***** Shang-Chi (Origin) *****

Neko
Neko Posts: 91 Site Admin
edited October 2021 in Character Details

Shang-Chi (Origin)

5-Star Rarity
Affiliations: Heroes, Avengers, Team Iron Man

"Raised in isolation to be the world's greatest master of martial arts, Shang-Chi broke free of his father's insidious influence rather than let his skills be used for evil. In the outside world, Shang-Chi has little wealth and few allies, but with his discipline and training he will earn respect worthy of a hero."
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
15645 Health / 62885 Health
 32 | 248 | 193 | 220 | 30 | 27 | 123 | 4.5x
 126 | 992 | 772 | 882 | 116 | 107 | 491 | 4.5x

Vital Balance - 7  AP
Disciplined breathing keeps energy flowing through Shang-Chi's body in times of intense exertion. Destroys 3 chosen basic or Team-Up tiles. Shang-Chi restores 576 health for each Combo Point he has. (Destroyed tiles deal damage but do not gain AP). (Max level restores 2317 health)
  • Level 2: Restores 699 health per Combo Point. (Max level restores 2814 health)
  • Level 3: Restores 823 health per Combo Point. (Max level restores 3310 health)
  • Level 4: Destroys 4 tiles.
  • Level 5: Destroys 5 tiles. Restores 1070 health per Combo Point. (Max level restores 4303 health)
Deadly Hands - 7  AP
When properly trained, the bare hand is as powerful as any weapon. Converts a chosen basic or Team-Up tile into a Critical tile. For every 5 Combo Points he has, Shang-Chi converts one of the basic tiles surrounding the chosen tile to a Charged tile.
  • Level 2: Creates a Charged tile for every 4 Combo Points.
  • Level 3: Creates a Charged tile for every 3 Combo Points.
  • Level 4: Creates a Charged tile for every 2 Combo Points.
  • Level 5: Creates a Charged tile for each Combo Point.
River of Blows -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Shang-Chi maintains a relentless flow of attacks. Whenever Shang-Chi's team makes a Red or Purple match, he gains a Combo Point (Up to 10). Each Combo Point increases Shang-Chi's match damage by 74. If Shang-Chi ends a turn without his team having made a Red or Purple match he loses all Combo Points. (Max level 298 damage)
  • Level 2: Increases match damage by 81. (Max level 328 damage)
  • Level 3: Increases match damage by 89. (Max level 358 damage)
  • Level 4: Increases match damage by 104. (Max level 417 damage)
  • Level 5: Increases match damage by 133. (Max level 536 damage)

Release Schedule

Store Offerings

Masterful Shang-Chi Cover Store - Aug 26-Sept 5

• Chance to get Shang-Chi (Origin). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Zheng Shang-Chi Limited Vault - Sept 2-7

• 40 Items

• 1x Action Heroes Legendary Store Token

• 1x 4-Star Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) cover

• 3x Random 3-Star covers

• 6x Heroic tokens

• 4x 2500 Iso

• 6x 1000 Iso

• 5x 500 Iso

• 14x Two stars

Action Heroes Legendary Store - Sept 2-7

• 15% chance to get Shang-Chi (Origin), Captain America (Infinity War), Yelena Belova (Black Widow)

• Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Release Debut:

Venom Bomb - Aug 26-31

• Shang-Chi (Origin) in placement rewards

Introducing… Shang-Chi - Aug 26-Sept 2

Featured Event:

Strange Sights - Aug 30-Sept 3

• Shang-Chi (Origin) as a progression reward

Versus Tournaments:

Smash Hit (Hulk (Indestructible)) - Aug 26-30

• Shang-Chi (Origin) shards as a placement reward

Martial Awe - Aug 29-Sept 1

• Rewards tokens to the Masterful Shang-Chi cover store

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    This is 5* Karnak without getting hit with Circuit Breaker every other turn, has a true heal and a sort of temporary match damage increase, depending on how you see things. However, instead of converting 3 basic tiles into critical tiles, he converts one instead. And he can create up to 8 charge tiles.

Having to match red or purple tiles every turn is stressful actually.   :D i found the best team for him in 5* land: Thor and Storm.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2021
    More critical tile fun at the 5* level, excellent. 

Cost of just 7 to destroy tiles sounds great. 

Hero plus 2 affiliations?  Hmm, interesting. 

Looking forward to further info!
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    With the anniversary coming up I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Original Character. Deadpool was released last year, wasn't he? So another would make sense. As for who though.... I don't know who it would be but it's clear that Puzzle Quest's OCs tend to be based on existing characters instead of entirely new ones. 

Regardless. No matter how OP this kit sounds, it looks really really fun. Even the term "Combo Point" sounds goofy like something out of Street Fighter. 

It's rather early, but this kit would make sense for Shang Chi. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hm…feels like this character wants to slot between the cascade bros. Need to see the power numbers I guess.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combo would be more interesting with three colours. Seems convoluted as is, I seem to rarely get more than a couple matches in the same colours in a row. Does 1/2 Thor tile destruction count as a match? I’m guessing not but mine is at 0/0/0.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,804 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's some infinite turns potential here, like old 3* Magneto.  (If you weren't around in 2014, Magneto had a blue power that cost 5ap and changed 2 chosen tiles of any color into blue protect tiles).

Hopefully someone tested this out with anyone who can add red or purple tiles to the board, otherwise we might see this guy fixed quickly, like 4* Starlord was.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Indeed, it seems pretty funny. 
    Martial skills and healing, it could be the ancient one.
    Really cheap critical tiles plus charged tiles, and 2 powers selectively shaking the board, this guy can fit any type of team. 

• BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Are the charge tiles at least in his own colors if he's going to make something he can't use.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combo would be more interesting with three colours. Seems convoluted as is, I seem to rarely get more than a couple matches in the same colours in a row. Does 1/2 Thor tile destruction count as a match? I’m guessing not but mine is at 0/0/0.
    It doesn't count as a match, it's "tile destruction." You have some ok options for adding red to the board in the 5* tier, less so to add purple. 

Sighclops: for 10 green he will add 7 red and stun somebody
    Profe$$or X: for 8 purple he can add 3 red or 3 purple, but purple comes with the offset of a totally random scramble so you may end up with just 3 purple when you're done
    5Torm: 9 yellow you can convert 6 team up to a chosen color, and for 10 green you can completely remove one color from the board
    Iron Man: 10 blue will convert 8 of enemy strongest color to red, but after the board settles from any cascades he destroys whatever is left. If this character turns out to be Team Iron Man, this could be interesting 
    Rescue: for 9 blue she'll steal some enemy tiles and turns all other non-red enemy tiles to red. That one can be a huge bag of nothing or a spectacular cascade machine
    5Witch: for 3 purple can convert 2 team ups to a chosen color any time there are less than 10
    Carbage: takes two turns if there are enough enemy specials, his strongest two colors are green and red so he's likely to chase those
    Onslaught: huge cascade potential, and for 7 blue he can reverse the enemy's highest and lowest colors but that is going to depend entirely on who you're fighting as to whether that meets this condition or not

It could be that there is a killer 4* play-up character for this; Riri, Nightcrawler, I'm sure some others I'm not thinking of right now.

• HoundofShadow
    edited August 2021
    The abilities fit well with Shang Chi.

10 Combo Points = 10 Rings

Logically, he can create a maximum of 5 charged tiles, which represent the 5 weapons. He can also destroy a maximum of 5 basic or teamup tiles.

The only thing out of place is that his match damage is increased by a fixed number, not percentage. If not, I would have guess 500%. I think his max match damage will increase by 1000.

I'm confident he can create infinite combo with great teammates. Since it works for Karnak, it will work for him.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,804 Chairperson of the Boards
    The idea would be to use his targeted tile destruction to make red/purple matches, or to provide another color of AP to a teammate who can put red and/or purple onto the board.  It's probably too slow for PvP or competitive PvE, but it could beat anything if you go infinite.

7AP for this guy's powers is more than Old Magneto's 5AP was, but with Magneto, if you boosted 5 blue, probably 75% of the time the enemy never got a turn.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2021
    Interesting concept but I'm not liking HAVING to make a red or purple match or lose it all.  Should've really lost a smaller number, capping out at losing 1 at lv 5 power.

Also devs, can you just give us the numbers in the teaser lol.  It's really hard to get a feel for a character when everything's "does some damage" or "does more damage"
  • HoundofShadow
    edited August 2021
    If you look at his abilities, he has zero ability that deals power damage, apart from damage from destruction of tiles. So, if his max damage increase by 10,000 points after getting 10 Combo Points, I won't be surprised.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    With him creating crits and charged tiles too could be a good pairing with Colossus as you would have high match damage in Red, Blue, Purple, Yellow and Black.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Bad said:
    Indeed, it seems pretty funny. 
    Martial skills and healing, it could be the ancient one.
    Really cheap critical tiles plus charged tiles, and 2 powers selectively shaking the board, this guy can fit any type of team. 

What I like is if I'm reading it right then you get to chose the critical tile as well. Lots of potential there.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    I don't get why his blue doesn't count blue matches as well. He looks like a fun casual character that will play terribly on defense. His purple might have the potential to one-shot lower health characters but good luck getting enough combo counters. It would be nice if his purple also created a randomly placed crit as well.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Defensively it's not expected AI will do much with him.
    But in offense he has huge potential. 
    His purple at level 5 could create 2 charged tiles per CP.
    And we are talking about critical tiles near charged tiles, easily rounding 40k damage for only 7 AP. If his parters are the match damage duo, colossus and AW, only in green it would be wasted.
    Still it is needed to see the numbers, as always. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    No idea but it seems like it will be a popular character in comic or MCU. Being a hero PLUS 2 affiliations the vast majority of time is either X Men- Mutant or Avengers- Team Cap/IM
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    WTheEyeDoctorsWife said:
    No idea but it seems like it will be a popular character in comic or MCU. Being a hero PLUS 2 affiliations the vast majority of time is either X Men- Mutant or Avengers- Team Cap/IM
    It seems everyone seems to agree this is likely Shang-Chi from powers and the upcoming movie release at a similar time. What would his affiliations be?
  • HoundofShadow
    edited August 2021
    Based on Marvel website, it's likely to be Defenders and Avengers.