Razia Damage Trigger + Summoner’s Pact [fixed]

jtwood
jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2022 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
Razia just stopped triggering off of Summoner’s Pact damage.

She still triggers when an opponent’s source causes damage. 

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards

Hello @jtwood ,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me.

Rebeca.

• Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I had Razia in the final match of AWR this past weekend with Karn as my PW. When I would use Karn's 1st, I would get 3 damage (x2) from the exiled cards and perm support, but no Razia damage was inflicted on the opponent. Maybe these two issues are related.
  • jtwood
    I had Razia in the final match of AWR this past weekend with Karn as my PW. When I would use Karn's 1st, I would get 3 damage (x2) from the exiled cards and perm support, but no Razia damage was inflicted on the opponent. Maybe these two issues are related.
    Ew that’s no good. That’s from the permanent support, right? And that’s in Greg’s control, isn’t it?
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    When I first got Razia I tried making a deck with with Final Payment (destroy target creature, you lose 4 life) as one of the kill spells.  It never trigger Razia so I figured at the time there was a distinction between lose of life and damage.  Clearly that was incorrect at the time, because Summoner's Pact is also lose of life, not damage, and it would trigger Razia.  AWR 2.3 is also a lose of life trigger, not damage, so it's at least consistent right now, but not in the past.  Without knowing if there is a difference between the two wordings as far as damage triggers, it's hard to tell what's a bug and what's intended.
  • Theophilus
    jtwood said:Ew  that’s no good. That’s from the permanent support, right? And that’s in Greg’s control, isn’t it?
    I don't recall the exact wording of the perm support, but it causes 3 damage to you anytime one of your cards is exiled. Maybe I misunderstand the question. I haven't had my coffee yet. 
    Without knowing if there is a difference between the two wordings as far as damage triggers, it's hard to tell what's a bug and what's intended.
    I wonder how often a bug is reclassified as "working as intended" simply because they have neither the time nor the desire to fix it. 
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Based on the 5.2.0 Pre-Release notes:
    • Fixes:

• Fixed the issue where the Battle Log did not differ deal damage from lose life.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is difference between deal damage and lose of life, and Razia no longer getting triggered by Summoner's Pact is a result of that difference.

• jtwood
    Based on the 5.2.0 Pre-Release notes:
    • Fixes:

• Fixed the issue where the Battle Log did not differ deal damage from lose life.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is difference between deal damage and lose of life, and Razia no longer getting triggered by Summoner's Pact is a result of that difference.

Nearly-impolite rant: I really do hate it when we have to find out about these changes after the fact. Changes this dramatic should not be Advanced Puzzles.
  • Theophilus
    Sometimes I wonder if these are actual changes or unintentional results from other changes. They have no desire to correct them, so they just issue it as "working as intended" or some sort of change/update.
  • jtwood
    This should be closed, yeah?
  • jtwood
    Just saw this was marked [fixed], but it's not fixed, as in "returned to the previous state where Razia will trigger when Summoner's Pact triggers." This is now [working as described] after the barely-announced rules change in 5.2.0 that suddenly began to differentiate loss of life from damage taken. Summoner's Pact causes you to lose life. Razia triggers when you take damage. The rule change breaks the pre-existing combo.
    Please consider making fundamental rule changes more prominent. For example, the vigilance/defender topic was thoroughly discussed and announced ahead of time. That should be the standard for all changes that impact the fundamental operating conditions of the game.
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor