Week 6? 5* boost (Doc ock, DD, Gambit, Peter Parker)

Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
I thought it would be useful for everyone including the devs to talk about how each weeks boost chars play differently.

disclosure:  I could reliably champ every 5* after Blackwidow during their “ll” window.  So I had viable champions relatively quickly.

with god boost I have them between 600 and 585

Original meta at this time was panthos, but Daredevil and peter Parker could reliably beat a panthos combo within 15 levels.  The trick to DD is having him supersized so even at 1/2 health he could survive a nuke.  The logic behind the pairing was the independent rainbow coverage.  In modern mpq that’s irrelevant in the passive era.  So will be interesting to see how the combos hold up.  You will want DD tanking damage for the strike tiles,  but that so easily countered in the 4* game.  So will be interesting to see if vulnerable to 4* combos.  Should be interesting to try out doc ock at god tier boost.  He’s relatively solid and useful to climb early.  It’s not the same doc ock as before, but his insta win was rare and infrequent.  Obviously this version of gambit is trash tier compared to God gambit.  But the modern game has lots of special tile spammers.  Too bad we cant experience a true gambit comparison between eras.  

ill try to update after week is over to record my new thoughts on how they play buffed.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great idea for a topic!

Daredevil will be the most used, I think.  He's a true healer, and all his abilities work pretty well with each other.  At a high enough level, he's almost usable in the current meta, even when not boosted.

Ock is actually pretty underrated now, just because he was so awful before.  He's gotten significantly better since he was buffed, though.  His blue hits really hard, even without any of his tiles out.  His black is ok.  His green is still pretty worthless.

Gambit probably needs a partner to really be useful -- either someone to fortify his countdown tiles or speed them up, or someone to make charged tiles for him.

Peter Parker can do ok on his own, but I feel like he really wants another web tile guy to be most effective.

I'll probably run Daredevil/Ock and just ignore Ock's green in favor of Daredevil's.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve only got Gambit champed out of this batch, and a 10 cover DD leveled to 405. DD is really slow if you try using him with Kitty; I haven’t tried him with Lizard yet for the purple generation, or Polaris, but they seem potentially useful. 

Gambit I’ve tried with Coulson, boosted Negasonic, Flaptain, 5Witch, and 5torm, Carbage, as well as Thor and Okoye. He hits pretty hard boosted, but in my memory his purple overwrote CDs and it definitely doesn’t now. My big takeaway is that he is pretty slow and even boosted he tanks too much and goes down quick.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, Daredevil is pretty good, unfortunately Ock is kind of worthless.  His blue power is still really good but both other powers are trash.  I ended up using Daredevil/Spidey...Spidey has two worthwhile powers (red and green) so it was marginally faster.

I didn't try Gambit -- maybe his AP generation will make him somewhat usable, although he'll lock out Daredevil's stun.  All these guys are pretty slow though, because they have to actually match tiles and cast powers to win.

I miss Thanos.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I can’t take credit for it but saw some vids of someone running Ororo w Gambit. Absolutely decimated the enemy teams (multiple vids). Excited to try it if I can get enough ISO to champ my Gambit. Horrible on defense I suppose.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    5tormbit is a slight variation on the classic meta team of Gambolt, it works ok.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of Gambit, Parker & DD out there but not much Ock so far for me. I was able to make it to 900 in Northstar's PvP without too many issues though so the big daddy 5's are not completely dominating so far but they are occassionally clogging up queues. Gambit is my best covered of this lot but I don't envision making much a dent with him even with him boosted to champed levels - he locks out other useful characters like Apoc or even boosted Mockingbird.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think last week was interesting for having a boosted old time meta pairing (panthos) rather than most boost weeks which are likely just going to have one standout component of a meta. Negasonic being boosted alongside Gambit is almost interesting (at 5/3/5, you won't be using red), but she is better as part of a pick-3 team with him to keep the board moving around. Just in case anyone missed it, and is looking for novel ways to play Gambit - if you throw him airborne with say Heimdall or Danver5, it unlocks the purple/red restriction while he's up there. This is as far as I've discovered most useful with Heimdall, since his red can nuke pretty hard assuming you've got the right spread of fortifications in play. For that to be good you'd probably want a pick-3 team with a passive fortifier like Hawkeye or Goblin along for the ride, but that's probably just a fun PVE team considering it likely isn't too fast.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    This week will mark my first God Boost. Given that it is Thor it will make some interesting issues. My AA and Daken are no great shakes, GR will boost to champ levels. In some ways having JJ in this week (assuming she has been booted for Daken) would have helped with Thor not tanking on red.