Release Notes 5.2.0

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,256 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion

What’s New

New Collection: Innistrad: Midnight Hunt has arrived!
Get your hands on over 180 new cards, 3 new Planeswalkers, 1 new event, and more! Now in Magic: Puzzle Quest!

New Collection: Puzzle Masters (PMA), has arrived!
A brand new and exclusive collection only in Magic: Puzzle Quest! 

New Mechanics 

• Innistrad: Midnight Hunt  (MID)

Coven

• Coven is the Magic: Puzzle Quest version of the same named condition that relates to the amount of creatures with different powers on the battlefield. 

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest, Coven is a named condition that verifies if the player controls 2 or more creatures with different powers. Coven reads:

“This ability is active as long as you control 2 or more creatures with different powers.”

Coven

Day and Night

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest, Day and Night mechanics are split into sub mechanics that relate to the paper version of the Day and Night token and its adjacent mechanics.

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest the Day and Night token is adapted as a double sided token support that reads:

Day:
“As it becomes day, transform all Nightbound cards and Planeswalkers.”

Night:
“As it becomes night, transform all Daybound cards and Planeswalkers. When a card with Daybound is cast: Transform it.”

• The Daybound and Nightbound mechanics are new evergreen icons that sign that a creature is bound to a side of the Day and Night support.

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest, the Daybound and Nightbound hints read:

Daybound:
“At the end of each player’s turn: If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.”

Nightbound:
“At the end of each player’s turn: If a player casts at least two cards during their own turn, it becomes day next turn.”

Daybound                       Nightbound

• Some cards from the paper version had interactions with the Day and Night token even though they didn’t have the original Daybound and Nightbound mechanics. This was adapted as a new trigger and evergreen icon named Dayshift.

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest, the Dayshift hint reads:

“When this card enters the battlefield: If it’s neither day nor night - it becomes day.
When day becomes night or night becomes day: Perform the following effects —”

Dayshift

Imminent Death

• A new icon evergreen is introduced with Innistrad: Midnight Hunt (MID), called Imminent Death. It indicates that a creature is about to lose a reinforcement or be destroyed. The Imminent Death hint reads:

“This creature loses a reinforcement at the end of the turn. If it can’t, destroy it.”

Imminent Death

Decayed

• In Innistrad: Midnight Hunt (MID), an evergreen icon will be created for the Zombie tokens with Decayed. In Magic: Puzzle Quest, since all creatures attack every turn and no creatures block by default (except for creatures with specific evergreens), Decayed will be adapted differently.

• Decayed is an evergreen icon that reads:

“This creature Can’t Attack. At the beginning of the combat on your turn, you may have this creature lose Can’t Attack. If you do, it gains Imminent Death.”

Decayed

Disturb 

• The Disturb mechanic was adapted as a new mechanic that allows players to cast cards from their graveyard (respecting the Disturb cost’s colors). Cards with Disturb in the graveyard will gain mana when players match their colors’ respective gems and, when the cost is met, they’ll be cast from the graveyard transformed. When a transformed Disturb card dies, it is exiled. Its evergreen reads:

Disturb [Color]
“If this is the first card with Disturb [Color] in your graveyard, it gains 3 mana whenever you make a [Color] match. When this card is cast from your graveyard, transform it.”

Disturb

Bloodletting 

• The keyword Bloodletting is being introduced as a new named condition. It cares about the opponent having lost life during a given turn. Also, the keyword Casting a Spell is being introduced as a new named trigger for when the player casts a Spell card.

• The Bloodletting hint reads:

“This ability is active as long as your opponent has lost life this turn.”
  • The Casting a Spell hint reads:

“Perform the following effect(s) whenever you cast a Spell card.”

• Puzzle Master (PMA)

Corrupt

• Corrupt is the Black version of Improved Gems. It can only affect Black gems and, if it's unable to affect them (either due to the lack of Black gems on the board or because of another condition), Corrupt will convert gems to Black in order to improve them.

• Corrupted gem either gives mana to cards with Buried or makes the player lose life if they don’t own cards with Buried on their graveyard.

• Corrupted hint reads:

“When a player Corrupts a gem, the last card without Buried in their graveyard gains Buried X, where X is equal to that card's base mana cost. When a player destroys a Corrupted gem, it gives 3 mana to the last card with Buried in their graveyard that can gain mana. If one or more Corrupted gems can't give mana this way, that player loses 3 life for each time it has failed. Corrupted gems count as Improved gems.”

Corrupt

Unearth

• Unearth is a mechanic directly related to Buried, which can bring creatures from the graveyard directly to the battlefield. It plays similar to Flashback and Escape.

• When a card with Unearthed is cast from a graveyard, it gains haste and is reinforced a number of times equal to the number of instances of that card in its owner’s graveyard.

• Unearth hint reads:

“If this card is cast from your graveyard, it gains haste and is unearthed with X reinforcements, where X is the number of cards with the same name in your graveyard. Then, exile those cards. At the end of your turn or when this creature dies, if it was Unearthed, exile it.”

Unearth                           Unearthed 

Planeswalker Passive - MID

Harmony

• Arlinn and Wrenn have a passive ability named Harmony that represents both Wrenn’s symbiotic relationship with Seven and Arlinn’s dream of harmony between species.

• Mechanically speaking, Arlinn’s version is similar to the Daybound/Nightbound effects, transforming her whenever the period of the day shifts.

• Wrenn and Seven, however, have a strong passive to compensate for being a monocolored Planeswalker. Wrenn and Seven’s passive reads:

“When you convert gems for the first time during your turn: Convert 2 gems to Green.”

Harmony

Planeswalker Passive - PMA

Master of Death

• PMA Planeswalkers may now come with a passive ability. Liliana, Master of Death’s passive ability is named Master of Death.

• Master of Death is a passive with the goal of increasing interaction with the graveyard. It triggers special effects whenever a creature with Buried controlled by the player dies.

• Master of Death reads:

“When a creature you control with Buried dies: It gains half of its mana.”

Master of Death

New Planeswalker:

•  Innistrad: Midnight Hunt  (MID)

Wrenn and Seven

“Seven. Those are the number of times that the Planeswalker Wrenn has symbiotically bonded with a treefolk. The reason why, unfortunately, is unknown. For survival? Harmony? Power? This dryad is as puzzling as her current treefolk pair, Seven.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Overflowing
(Green) Support Card - Emblem (3) Token
Mana Field: Draw a card. 
When you draw a card: If you have 6 cards in your hand — Convert 2 gems to Green. This effect can trigger up to 3 time (s) per turn.

(See Planeswalker Progression HERE)

Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset

”For the lost and forgotten, I’ll keep watch”. Teferi stayed true to his oath to the Gatewatch when he came to aid the plane of Innistrad. The nights are longer and the werewolf threat is nigh. Nevertheless, Teferi will slow even time itself to bring a little more light in this moment of darkness.

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Borrowed Time
(White/Blue) Support Card - Dayshift (4) Token
Dayshift — If it's Day — Your White creatures get +1/+0 and gain Lifelink. Your Blue creatures get +0/+1 and gain Hexproof.
Otherwise: If it's Night — Disable all opposing Creature and Support until the beginning of your next turn.

Arlinn, the Pack’s Hope and Arlinn, the Moon’s Fury

“Arlinn Kord’s dream of a harmony between humans and werewolves strives further away as Innistrad’s nights grow longer and werewolves grow feraler. To protect the humans, Arlinn goes on a quest to restore the day and night balance - not just as a Planeswalker, but as a human. As a werewolf. As the pack’s hope.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Moon's Fury

(Red/Green) Creature - Werewolf (5/5), Imminent Death, Haste, Token
When this creature enters the battlefield: It gets +X/+X until end of turn. X is the sum of all your other creatures' power.  When this creature dies: If it's Night — It becomes Day.

Puzzle Master (PMA)

Liliana, Master of Death

“Many fear the cold and cringing clutches of death. Liliana is no different - she knows how powerful and frightening death can be, and she uses it. As a weapon, as a tool, as a means to an end. Liliana will not be surrendered by death: she’ll master it.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Zombie

Creature - Zombie (2/2) Token

Endless Ranks of the Dead

(Black) Support Card - Leyline (6) Token

Mana Field: Create 2 Zombie tokens. 

When you cast a Creature card from your graveyard: Reinforce that creature. Then, it gains the Zombie subtype. 

At the beginning of your turn: Create X Zombie tokens. X is half the number of Zombie cards you control, including their reinforcements, rounded down.

New Event

The Harvesttide

• Event Type: PvP, Coalition

• No Entrance Fee

• Deck Restrictions: Standard

• Rewards: Progression, Rank 

• Number of nodes: 2, each with different event support spawned for the player;

• All Planeswalkers’ colors are allowed

• Initial Charges: 1 | Max Charges: 4

• Recharge Time: 8h

• Event Duration: 46h

• New Feature

Battle

• Opponent’s Exile and Graveyard view.

• Changes:

Mechanic Icon Alteration

The Transform mechanic shows, in Magic: Puzzle Quest, an icon that indicates the front or back side of a card with Transform. These icons currently resemble a sun and a moon, similar to the SOI symbols on the cards.
    These icons will be visually changed into the abstract double sided cards’ symbols that have been shown on cards since ZNR, to avoid confusing players with the Dayshift, Daybound, and Nightbound icons.

Passive Ability - Chandra, Ignited

• PMA Planeswalkers may now come with a passive ability. Chandra, Ignited is being reworked to support a passive ability, which will be called Ignited.

• Ignited is a passive ability with the goal of helping players to access their spell resources easily while they’re focusing on gem destruction. Ignited reads:

“When you destroy one of your Activated gems: Fetch the first Spell card from your library. This effect can trigger up to 1 time(s) per turn

Mox Cards 

• All Puzzle Masters releases will contain its own Mox card. In this release, we'll have the Mox Jet (Black) for Liliana, Master of Death.

• From now on, all the Mox cards will have a specific color, according to the Planeswalker color from that PMA release. That’s why we're changing Mox Ruby (from the previous PMA content) to be a Red-colored card instead of Colorless.

Standard formatLegacy and Standard format will change with the release of MID set.Legacy Format: BFZ, OGW, SOI, EMN, KLD, AER, AKH, HOU, ZVE, XLN, RIX, DOM, M19, ODY, TOR, JUD, GNR, RNA, WAR, M20, ELD, THB, DVK, IKO, M21 Standard Format: ORI, PMA, ZNR, KHM, STX, AFR, MID Events Terror in the Shadows has had its rewards reworked:New rewards:

Update Rewards of Colors of MagicReward Booster Packs have changed for all Tiers as follows:20 Score Ribbon: KHM to STX 100 Score Ribbon: STX to AFR

A Timeless Voyage event changes:Reward Booster Packs have changed for all Tiers from M21 to AFRKept as a Standard Event

Booster Pack Price Changes:

Legacy Packs (Regular Price):Regular Pack: 60 Mana Crystals Super Pack: from 180 Mana Crystals to 170 Mana Crystals Premium Pack: from 300 to 280

Origins Packs  VIP (Regular Price):Regular Pack: 50 Mana CrystalsSuper Pack: from 160 Mana Crystals to 140 Mana Crystals Premium Pack: from 300 to 280

Standard Packs VIP (Regular Price):Regular Pack: 50 Mana CrystalsSuper Pack: from 170 Mana Crystals to 150 Mana Crystals Premium Pack: from 290 to 250

Legacy Packs VIP (Regular Price):Regular Pack: 50 Mana CrystalsSuper Pack: from 170 Mana Crystals to 140 Mana Crystals Premium Pack: from 290 to 230 Fixes:

Fixed the issue where the Rare Creature card Sigrid, God-favored (KHM) didn't lose the protections when the god left the enemy's field.Fixed an issue with the Common Creature card Lampad of Death's Vigil (THB), which was not being triggered when it dies.Fixed issue with deck build closing at the start of the hour.Fixed the issue with the Rare Creature card  Old-Growth Troll (KHM) that was giving mana to the wrong player when it causes a match on its death trigger.Fixed issue where the Rare Spell card Alter Reality (TOR) was not triggering any effect.Fixed the issue with the Support card Omens of the End giving full mana only with Legendary creatures.Fixed the issue where the Masterpiece Creature card Void Maw (KHM) doesn't trigger for the Nightmare Harvest ability of Ashiok, Nightmare Muse Planeswalker.Fixed an issue with the Uncommon Creature card Shessra, Death’s Whisper (AFR) triggering lose life without drawing cards.Fixed the issue where the Uncommon Creature card Chaos Channeler (AFR) was rolling D20 without drawing cards.Fixed an issue with Uncommon Spell card You Meet in a Tavern (AFR), where the opponent was fetching only 1 card instead of 2.Fixed an issue where the spells disabled by the Mythic Creature card Xanathar, Guild Kingpin (AFR) was appearing as enabled on the opponent’s hand.Fixed an issue with the  Mythic Creature card  Xanathar, Guild Kingpin (AFR) that did not affect Adventure spells.Fixed the issue where the Battle Log did not differ deal damage from lose life. Fixed the issue where the Rare Creature card Werewolf Pack Leader (AFR) was converting gems without draw.
      Innistrad: Midnight Hunt - Card Gallery

Comments

• BongoTheGrey
        BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
        @Oktagon_Support Thanks a lot for the info! We cannot see the usual Planeswalker preview where the abilities are displayed. Can we get some more info about those 3 new Planeswalkers soon?
      • Magic:PQ Support Team
        Of course! I'm just finishing up a few things here 😅
         I will post soon 😁
        Thanks for the interest,
        Rebeca
      • BongoTheGrey
        BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
        Thanks, you rock!
      • Magic:PQ Support Team
        edited October 2021
        Here it is! 🤩 @BongoTheGrey, it was faster than I thought it would be 😂
        I hope you like the new Planeswalkers, I particularly loved!

Oh, and the Planeswalkers Progression I will post little by little in the Planeswalker Details  section, as I post I'll add the links here
        Rebeca
      • madwren
        madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

• In Magic: Puzzle Quest, Coven is a named condition that verifies if the player controls 2 or more creatures with different powers. Coven reads:

“This ability is active as long as you control 2 or more creatures with different powers.”

Just to clarify, is this different power as in power/toughness? Or different powers as in abilities? We're assuming it's the power/toughness but wanted to make sure.
      • Stormcrow
        Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
        Kinda underwhelmed by the new walkers (especially baffling: Arlinn's "Howl of Command" where I can pay 12 loyalty to...gain loyalty equal to my wolves/werewolves/reinforcements...so unless I have a ton of creatures out already, I can just lose some loyalty for no benefit?)

Also not looking forward to yet another Standard rotation coming without a "Standard format" filter in the deckbuilder. We should've had this literally years ago. Please remove the "full artwork" filter that nobody uses and replace it with "Standard format", please and thanks.

But then I saw this:

• Fixed issue with deck build closing at the start of the hour.

This, this I am very happy about. If I'm gonna spend all that time manually building a bunch of new-Standard-legal decks, at least I won't get interrupted on the hour!

• Gunmix25
        Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
        92 health for Teferi... I am guessing his abilities in practice are more powerful than it reads?

Super stoked that the top of the hour deck interruption issue has been fixed. Good lord has that plagued us all for years. Thank you guys.

Not sure what to make of Wren & 7. Looks like a conversion beast if I am reading it right. Was sorely disappointed in Wrenn & 7's first version... the loyalties are too self destructive by delaying play in an attempt to bring out lands for mana and the loyalties are neither offensive or defensive; unless you count Nantuko Monastery ( a legacy card that we cannot use in standard ). 
      • Nighteyes5678
        Nighteyes5678 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
        Do we have any ballpark idea of when this Update is coming out? I'm super excited to play with all the new cards!
      • Ampersand
        Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
        Do we have any ballpark idea of when this Update is coming out? I'm super excited to play with all the new cards!
        My guess is next week.
      • Gunmix25
        Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
        Ampersand said:
        My guess is next week.
        I agree. They've been holding to this pattern for the past few sets
      • ambrosio191
        ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
        Gunmix25 said:
        Ampersand said:
        My guess is next week.
        I agree. They've been holding to this pattern for the past few sets

It's not just the past few sets, it's nearly all of the updates for a while now.  There is typically a pre-release notice, followed by an update the following week.
      • DrRuphus
        DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
        First of all, I would like to join the chorus of praise for the deck building fix.

Secondly, I will miss dearly the shadowspear in standard. I guess the poet's quill could be a decent crutch though.

About the new set, I am pretty excited. Innistrad is one of my favourite settings and I am curious to see how the whole day/night gimmick would play out.

On a final note, I agree that the new planeswalkers are a bit underwhelming but I am confident that Arlinn and teferi will have a second wind when crimson vow is out (with more day/night cards)
      • OmniTron
        OmniTron Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
        Would be Nice if you could change the layout of your original post to something readable from left to right, instead of from top to bottom, @Oktagon_support
        Thanks! ;)
      • TomB
        TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
        edited October 2021
        madwren said:

Just to clarify, is this different power as in power/toughness? Or different powers as in abilities? We're assuming it's the power/toughness but wanted to make sure.

It could mean Evergreens too, I'd imagine... :)
      • Machine
        Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
        What's the exact definition in "color match" here @Oktagon_Support?

Disturb [Color]
        “If this is the first card with Disturb [Color] in your graveyard, it gains 3 mana whenever you make a [Color] match. When this card is cast from your graveyard, transform it.”

Not too long ago, I posted in the bug section that Enhance gems only enhance cards when they are matched by the swap that is being made manually by the player. Enhanced gems matched by a cascade or gem conversion lands / spells do not enhance cards, which make this mechanic very bad imho, and then I'm not even talking about gems not being enhanced by cards with Enhance in your opening hand (which I also reported and apparently hasn't been fixed yet).

Thanks for all the hard work. I'm really happy with the o'clock deck building fix!
      • soultwist
        soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker

• A Timeless Voyage event changes:

• Reward Booster Packs have changed for all Tiers from M21 to AFR

• Kept as a Standard Event

Defiantly thought this would have generated more discussion
      • LoboX01
        LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker
        soultwist said:

• A Timeless Voyage event changes:

• Reward Booster Packs have changed for all Tiers from M21 to AFR

• Kept as a Standard Event

Defiantly thought this would have generated more discussion Not much to discuss, they don't have many standard coalition events left, they decided to keep that one around.

This is a love-hate event, you either love it, or hate it. Love it because of the challenge, hate it because of the challenge lol.

For me it is pretty simple, if you can avoid certain decks on the bottom, you have a good survival chance, if you can't you are a goner. For instance, after rotation probably you don't want to see anything that starts with Tiamat and continues with Koth/Sarkhan/Kalemne  :)
      • QuiksilverHg
        QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
        Thus the problem. It’s a dice roll more than a skill test. Some matches are literally unwinnable, some are a breeze. I prefer a game that tests skill, or I would just play my Yahtzee app