What's New MPQ (July 26, 2021)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not much to go on with this clue.  US Agent is a good guess.  I was trying to think Disney + tie ins and he slipped my mind entirely.

also I’ll put Angela out there.  I guess mostly because we just got Odin, but also in comics, the whole 10th Realm was kept a secret for a while, along with her existence. And also in a meta sense, she was originally a Spawn character on Image Comics, before somehow making it in to Marvel.

but that’s a total shot in the dark.  Could really be anyone, and personally I’d rather see Angela as. 5*.  Although if it is her, maybe she would feed Heimdall.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,193 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe Quicksilver.  The whole are they mutants, are they Mags children *shrug*.  Or maybe some character from What If (if it's Uatu, I'm going to be pissed, should be 5*), since we just got a Peggy costume and series is out soon...
  • Cannibalqueen
    Options
    I like Quicksilver.  That would make sense in context of WandaVision too.  Since Evan Peters was a mystery through most of that.

plus.. Wanda feeder!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not much to go on with this clue.  US Agent is a good guess.  I was trying to think Disney + tie ins and he slipped my mind entirely.

also I’ll put Angela out there.  I guess mostly because we just got Odin, but also in comics, the whole 10th Realm was kept a secret for a while, along with her existence. And also in a meta sense, she was originally a Spawn character on Image Comics, before somehow making it in to Marvel.

but that’s a total shot in the dark.  Could really be anyone, and personally I’d rather see Angela as. 5*.  Although if it is her, maybe she would feed Heimdall.
    I think Angela somehow belonged to Neil Gaiman, and ended up at Marvel that way but I’m not totally sure.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,193 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think Angela somehow belonged to Neil Gaiman, and ended up at Marvel that way but I’m not totally sure.
    Yup:
    https://screenrant.com/thor-sister-angela-marvel-spawn/

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    America Chavez? Any other "universe hopper" like that? Or maybe some ancient entity? Not sure who could fit that description, since that kind of character would likely be boss-worthy, and even some like Galactus have a known origin.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Provenance:

1) the place of origin or earliest known history of something.
    Similar: origin, source, place of origin, birthplace, spring, wellspring, fount, roots, history, pedigree, derivation, root, etymology, provenience, radix
    2) the beginning of something's existence; something's origin.
    3) a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.

After googling, I settled on Galactus.

Then I remembered that Loki series just finished airing on 14 July. Wanda was released one month after her last episode. The next release is on 12 August, which is approximate one month Loki's series ended. Looking at all the Loki variants, I think Alligator Loki fits the clue and 4* land is where you can find all your animal marvel characters.

The only strange thing is there wasn't any MPQ release related to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which ended on 23 April. Probably because this series wasn't that popular? I remember seeing quite a number of negative reviews about this.
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Based solely on a search for "of unknown provenance marvel", I'm going to guess The Stranger. Not that I've even heard of the character before, so know nothing about him.
  • Cannibalqueen
    edited July 2021
    Options
    On this line of thought, Sylvie might also be a possibility.  But yeah, as we can see from forums here, Alligator Loki would be a big hit.  

I’m still surprised we never got Zemo from the Falcon Cap series.  He has always been clamored for in a lot of desired character lists even before the series.  And him donning the purple mask was the perfect chance to bring him in.

Anyways, out of all the guesses so far, I am really thinking it might be John Walker.

edit: also, just to throw in the kitchen sink here…
    maybe it’s 4* Vision.  One of the terms that pops up from searching is ‘software of unknown provenance’. Which just makes me think of White Vision.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Based solely on a search for "of unknown provenance marvel", I'm going to guess The Stranger. Not that I've even heard of the character before, so know nothing about him.

Whilst I know the old chestnut about star level does not equal power level, The Stranger is a cosmic level character and would make an odd addition to the 4* tier.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    USAgent - I feel like he was the most likely addition from F&WS and whilst I can see the "Unknown Soldier" angle it sort of doesn't fit because we know exactly how he became USAgent. I guess to the public at large he is an unknown? I wouldn't rule it out.
    Quicksilver - I really think he needs to be a mutant and until such time as we get them, he seems doubtful.
    Sylvie - I hope not as she is kind'a dull.
    White Vision - I felt the previous clue fit him better but then these clues always seem all over the place to me.
    Alligator Loki - this one could work. Unless I missed it I don't recall any explanation as to why this version of Loki is an Alligator and (Spoliers for Loki)
    He isn't pruned from time because he is an Alligator and that somehow interferes with things but because he ate a neighbours cat!

So he really is of "unknown origin" (and suspected to be an in-joke on Frog Thor).

As for Falcon & Winter Soldier not being popular, it has a members rating of 90% and a average audience score of 71% at Rotten Tomatoes which seems mostly positive to me.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is what I found about Alligator Loki, but I'm not sure how true it is. If it's true, it fits the clue logically.

However, there is something that sets Alligator Loki apart from most every other variant of the character we've encountered thus far: There is no comic book equivalent. So the question is, where did the idea of Alligator Loki originate?

Classic Loki insists Alligator Loki is a Loki based seemingly entirely on the fact that the creature is green. It turns out he's more right than we thought.

The concept comes from an early "Loki" pitch meeting between the show's head writer Michael Waldron and producers Steven Broussard and Kevin Wright. "We were talking about [how] we want to meet many different versions of Loki in this show," says Waldron. "I was just like, there should be an Alligator Loki. And it's like, well, why? Because he's green."

• DAZ0273
    Options
    I have seen that reported at more than one source. Also:
    In the show, the other Loki's don't really know if he is a Loki or not. It is left open if Alligator Loki is a Loki or is just pretending to be one which makes it all the more amusing.

• Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    USAgent makes sense to me if "provenance" refers to the disputes over who owns Cap's shield.
  • DAZ0273
    edited July 2021
    Options
    USAgent makes sense to me if "provenance" refers to the disputes over who owns Cap's shield.

It could also apply to where the shield came from. Cap's shield was destroyed in Endgame, the one he gives to Sam is plucked from somewhere in time and we have no idea where from or who was in possession of it.
    Edit: The above may be the worst thing about Endgame because they explain nothing about Steve's time travel hi-jinx.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So what we’re going with is that the new 4 star is, in fact, Captain America’s shield. Ok, great work everyone.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Kwahder said:
    So what we’re going with is that the new 4 star is, in fact, Captain America’s shield. Ok, great work everyone.

Lol! Well it makes more sense than that 5* Doc Ock Stop sign clue that one time...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MackDan1 said:
    I'm confused on Lost in Time rewarding Electro shards in placement. Should be Odin, shouldn't it? Same with Webbed Wonder progression rewards. Should be rewarding Odin shards.
    I wish it was Electro because it means that the only way that I can roster her now is by pulling my hoard until I get a cover since I'm currently 75 shards short of a cover which is garbage.
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Options
    when will we see Thor (Gladiator) as the 5-star Essential? According to my records, he has not had a Heroes for Hire store (as the 5-star essential) since October 13, 2019. Put him back in your rotation!
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    “Of unknown provenance “

Here’s wishing for Longshot.  Add Spiral and Mojo…I’d be in heaven