Anyone not opening hoard on the LL 5 trio ?

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also to save a big hoard is super boring. Day after day, nothing new. It is a lot funnier to take the gamble and try to pull some leggy.
    On the other hand, in this game you can theorize about a character, but you never will understand totally what he means until champing him.
    I was expecting wanda to be so good and fit in my play so well. But I didnt expect colossus to do it too at the level he is doing right now.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    He'll be boosted next week.  He's probably right on the edge of being usable normally, but he'll be very good with the boost.
    Wait, how do you know he'll get boosted next week? Where do they announce these things?
    They're listed in the thread titled "What's New MPQ."
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    He'll be boosted next week.  He's probably right on the edge of being usable normally, but he'll be very good with the boost.
    Wait, how do you know he'll get boosted next week? Where do they announce these things?
    So far they have been boosted in batches of 4, in reverse order from release (oldest to newest) with the exception of Iceman who was presumably shifted back to last week. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do we need to start ranking 5* by where they fit in their set of 4 boosted characters?  In 4* land, is it permanently the same set of boosted guys together or do they change it up?
    Nah. If it’s like the 4*s, as new characters rotate in, the boosts lists will be slightly altered next time they roll around. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Also to save a big hoard is super boring. Day after day, nothing new.
    That's me. Been hoarding for many years (getting close to 30k cp, not bad for free to play) and used to also hoard latest tokens (can't remember how I got) but I tend to open them now when it's around 60-90 pulls. Basically get the latest legendary over 2/2/2 before they rotate into classic and hope for a feeder. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    So I ended up pulling after all. I started with a hair over 300 pulls, 1300ish in CPs and 235 or so LL tokens. I already had some shards for Knull and Colossus from events so that helped a bit.

I actually pulled in several sittings, yesterday not having good luck at all I stopped after 70 pulls or so. This morning I used the rest of my LL tokens and had insane luck for a change. I was able to champ all 3 5s, actually got the last Knull cover on my very last LL token. I was thrilled to not have to touch a single CP and champ all 3 5s with just the 235 LL tokens, plus some I got back from 4 champ rewards. 

Knull is pretty cool when boosted, using him with Kitty his amortal coil is nice damage in tandem with her circuit breaker, especially when they often go off each round. Nice he adds the strike tiles. His purple is super annoying that the darn repeat tiles are at 5 turns, with no reduction based on how many covers you have and needing to wait 5 full turns to get the attack tiles. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    So after a pretty lengthy bout of inactivity in the game, I decided to open most of my remaing hoard for this threesome.  Switch seems sufficiently meta-adjacent and unique to be worth having, and I think 2x match damage is actually quite useful for a variety of purposes. So Colossus seems valuable to me as well.  knull seems marginally better than cyc. it may hurt a little if the next 5* is apocalypse-tier or better, but that's basically always a risk when opening a hoard.
    So I pulled to baby champ all 3. I was starting from 0/0/0 on all 3.
    If it matters, here are my results:
    224 pulls
    Knull: 4/5/6
    Switch: 5/3/5
    Colossus: 1/5/9
    Things looked bad for a while, as knull purple was the first 4x 5* covers I pulled, and knull was fully built before either of the others hit 9 covers.  But thankfully I then had a long run of only Colossus and switch, and finished with 3 straight 5* pulls including a Colossus yellow.  Thankfully, Colossus was my sharget, and I do have the 1k shards I need to champ him. I will end up with 3x baby champs in the 450-455 range.
    Overall a pull rate of ~18% and a nearly-ideal distribution between characters and within each character.  Hard to complain too much about that.  
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    When I first started playing I just pulled LL/CP when I got them, and got a smattering of 5* with 1 cover that don't do me any good lol.  Eventually learned to hoard.  Busted that open for apoc/onslaught(who I really wnated)/killmonger and got a really nice pile of those.

Been hoarding LL since then, and mostly hoarding CP though I do spend some when there's a good banner.  I'm hoping the next 5* is good because I really like Wanda, and think Knull will be interesting.  If it turns out to be another meh 5* I don't know what to do lol.  It'd be many months before the next 3 come out and that'd be annoying.

They really need to make the classic one cost 5CP or be add 5* to mighty packs or something.  
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2021

Been hoarding LL since then, and mostly hoarding CP though I do spend some when there's a good banner.  I'm hoping the next 5* is good because I really like Wanda, and think Knull will be interesting.  If it turns out to be another meh 5* I don't know what to do lol.  It'd be many months before the next 3 come out and that'd be annoying.

They really need to make the classic one cost 5CP or be add 5* to mighty packs or something.  

Am I missing something? We know the next 5*.  It's Ronan.  He seems pretty meh to me, though his repeater tile power is pretty fun. Less attractive than colossus's straight match damage boost. He should be replacing colossus in LTs after next week.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:

Am I missing something? We know the next 5*.  It's Ronan.  He seems pretty meh to me, though his repeater tile power is pretty fun. Less attractive than colossus's straight match damage boost. He should be replacing colossus in LTs after next week.
    I agree I'd rather have Colossus than Ronan. The increased match damage is nice as is reduced match damage taken. His black is cheap and powerful. He definitely helped with the challenge node clears quite a bit. 
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I wanted switch and colossus, and I already had 8 covers of cyclops from his cyclops/kitty/Jean store when I was trying to finish off kitty (totally worth it) so I pulled.  I figured I’d finish off cyclops fast, then hold off for colossus/switch/knull and hope to not pull too many covers of knull.  But I almost exclusively pulled colossus covers, which ruined my plans.  I exclusively deal in baby champ 5*s, so I’m inclined to wait for Colossus to leave so I can pull for switch/knull/ronen.  But I also think I’d probably be better off letting colossus get some more covers and skip ronen altogether. I have a feeling that ronen will largely just collect dust in my roster, but there is something more fun about having an extra character to play around with over a few extra levels on a character (which is why I usually stick to baby champs in general). I can’t really decide, anyone have any advice?
  • Bad
    If I ever have a ronan cover it would be because of wanda and knull. I think ronan is actually  a character for playing in 4* tier.
    Plus he is kind of buggy, if they didnt fix him already. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I’ve got 385 LTs and 7720 CP and I’m not breaking my hoard. Maybe it’s a mistake but here’s why:

1) My Colossus is champed and my Switch only needs 1 more cover which she’ll get from shard rewards next time she’s featured. My Knull is only 1/3/3 but as Ronan (0/1/2) and the next rotate in, my focus will be on finishing them all.

2) I feel like the game is shifting to rewarding folks for having a wider variety of champs, so I’d rather limit the number of 5* toons that I spend CP on to level high and save my LTs for champing them all as they come.

3) These 3 are undoubtably one of, if not the best, trios to come along in a while. However, when I think about adding extra levels to these vs Okoye or Apoc or even BRB or Kitty, I’m not sold these would be better. They would be different, but that’s not my personal criteria. So I’m saving for the anniversary store and hoping (aka gambling) that it pays off.

In the end, I’d rather have a 476 Apoc and 450 Colossus than a 466 Apoc and 460 Colossus. But maybe I’m crazy and I’ll pay for it later.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    helix72 said:
    I’ve got 385 LTs and 7720 CP and I’m not breaking my hoard. 
    Your reasoning makes since, but I just want you to know that if you ever need someone to take some of that CP off your hands, I'm here for you. Just saying.  :D
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2021
    Akoni said:
    helix72 said:
    I’ve got 385 LTs and 7720 CP and I’m not breaking my hoard. 
    Your reasoning makes since, but I just want you to know that if you ever need someone to take some of that CP off your hands, I'm here for you. Just saying.  :D

Does it make sense specifically for Colossus?  With his buffed match damage, won't he be tanking ahead of champs that have dozens of levels on him?  I certainly agree with regards to switch, and even knull, both of whom get value from their support/passive skills.  But Colossus is for match damage and that scales directly with champ levels, so he seems like someone to level up high is possible (though in the aggregate I think helix's plan makes sense for his/her circumstances).
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    @Vhailorx Colossus is certainly a tank, and it would be ideal for him to be as high as possible for most teams. Since @helix72 is trying to champ across the board, it won't be necessary to max out Colossus. It sounds like the only 5* helix wants to max out are the go-to metas that are rostered. Since Colossus likely won't be used on those teams anyway, it won't matter. He will still tank for all of the other 5* on the roster. Using CP to add 10 levels to Colossus would just be unnecessary for now.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Anyone with a 450 Colossus? I wonder how he compares. Edit: scratch that, just checked his character thread for those stats. Not much difference at 11 extra levels.

461 - 89206 HP, 1029/915/800 match damage, at 5 covers purification would do 12577 base plus 8384, neutralization damage would be 4158 at 5 covers.

So…how big is the difference on 10(ish) levels?

I feel like Switch levels are worth it just to make her less squishy.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    jp1 said:
    461 - 89206 HP, 1029/915/800 match damage, at 5 covers purification would do 12577 base plus 8384, neutralization damage would be 4158 at 5 covers.

So…how big is the difference on 10(ish) levels?
    I saw you got your answer but just putting it in one post:
    450 - 81955 HP, 945/840/735 match damage, at 5 covers purification would do 11555 base plus 7703, neutralization damage would be 3819 at 5 covers.
  • Bad
    A colossus level 450 tanks a AW 20 levels higher, thanks to his superior increased match damage yellow passive. 
    However if AW is more than 20 levels AW would tank yellow, but he would have difficult to tank black from a baby champed colossus. 
    Right now, until a proper 5* would be released, the best third wheel for the match damage duo is HME, really funny to play, or onslaught. 
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Oops I totally forgot ronan was a thing lol.  Don't see him pop up in pvp, which is weird because I found him VERY annoying in pvp, kept popping my polaris there was nowhere to hide lol.

I guess I'll be pulling once he gets into the store.  Wanda is the one I really want, knull seems pretty cool, and Ronan is interesting.  If only his cool power wasn't blue!