**** Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) ****

1234568»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    She is really good. Easily the most meta-relevant 4* released since Polaris.
    So after many "what is the point of this character?" 4* releases we are now back to "whoa, this is some crazy 4* power creep!" territory.  I still think 4* tier is dead and continued dev resources or player money spent on that tier are mostly wasted, but mantis is basically must-have.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Reading this and other chats Mantis, C4rnage (or Carbage), Vulture might be the new cat’s meow. Maybe Mantis, Carnage, Medusa for defense. Working on Vulture now. Damn I need iso.

Who am I kidding? It will probably be C4rnage, Mantis, and Polaris.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though my Lizard is criminally undercovered at a sad 1/1/1 I am going to save the majority of my hoarded Heroics and Mighty tokens for Mantis and as soon as she enters tokens I am sharding her like there is no tomorrow. I will give Lizard a little bit of love though as he is not too far from another sharded cover.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Reading this and other chats Mantis, C4rnage (or Carbage), Vulture might be the new cat’s meow. Maybe Mantis, Carnage, Medusa for defense. Working on Vulture now. Damn I need iso.

When I still had 4s to champ, I was getting about 30,000 iso8 a day. Doing pvp to 800ish points and  SCL 7 PVE to progression.

Not sure if that helps you budget and forecast. But it helped me. Worked out as something like enough ISO8 to champ a 4star every 10-14 days I think.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    The cost to champ 4's has always been overcosted compared to other tiers. I guess that will never get adjusted after all this time though.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mantis’ yellow power is sneaky clutch. Not because of the healing but because of the giving away a strike/attack/shield that you can easily match to put more of her face on the field to stun. 

I love using Mantis with DD. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mantis and her Yellow will be huge in those Puzzle Gauntlet nodes where you need the enemy to have a specific tile (strike, attack, protect) because you'll now have a very easy way to give them to the enemy so you can match them.
    KGB
  • Sekilicious
    Srheer0 said:

When I still had 4s to champ, I was getting about 30,000 iso8 a day. Doing pvp to 800ish points and  SCL 7 PVE to progression.

Not sure if that helps you budget and forecast. But it helped me. Worked out as something like enough ISO8 to champ a 4star every 10-14 days I think.
    That is good to hear. I do similar though generally do progression in SCL8 or 9 (for easy events) thanks to the Polaris meta. I can make progression in PvP if I have time, but generally just get to 8-900 pts. Luckily I have the current meta 4* characters champed so can sit on others until they become essential. If Mantis shakes up the current meta I may have to reevaluate. Given her shield training there is a good chance she will do some things. 
  • Sekilicious
    Vhailorx said:
    So after many "what is the point of this character?" 4* releases we are now back to "whoa, this is some crazy 4* power creep!" territory.  I still think 4* tier is dead and continued dev resources or player money spent on that tier are mostly wasted, but mantis is basically must-have.

Dead to you. There are still a ton of players only playing with 4*s. 4* players fairly vocal on MPQ reddit. Maybe doesn't drive sales as much as new 5* characters. But to say "4* tier is dead" is very incorrect.
    There seems to be some effort to build 4* characters that have good synergy with 5*. Polaris/BRB, Lizard/Heimdall, Mantis/Carbage are all examples. Morbius seems to be a counter to all three of these. Monica is a bit of an odd duck considering. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2021
    Vhailorx said:
    Yet 90% of the PvP I get matched with have at least one 4* character. Granted recently that % has dropped off a cliff the past 2 weeks with Colossus/ SWitch being way more prevalent, but up until halfway through this stone season it was rare NOT to see a team with a 4* on it. I use Morbius successfully in half my battles myself 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:

Dead to you. There are still a ton of players only playing with 4*s. 4* players fairly vocal on MPQ reddit. Maybe doesn't drive sales as much as new 5* characters. But to say "4* tier is dead" is very incorrect.
    There seems to be some effort to build 4* characters that have good synergy with 5*. Polaris/BRB, Lizard/Heimdall, Mantis/Carbage are all examples. Morbius seems to be a counter to all three of these. Monica is a bit of an odd duck considering. 
    I'm the reverse of that at the moment since I'm mostly a 4* player. I have a few 5*, but they're there to boost my 4* teams. It's slow since I farm and put more priority on the bottom tiers to build up. I'll get there someday, but for now it's all about the 4s for me.
  • Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    hothie said:
    Did anyone try her with Hawkeye yet?  That team generates an insane amount of blue AP vs special tile opponents.

I did a write-up on the previous page. That team did generate a ton of blue ap.
    Ah sorry, wrong Hawkeye!  The 5* one will generate blue and red every time one of Mantis's CD tiles goes off.  Mantis/Hawkeye/Somebody would be another potential stunlock team for overleveled PvE fights.
    Polaris.  Has a blue that stuns and creates enemy special tiles for mantis to take advantage of.
    I still think Prowler would be a good choice here too, he can make enemy tiles to match away, and can help form that stun lock with a good enough blue power.
  • Sekilicious
    Akoni said:
    Vhailorx said:

I'm the reverse of that at the moment since I'm mostly a 4* player. I have a few 5*, but they're there to boost my 4* teams. It's slow since I farm and put more priority on the bottom tiers to build up. I'll get there someday, but for now it's all about the 4s for me.
    I’m in the same boat as you.  It is nice there are more options to transition from 4* to single 5* champ than Kitty/Grocket or Okoye/anyone. 
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Akoni said:
    Vhailorx said:

Same. I haven't been playing long enough to have a stable of decent 5*s worth playing yet. I'm working on getting enough 4* champs to have some variety of teams (currently shards going to Morbius, 3/2/3), but I'm building from the bottom up, too. Plus I still like to use 3*s at times. I have a fairly high success rate against Polaris/BRB with Polaris/3* Cap Marvel. (Stun their Polaris, then use CM's red to completely flip the board from their shields to yours. If I can fire those 2 abilities back to back before their Polaris stuns me, I haven't lost yet.) 3* Hawkeye sees a lot of play, too, for his black ability in this special tile meta.