New alliance pvp event

Bad
Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
I was thinking that Lighting rounds is a special pvp event quite interesting. It gives always welcomed iso and H tokens and it is an event that you can always play having the time, healthpacks, or even if all the other events are already under control and there is nothing more to play. Also you can be hardcore beating teams and if they retal you, well nothing is lost as this event only last 1 and half hour.
And I was thinking in the weekend a different pvp could have its place, perhaps not weekly regular but it could be a change of pace.
Together with the current and normal pvps, but this special one would have a unique feature: not losing points on losing battles.
That implies that possibly players would go for quick battles knowing that there is no point penalization. For to counter that, there could be some of these additions:

-Skip button disabled
-A loaner 5* on different level scaled according to the player MMR
-Winning points for defense hits repelled, like 1/4 of a win.

Rewards should be on progression exclusively, and setting them for being possibly to achieve them just playing a bit these days.
The event could be featured on friday until sunday.
And to top on that, it could be an alliance event, meaning more rewards for alliance.
Rewards could be CL tokens and some cps, healthpacks too.

And so... what could be the implications of such ambitious project?

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    So how do you determine how many points an opponent is worth? Is every battle worth the same or from a set level depending on difficulty of oponent? I wouldn't want Wins based PvP where you just grind away regardless of anything. In normal PvP there isn't normally much in it between points vs wins when getting to 500 but it opens up big time after that in getting to 900 where scoring big points will get you there much quicker than Wins based. I suppose it would remove collusion to an extent if scores are standardised. Perhaps the way to do it would be as follows:
    A bit like Boss Events, you would have a set number of battles per session. Removing MMR, you could choose to fight any team you like but each team would be worth different points (from a set range) depending on the make-up of it, with 5* teams obviously being the highest points. The event would still need Essentials, maybe one choice from 5,4.3 tier like a few of the off seasons do (with Loaners available) and that is what locks you in to the points tally available. I suspect players would still find ways to manipulate this.
    "CL tokens" - I assume this is reference to the at present mythological Classic Legend token.
    Also - disabling the Skip button would be disastrous for some rosters - it would literally lock them out of playing this event if their queues get jammed with unbeatable teams and adversely affect their helping their Alliance. We already have this scenario sometimes in Boss Events.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    No point lost on losing battles and defense points win? Let's lose to each other deliberately to jack up points.

Anyone remembers tapping? Players can play the same node again and again for hours continously to get top placement. Likewise, I bet there will be players doing the above over and over again.
  • Bad
    As mythological as devs should design a token for classic legend, indeed.

The way for to manipulate it could be quitting, as no points will be lost. A way for to counter that could be not showing the name of players.

If the skip button is disabled the player should be forced to play and retreat, losing a bit of health. Or perhaps the board is good and he wins. Points per win could be 100+position of that player on the scores.
    DAZ0273 said:

A bit like Boss Events, you would have a set number of battles per session. Removing MMR, you could choose to fight any team you like but each team would be worth different points (from a set range) depending on the make-up of it, with 5* teams obviously being the highest points. The event would still need Essentials, maybe one choice from 5,4.3 tier like a few of the off seasons do (with Loaners available) and that is what locks you in to the points tally available. I suspect players would still find ways to manipulate this.

That it is a different concept than mine. It could be good too.
  • HoundofShadow
    One way to counter nameless opponents is to equip support and announced what has been equipped on the team used.

I think players will feel pressured to play on weekends and even though it's not compulsory to play, they will feel the pressure since the prize is pretty high. For LR, it's the best placement reward is merely 4 HTs, so players aren't pressured to play.
  • DAZ0273
    No point lost on losing battles and defense points win? Let's lose to each other deliberately to jack up points.

Anyone remembers tapping? Players can play the same node again and again for hours continously to get top placement. Likewise, I bet there will be players doing the above over and over again.

From my understanding it doesn't sound like there would be placement? I could be wrong though.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Bad
     were you playing when Sakaar Arena was running? I think it only ran maybe twice back with Gladiator Thor was released, but it was a weekend long series of special Lightning Rounds, and at the end of the run your total points across all of them would count for your event placement. The first run had 20 person brackets, so rewards were flowing down like crazy and it was really fun to drop in, hit some seed teams, and get a few heroics just for showing up, but then the second run it was just standard brackets and it felt more like work. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/68484/new-versus-event-sakaar-arena-10-26-17
  • DAZ0273
    Ha ha, the first run which was completely broken is the only time I have ever actually enjoyed Lightning Rounds! 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I wish it had been more thematic and been 1 v 1 matches lol
  • DAZ0273

Yeah, definitely. It was a missed oppourtunity in some ways.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can't lose points, it's just PvE.  There's no reason you'd need to fight actual player teams, the game could just give you PvE fights.  In fact, what you're describing seems to be just a mini PvE event with no placement rewards.  We have these sometimes, like the AIM thing.
  • HoundofShadow
    Oops. There isn't any replacement rewards.  :|

Realistically speaking, the rewards are too good. Remember the Gwenpool PvE and another similar pve? It's been missing for months, and it's held only once per month back then. It's 5 days of nodes which lets you pick 1 of 2 4* cover in the final node.

If such pvp exists in the future, expect it to happen during really special occasions.

CL Token = 20 cp = ~2000hp

Reduce your rewards to Mighty Tokens or 100 items vault token instead of CL token and it has higher chances of happening.

If you want CL to be included in progression rewards, it will probably be available to SR 150 or 160 players. The rest will get Mighty or Heroic Tokens.
  • Bad
    edited June 2021
    The first run had 20 person brackets, so rewards were flowing down like crazy and it was really fun to drop in, hit some seed teams, and get a few heroics just for showing up, but then the second run it was just standard brackets and it felt more like work. 

I started playing a bit later. It sounds a bit intensive.

In this pvp I think some positive factors would meet:
    -not playing at the end of the event, if gaining points per defense could counter that and skip button not working, plus no one knows if alliance will gain all rewards.
    -not using shields as no points will be lost. That means all players will be available to hit all the event. 
    -if the name of the player, alliance and possible rewards points are hidden the reward will be more like a surprise.

And then devs should think on the proportionate rewards, and see if it is not too hard to programme all that.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're just describing PvE.  We already have a game mode where you don't lose points and you get progression rewards based on how many fights you do.  Harder fights already give more points.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I'd play a 1v1 or even a 2v2 PvP event. That sounds fun.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I like the Best Friends Forever 2v2 off-season event (I think it's that one?). I think 1v1 could be neat if it was some sort of infinite wave node, just go as long as you can without being defeated. I don't know if a 1v1 event would be a health sink to the same degree standard PVP from a business standpoint, but I think it could be fun on the player side occasionally.
  • Bad
    edited June 2021
    Actually a 2vs 2 pvp doesnt differs too much from all pvps at 5* tier.
    While we are at the imaginarium, the truth is that there is nothing that would make impossible to happen a 4 vs 4 or a 5vs 5: 3 characters featured and when one is downed, the next one on the bench enters, just like any pve wave node.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    I like the Best Friends Forever 2v2 off-season event (I think it's that one?). I think 1v1 could be neat if it was some sort of infinite wave node, just go as long as you can without being defeated. I don't know if a 1v1 event would be a health sink to the same degree standard PVP from a business standpoint, but I think it could be fun on the player side occasionally.

If it is an infinite wave node is it still a 1v1 fight? I guess if the opponent keeps reviving after you kill them then it is still a 1v1 otherwise it would be a 1v∞ fight.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Bad said:
    Actually a 2vs 2 pvp doesnt differs too much from all pvps at 5* tier.
    While we are at the imaginarium, the truth is that there is nothing that would make impossible to happen a 4 vs 4 or a 5vs 5: 3 characters featured and when one is downed, the next one on the bench enters, just like any pve wave node.
    a player defined wave node might be interesting, but fights would be very long. It would be super dope to have an alliance event wave node where you pulled characters from your alliance to create the wave maybe.

When I say 1vWave, I guess I mean single character slots rather than a 3 character team.
  • Bad
    On that mythological pvp wave, TU powers could be changed for a switch, like touching hands in a WWF battle lol.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    MPQ Battle Royale Mode lol