***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing the PvP a bit I wish I had 300 pulls lol. Shang-Chi would make for an awesome solo 5*. He might be bad on defense but that pink ability is pretty devastating if the AI managed to rng it in the right spot.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's kind of a perfect "first 5*," because he can beat literally anything if you're skilled enough with him.  You won't have to worry about getting matches you can't win, because there are no matches that you can't win.

Also great: he can take apart people's annoying defensive "float teams" quite easily.  He's gonna be an all-star in Sim where annoying defensive teams are all anyone ever uses.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I'm really into him. He's one of the few 1/1/1 pvp 5*s that I've built teams around.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now I'm curious on watching the film for to know if he actually deserves the Mpq Number 1 Damager Title.
    Players having experience with that great 4* character karnak have a great advantage on learning how to play shang chi.
    Another thing, I remembered that black  power wich no one wanted but now can be a great partner for him, destroying green and turning tiles to purple, good ol' knull.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I'm really into him. He's one of the few 1/1/1 pvp 5*s that I've built teams around.

Yep. I'm seeing some teams I can't remember ever seeing in PVP.
    I got to 16 wins at the start of the event without using any of my champ 5s. I was beating Britty and Wanda/Colossus teams with 4s and under-covered 5s.
  • Nero
    Nero Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    A lot of fun with him in pvp I paired this guy with colossus and wanda. I think it's the first time i climb so easily. His purple ability is devastating, even Jug4rnaut is down to dust. :D 

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2021
    Bad said:
    Now I'm curious on watching the film for to know if he actually deserves the Mpq Number 1 Damager Title.
    Players having experience with that great 4* character karnak have a great advantage on learning how to play shang chi.
    Another thing, I remembered that black  power wich no one wanted but now can be a great partner for him, destroying green and turning tiles to purple, good ol' knull.
    SWitch 5 (set to TU to purple or red) and Knull , I’ve actually reached 10 several times .
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing the PvP a bit I wish I had 300 pulls lol. Shang-Chi would make for an awesome solo 5*. He might be bad on defense but that pink ability is pretty devastating if the AI managed to rng it in the right spot.
    He hit my BRB for 25k damage so I imagine that a champed Shang Chi will be pretty annoying, and a god boosted one will be hell.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    So apparently there's a dude taking down boosted 5's in pvp with loaner Shang, mystique, and 2* magneto

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/peluoj/i_call_****_on_this_team_beating_my_loaner_shang/
  • entrailbucket
    Yeah, the defensive meta didn't last very long, did it?  I love it!

Everyone who went all in for 550 SW and Colossus, prepare to get obliterated by a horde of 450 Shang-Chis.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    How fast do you think Shang Chi will be in PvP? I like him, but he is so slow for me. The entire match is slowed as I think about the next best move. I think he'll guarantee you a win depending on the board state, but at the cost of speed and as we all know, speed is king in PvP.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2021
    So Shang Chi is the new Karnak. Or Karnak on steroids. Basically.

I can almost smell that Shang + Chavez + Killmonger meta.
  • entrailbucket
    Akoni said:
    How fast do you think Shang Chi will be in PvP? I like him, but he is so slow for me. The entire match is slowed as I think about the next best move. I think he'll guarantee you a win depending on the board state, but at the cost of speed and as we all know, speed is king in PvP.
    I hate to keep referring back to pre-nerf 3* Magneto because nobody was around then, but it's the closest comparison I have in the same game. 

He was the same deal...lots of thought required to place his tiles effectively.  He was quite slow at first, but as I used him more and more it got easier and faster to use him.  After a few months I was pretty fast at it.  (Then he got nerfed)

I don't think Shang-Chi is ever going to be as fast as the Okoye/X teams were, but given some skill at puzzle-solving and a whole lot of practice, I think he can be fast enough to be usable.  It's going to depend on your skill as a player more than any other character does, though.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What teams have you tried in the current pvp with Shang Chi? Share your ideas.

Besides 5* Storm and 1/2 Thor, I have used

1) Rogue and 3* Cyclops (3/5/5)

This team can go winfinite as well. 

Over in reddit, someone used unchamped 2* Magneto and Mystique to beat champed Rescue and BRB. They were the original winfinite team. Even though he didnt go winfinite, he still managed to win the match.
  • entrailbucket
    Most of the good board manipulation powers are at lower tiers and many are purple, so they conflict.  If you want to kill the enemy, Shang-Chi really wants to be using purple. 

I have a few ideas (that I haven't tried) though:

4* Xavier will feed you 4 red AP on any color match-5, which should be easy to set up.

Riri's blue power should generate insanity.

Modok's black power is cheap and adds a lot of reds to the board.

If you go further down, 3* Bullseye has a chosen-tile destruction power on green, and 3* Storm green/yellow should easily go infinite with Shang-Chi.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m ashamed to admit I’ve been riding boosted Beta Ray Bill and Captain America Infinity War to get to 1200 lol. But before that I used half Thor/cyclops to pump match damage as well as Killmonger/Scarlet Witch, and I also used the Cascade Bros which worked really well.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Rogue and Odin failed badly because Odin was sent to the Afterlife within 2 or 3 turns and Shang Chi was tanking his colours. So, he wae eating 6k match damage instead of 1 damage. Sadly, I couldn't get him to turn 1/1/1 Shang-Chi into 5/5/5.

IMHB failed badly as well because his power costs was probably high but I'll try again when I champ Shang Chi. The extra 2 tiles that you can choose to destroy is game changing.

4* Cyclops failed badly too.

Here's some new teams that can go winfinite:

3* Wanda(3/5/5) and Agent Coulson was pretty good to go winfinite.

Domino and 3* Gambit could actually work if Shang Chi is champed. With only 33k health in pvp, 6 moves from boosted champed 5* downs him easily. 

Shang Chi is receiving raving reviews in reddit and players are having fun creating their own puzzles with him. He might not be your speed king in pvps or pves but he seems to rejuvenate interest in the game somewhat. He's the most interesting 5* character released this year as of now. We still have 4 more 5* waiting to be released this year and it's going to be challenging trying to overthrow Shang Chi. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    After climbing in his pvp.
    On offense the support he gives is huge even being a 1/1/1 loaner. Even if you don't play on winning his combos, if your team has red and purple free he can make possible the impossible. 
    On defense it happens too, AI is dumb. However usind red and purple AI can create nasty and unexpected moves.
    Apart from being a killing machine I think he adds a lot of freshness to pvp and to the game. 
    I think he will have his place pretty soon.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    Worst thing is how long I have to wait for the ones I don’t want to cycle out. But for me he’s nailed on for calls for a nerf. It doesn’t matter he’s slow, it doesn’t matter he takes a bit of thought, when people punch up with a loaner and two stars he’s getting a nerf. People with 550s do not like being taken down from that far below and they pay the bills.

I might have to go back to playing my final match with ihulk again to stop that team.