Spells, support effects, and creature abilities not happening? [Can’t reproduce]

Options
iSmartMan
iSmartMan Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
edited September 2021 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
Yesterday, I launched the game for the first time in over a year, and for some reason, spells, supports, and creature abilities are not doing anything. Evergreen creature abilities still work, but no other triggered or static abilities are happening. Removal spells aren't even letting me target anything between when they are cast and when they go to my graveyard. For an example of this, here are some screenshots I took during the 3rd battle of the Ikoria story tutorial. As you can see, Mysterious Egg has been reinforced from Vulpikeet mutating onto it, but it still has 0 power even though the Egg's Mutation ability should have given it +1/+1 (in this case, the ability to mutate is considered an Evergreen ability and still works, but the unique effects that are supposed to happen when a creature is mutated onto are not Evergreen and are not happening for me). This sort of behavior applies to every spell, support, and creature ability in the game that I've tried. I haven't seen any other complaints about an issue like this, so I suspect that this is unique to me and is related to the fact that I haven't launched the game in over a year.

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @iSmartMan - I recommend that you remove your UID from the post.

What you describe seems very much like the “data push” bug. Though it has been a while since this was reported, it might possibly be what affected you. The fix is to close the app completely and restart the app.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for all the information provided.
    This issue will be investigated!
    (Note that: I erased your UID from the text after adding it to the investigation. Do not post your UID here!)
  • iSmartMan
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @iSmartMan - I recommend that you remove your UID from the post.

What you describe seems very much like the “data push” bug. Though it has been a while since this was reported, it might possibly be what affected you. The fix is to close the app completely and restart the app.

@Tremayne Completely closing and relaunching the app didn't help, and restarting my phone didn't help. The only thing I haven't tried is completely reinstalling the app, and I don't have a Facebook account to link to my game, so I'd rather not risk losing all my progress by putting on a fresh installation and then be unable to reconnect to my account.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2021
    Options
    dumb question but you do have the newest version of the game in your app store, correct?

Edit to add:  Its a interesting puzzle, most people have upgraded from 1 release to the next maybe skipping 1 or 2 at most.  What happens when you upgrade to 4.8.3 from 4.0.0.  
  • iSmartMan
    Options
    soultwist said:
    dumb question but you do have the newest version of the game in your app store, correct?

@soultwist It updated itself right before I launched it yesterday and the app store isn't offering me any more updates, so I certainly hope it's the most recent version. Just to be sure, though, my client version is 4.8.3.48154, my data version is 4.8.3.48164, and my server version is 3.8.0. Are those all the most recent versions?
  • soultwist
    Options
    that is what i show as well
  • iSmartMan
    Options
    Remind me, if I were to uninstall and reinstall the app, would there be any way for me to reconnect to my account other than linking it with Facebook? I think I've done it once before in the past, but I can't remember whether it still recognized me after the reinstallation or if I needed to give it my UID or something...
  • soultwist
    Options
    note your UID; wipe, reinstall

I haven't opened a ticket in a while but i think its still settings -> Helpcenter (FAQ)
    then click on the message icon in upper corner
    best if you say old UID is 123zyz and then New UID is abc789 or whatever
  • iSmartMan
    Options
    soultwist said:
    note your UID; wipe, reinstall

I haven't opened a ticket in a while but i think its still settings -> Helpcenter (FAQ)
    then click on the message icon in upper corner
    best if you say old UID is 123zyz and then New UID is abc789 or whatever

If it's that easy, then I'll consider doing it later today when I have time.
    @Oktagon_Support I know you probably won't respond to this, but as a developer, I know how frustrating it can be for someone to fix a problem through reinstallation before the dev assigned to the issue can identify what went wrong and find a way to prevent anyone else from having the same problem. Do you know if the MtGPQ team has enough info on my account and my issue for me to reinstall the game without accidentally screwing over whoever is trying to fix it?
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @iSmartMan - it is not uncommon to get the response “unable to reproduce” to your bug report 3-4 months after posting it.

So I think that you can just reinstall your app, if you are comfortable with the procedure your have and actually want to play the game.
  • iSmartMan
    Options
    Reinstalled the app, problem was fixed and it remembered my account info without any hassle. Issue resolved!
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

We could not reproduce this issue. If you face it again please let us know.

In order to help us, please provide the following information if you have it (you can PM me the answer if you prefer, or send it to Customer Support in-game):

• A screenshot of the battle log?

• The Planeswalker you were using and its level.

• Which Event and Node.

• All cards in the deck and possible interactions that might have happened.

Thank you,
    Rebeca.