Has there been a lack of comic characters released recently?

System
System Posts: 1,024 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: New Character - **** The Hydra Stomper (Steve Rogers) ****.

Comments

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Hugely disappointing, this game should be renamed DPPQ. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel used to be a company that sold comics, and now they're a movie studio that happens to occasionally sell a few comic books.  If they could get out of the comic business entirely, I'm sure they would.  (Warners has talked about doing this with DC for a long time.).

As it stands, comic books are advertisements for the movies and tv shows that actually make money.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sweet, another Disney+ quota.  Take a couple months off from releasing new characters.  

I don't get this comment.
    Disney+ characters:
    Monica Rambeau (completely new)
    Scarlet Witch (one of the most requested 5* versions of an existing character asked for that I have seen over the years)
    Alligator Loki (seemed pretty popular choice from a show about variants)
    They could have given us lazy version of Sam or Bucky at the 5* tier but didn't.
    So Hydra Stomper (who isn't even a Captain America variant) is the first one who already has multiple other Steve Rogers at every tier - however you can't really blame MPQ for wanting to do him in the light of their version of Peggy being in the spotlight in that shows episode.
    Otherwise we have had Electro, Lizard, Mantis, Morbius, Odin, Knull, Ronan so it isn't like it is just complete variants all the time.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    @DAZ0273
    I get ya point but I will add to it: Mantis and Ronan aren't comic book versions. Its same coin but the other side of it. So there are more to that problem: we've got plenty of non-comic book versions characters who were mostly released since MCU has become a big thing. Mostly as a Nick Fury example show us a different approach. I still do not know wheter he is MCU or Nick Furt Jr.

Also I've already grew up from being grumpy when we are getting a non-comic book version. Better such than nothing. Or 6th Rogers or Parker.
  • DAZ0273
    Mr_F said:
    @DAZ0273
    I get ya point but I will add to it: Mantis and Ronan aren't comic book versions. Its same coin but the other side of it. So there are more to that problem: we've got plenty of non-comic book versions characters who were mostly released since MCU has become a big thing. Mostly as a Nick Fury example show us a different approach. I still do not know wheter he is MCU or Nick Furt Jr.

Also I've already grew up from being grumpy when we are getting a non-comic book version. Better such than nothing. Or 6th Rogers or Parker.

I would love them to use the Introducing storyline for comic book Mantis - a Vietnamese hooker turned assassin who married a tree!
    Ronan is one of those characters who had no personality in the comic book and so his MCU counterpart who likewise has no personality isn't really a huge swerve ball.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm indifferent to it for the most part. I haven't engaged with a paper marvel comic since 1992, so I don't really mind the cinematic versions showing up. It just bugs me when they are lame mechanically right out of the box. I do love some classic comic references though. I loved it when 5* Dr Octopus came out looking like Roy Orbison in his real clothes, I was hoping for awhile that variants at the 5* tier would be like that leaving the more attainable tiers to be where the more entry level cinematic versions were kept.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    I’m trying to remember the last character we’ve had introduced that truly was a classic Marvel character not butchered by Disney . Electro may not be Disney but neither is she the classic villain. Kate Pryde I never heard of in the spin-off persona . I’m thinking Knull as the closest to fitting the description. ( Hopefully Disney won’t delete this post either ).
  • iteration2
    iteration2 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    DAZ0273 said:
    Ronan is one of those characters who had no personality in the comic book and so his MCU counterpart who likewise has no personality isn't really a huge swerve ball.

Whoah!  Throwing some real shade Ronan's way!  Who's The Accuser now?  YOU ARE!

But yeah, I agree.  Ronin being so bland and generic is one of the key reasons I rank GotG Volume 2 ahead of Volume 1.  Also Nebula, who goes on to have one of the best arcs in the MCU, is only really developed starting in Volume 2.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    I’m trying to remember the last character we’ve had introduced that truly was a classic Marvel character not butchered by Disney . Electro may not be Disney but neither is she the classic villain. Kate Pryde I never heard of in the spin-off persona . I’m thinking Knull as the closest to fitting the description. ( Hopefully Disney won’t delete this post either ).
    Kate Pryde is 100% from the comics.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    edited September 2021
    MegaBee said:
    Kate Pryde is 100% from the comics.
    I agree , and I didn’t read the hundreds of X titles , so I’m unfamiliar with this character , although I know the Marauders well and she was never with them in the classic era . 
    Odin , a classic Marvel ,has been in the MCU since original Thor . 
    I’m talking about everyone from Absorbing Man and Annihilus to Hercules and Zzzax 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Comics were in a years-long death spiral before the MCU brought interest back to them.  The MCU is almost definitely why this game managed to survive so long, and why it continues to be successful.

Someone could theoretically take a stand and create a game that just caters to hardcore comic book fans, ignoring the millions of people who *only* know these characters from movies and tv shows. 

That game would make like 10% as much money as this one and would probably exist for a few months before closing down.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you give it time, all those deep cuts will show up onscreen. People can say what they want about the MCU, but they are definitely rooting around into the corners of the toy box and not just taking out whatever batman family thing is on top like Warner Bros (shots fired!).
  • DAZ0273
    Zzzax? Ha ha seriously?!?!? If we are going to Zzzax levels of barrel scraping then please please please can we have Turner D Century, Drom the Backwards Man and of course Paste Pot Pete!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Zzzax? Ha ha seriously?!?!? If we are going to Zzzax levels of barrel scraping then please please please can we have Turner D Century, Drom the Backwards Man and of course Paste Pot Pete!
    @DAZ0273
    Yes, all day, every day....
    Condiment King vs Paste Pot Pete Joke - Battles - Comic Vine
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    @DAZ0273
    We've already got half of the Frightful Four in game...
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    MegaBee said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    @DAZ0273
    We've already got half of the Frightful Four in game...
    I'm hoping that the new She-Hulk series has Awesome Andy... though currently only Titania is confirmed, so that would make 3 Frightful Four members....
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    DAZ0273 said:
    I only used the reference as the omega listed Marvel character alphabetical but you get the idea . And I’d take Trapster 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is definitely going way off topic, but the creator of MODOK was told he could use any Marvel character except for three:  Paste Pot Pete, Stilt Man and Turner D Century.  Go figure.

https://www.ign.com/articles/modok-series-co-creators-on-why-they-chose-modok-and-which-marvel-cameos-werent-allowed