boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sabertooth is one of those characters that without that specific Polaris/Grocket synergy (and perhaps his own synergy with Polaris) he would be no where near meta. Much like Th4nos without BRB/Polaris. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sabertooth is one of those characters that without that specific Polaris/Grocket synergy (and perhaps his own synergy with Polaris) he would be no where near meta. Much like Th4nos without BRB/Polaris. 

He was popular with Okoye pre-Polaris for a bit for cheap boosted spammable red damage but he is a bit too squishy with no healing factor I think.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor/Okoye/Sabretooth was a favourite to clear pve. When I play wave nodes in SCL 10, I like to bring Thor/Okoye/Scorpion. Once things start rolling, the one thing you will be clicking is his purple power.
  • Sekilicious
    Man I would love champed Thor/Okoye for PvE and probably PvP. Maybe a year or two out of date for the current meta, but would help immensely with the grind. There are so many thirds that those two can help shine. 
  • DAZ0273
    I like Thorpocalpyse myself. The only tricky thing is getting Thor to half heath and not accidentally getting wiped by a bad cascade before you can retreat or win the match you are setting him up with.
  • Sekilicious
    I would be happy with Thorocalypse as well. Much faster than my current plan of BRB/Polaris that is probably a year away at best. 
  • DAZ0273
    I would be happy with Thorocalypse as well. Much faster than my current plan of BRB/Polaris that is probably a year away at best. 

How is your Kitty Pryde? She makes a fantastic partner for BRB, even at just a few yellow covers she will buff his protects through the roof even neutralising Hulkoye teams.

• Sekilicious
    My Kitty, BRB, and Okoye are all at 4 covers. I recently got C4rnage to lvl280 but he is the only character there. Throg, Emma, and Shuri all remain unchamped as of yet.  Luckily I am currently committed to and happy with 4* life, though would prefer playing at SCL 10 when it becomes available. 
  • DAZ0273
    Well my attempts to crush all with boosted to champed 5* Thanos + Apocalypse had mixed results but it was kind'a fun and not as health pack thirsty as I feared. Even so, I am not convinced that it was more effective than just using one of my other champed 5's. It was also dismaying to see that more people had Nega champed than I would have hoped meaning less easy Court Death triggers. I have one last event before the new boost list kicks in to extend Thanos reign of terror (tm)...
    So that brings us to Wiccan up next. Have we ever had a Wiccan PvP outside of his release event? I kind'a feel I have never had cause to use him champed. His Mystical Barrier will help protect him and it seems to me that he will love taking on Polaris or special tile teams with his (a bit expensive) Green. Of course against a wall of Panthos, that isn't going to matter one jot, lol!
    Next week feels grim: Doc Ock (I don't have the tentacles power the other two are 4 & 2), DD is 0/3/2 I think so I don't have any healing, PPSM is 3/2/1 leaving Gambit at 5/3/1. Sadly I don't think I am going to get any use out of that lot. Maybe if Gambit had been boosted for Negasonic's PvP it could have had some legs but sadly not.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Well my attempts to crush all with boosted to champed 5* Thanos + Apocalypse had mixed results but it was kind'a fun and not as health pack thirsty as I feared. Even so, I am not convinced that it was more effective than just using one of my other champed 5's. It was also dismaying to see that more people had Nega champed than I would have hoped meaning less easy Court Death triggers. I have one last event before the new boost list kicks in to extend Thanos reign of terror (tm)...
    So that brings us to Wiccan up next. Have we ever had a Wiccan PvP outside of his release event? I kind'a feel I have never had cause to use him champed. His Mystical Barrier will help protect him and it seems to me that he will love taking on Polaris or special tile teams with his (a bit expensive) Green. Of course against a wall of Panthos, that isn't going to matter one jot, lol!
    Next week feels grim: Doc Ock (I don't have the tentacles power the other two are 4 & 2), DD is 0/3/2 I think so I don't have any healing, PPSM is 3/2/1 leaving Gambit at 5/3/1. Sadly I don't think I am going to get any use out of that lot. Maybe if Gambit had been boosted for Negasonic's PvP it could have had some legs but sadly not.

Yes we have had Wiccan pvps before. I remember atleast 2 times.

At the end of the day he's too slow. Even with boosted yellow tiles on the board reducing the damage he takes.

I am looking forward to trying him with Ic5man. and another. Just to be annoying :D
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    I'm really enjoying having more 5*s boosted for PVE.  It's giving me more opportunities to use the characters who I don't have as many covers of, and I'm relying less on the "old faithfuls."  Thanks to the team for this change!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m absolutely loving it still. 

Pre-boosts:  My queues were filled with Hulkoyes. I’d hit them if worth high points or the only thing in my queues. Otherwise I’d skip them to hit easier opponents and save on packs. And I’d always skip the super high leveled ones. 
    Post-boosts: I’m now hitting everything. I actually prefer hitting high level Okoye’s instead of boosted panthos (mainly because of Pather’s damage negation). 
    Now I know I’m an N of one, but wonder if the “all my eggs in one basket” crowd are getting hit more now from people who would normally skip them. 
    Conversely I wonder if the “baby champ everyone” crowd are getting hit less running their mega boosted classics. Overall I just feel there is more parity. 

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Separate point, but I see why they’re doing this from a money making perspective. 
    In a game like this, power creep is pretty much mandatory to make money. Since the game is built on speed (defense as well in PVP), the fastest two will be utilized almost exclusively by competitive players. So you need to release better options/characters in order to get people to spend. 
    What wasn’t accounted for in this strategy was that having the best two at high levels makes the rest of your roster obsolete. There’s little incentive to spend big when you can ride your meta pair and hoard until the next meta pair.

By doing these changes, a few things happen.

1) we are still incentivized to make the best characters bigger (as they will always be useful- not just on boost weeks).

2) We are also incentivized to chase characters beyond the top 2-5 (as they will likely be a better option on their boost weeks when pumped up 100 levels). 
    3) You have to rethink a character’s utility on the whole because they may be much better boosted than not, and you have to take that into consideration when considering who to boost and who to skip. 
  • DAZ0273
    I’m absolutely loving it still. 

Pre-boosts:  My queues were filled with Hulkoyes. I’d hit them if worth high points or the only thing in my queues. Otherwise I’d skip them to hit easier opponents and save on packs. And I’d always skip the super high leveled ones. 
    Post-boosts: I’m now hitting everything. I actually prefer hitting high level Okoye’s instead of boosted panthos (mainly because of Pather’s damage negation). 
    Now I know I’m an N of one, but wonder if the “all my eggs in one basket” crowd are getting hit more now from people who would normally skip them. 
    Conversely I wonder if the “baby champ everyone” crowd are getting hit less running their mega boosted classics. Overall I just feel there is more parity. 

Well I haven't made it to my mega-boost week yet and don't even have a champed Okoye but can confirm that Daredevil217 is indeed "hitting everything"!
  • Sekilicious
    Separate point, but I see why they’re doing this from a money making perspective. 
    In a game like this, power creep is pretty much mandatory to make money. Since the game is built on speed (defense as well in PVP), the fastest two will be utilized almost exclusively by competitive players. So you need to release better options/characters in order to get people to spend. 
    What wasn’t accounted for in this strategy was that having the best two at high levels makes the rest of your roster obsolete. There’s little incentive to spend big when you can ride your meta pair and hoard until the next meta pair.

By doing these changes, a few things happen.

1) we are still incentivized to make the best characters bigger (as they will always be useful- not just on boost weeks).

2) We are also incentivized to chase characters beyond the top 2-5 (as they will likely be a better option on their boost weeks when pumped up 100 levels). 
    3) You have to rethink a character’s utility on the whole because they may be much better boosted than not, and you have to take that into consideration when considering who to boost and who to skip. 
    I think the strategy to shift from 4* to 5* will stay the same, optimally hoard for 2 meta in a store to ensure you can reach progression in PvE SCL10. The long term strategy, once fully in 5* land probably shifts from hoard for meta 550 to build a broad and deep 5* roster to compete in PvP.
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    DAZ0273 said:
    I like Thorpocalpyse myself. The only tricky thing is getting Thor to half heath and not accidentally getting wiped by a bad cascade before you can retreat or win the match you are setting him up with.
    Just go into a pve node and retreat with him and two characters you aren’t going to use six times and bam, there’s your half-Thor. No need to try and calculate how much damage you need mid-match and dreading a cascade. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    The boost is probably to high.  What’s been interesting is to see how differently these combos play compared to their initial debut meta.  Phx/OML best trait was endurance damage against the 4* base.  Panthos was largely negated by true healers and later gen nukes.  So is true that the god boost allows them to dominate the week, but those classic combos are still vulnerable to a lot more chars and different mechanics than before.  It’s not a bad thing but it’s very different than what i expected.  

• LucasRaven
    LucasRaven Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I feel that, on one hand, it's a good move for people with older characters that had fallen by the wayside. On the other hand, for me in 4 star land, it makes for a bunch more teams to skip. But yeah, if I had one of the older 5s that nobody uses anymore, I'd be stoked with the boosted 5s in PVP
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I keep saying this -- I really wish they'd chosen something other than reverse release order, because this is going to affect the game in a much bigger way than it seems.  Right now it's only benefiting weird or old players who have the really old terrible guys but very soon it'll benefit a lot more players.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah i think we're going to see a whole different landscape in a couple weeks as well.