Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I feel like this experiment has kind of also run its course, and it does seem possible to stay current on Latest Legends by spending exclusively into that store as you go. I'm confident I missed out on Sighclops because I chose to throw a bunch of CP into Classic and some into the special legendaries. After interacting a bit with @entrailbucket in some other threads, I'm starting to get really curious about just spending like a wastrel into Latest with LTs and using my CP in classics, and starting a Grand Experiment 3 thread to see what happens to the shape of my roster that way. That feels like a difficult situation to recover from if I change my mind at some point though, so I don't know when/if I'll actually do it. But hypothetically speaking, I think I'm in pretty decent shape to do it roster-wise now that I have 35 5* champions with only Sighclops unfed, and all 4*s minus the 2 most recent champed.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am excited to see the results of phase 3 of your experiment. If they add feeders for all 5* (big if, I understand) it should be a good strategy given that boosted 5* are the current meta. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2021
    As of this moment, Sighclops, Ronan, Colossus, and Knull are the only unfed 5s I don’t have champed, but committing to this strategy would tip that scale quickly I think in the other direction.

if I did it, I would focus fire my 4* shard on one feeder at a time like I’m doing now to get my classics done a tad more quickly rather than spreading it out across all the feeders.
  • Sekilicious
    Yeah I like the focused approach though this strategy seems to require even more commitment to the marathon approach so can understand just favoriting them all. You have all 4* champed (except maybe the latest but really a matter of time) so if this is possible you should be fine spending cp as you go. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think if you have 35 champion 5* with mostly fed 5* remaining, and your initial goal was to champion everyone, you're close enough to start making some decisions about what your *next* goal will be, and what the best way for you to get there is.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    For sure; playing SCL10 the way I do, I usually have the 4* champable the season after they get released. morbius is just waiting on iso, and Lizard is 4/4/4 and should be champable after this current story wraps up; everyone else is champed save my dupe Chavez.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think if you have 35 champion 5* with mostly fed 5* remaining, and your initial goal was to champion everyone, you're close enough to start making some decisions about what your *next* goal will be, and what the best way for you to get there is.
    definitely. At this point, I don't know that I'm 100% sold that the boosted oldies are definitely better than the new characters at baseline, so my big concern remains falling behind on Latest and having to direct-shard grind them up 6-7 covers. I may keep doing what I'm doing for now until I get through champing the ones I have at 10+ covers and evaluate how to handle them from there. Or I may get impulsive and go back to Classic if I get bored. I'm decidedly not post-iso yet either, so even if I do get them all blocked up to 13 covers, they won't instantly turn into reward factories for a long time. It's a lot to consider.
  • entrailbucket
    It's a lot of iso.  Also the iso investment it took to set up the 4* dupe farm was utterly insane.  Shield ranks weren't a thing back when I was doing it, so you've got a slight advantage depending how many of those you've got left.  I think I ended up grinding LR for months to get it done.

For the boosted old characters it absolutely depends on level.  So far anybody above 500 pre-boost (even the worst of the worst) has basically turned the game into a joke.  This week court death is doing 65,000 aoe (Thanos is lvl529).   One black or purple match was enough to down the loaner Negasonic, so I had a bunch of one move PvP fights.

The problem, of course, is that those extra levels are locked behind classics, and the only way you can ever get to 500+ is to plow resources into classics.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I just got Colossus covered out of latest, leaving just Knull. Maybe I’ll attempt a hybrid pull strategy and use CP in classics until there are 3 latest I don’t have, then move over to Latest till they’re done again.
  • Sekilicious
    You should have a sense if the strategy will work with the current number of classic legend 5* and 4* based on the number of LL tokens you have by the time that Wanda rotates out.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    First off, this thread has been SUPER helpful to me, so thank you. I've been able to fully cover all the latest 5s since Mags. Still working on Wanda and Knull.

I'm not sure I understand this new strategy though. Won't you likely have your LL rotate out with 7-8 covers? Is the plan to then finish them off with future feeders and direct shards and develop a 4* farm? I guess CPs give you more of each plus champ levels for your (mostly champed) classics..
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2021
    Yeah the idea is that for every 100cp you spend into classic, you are getting a 5th cover, so it's a volume play. I still don't yet know if my roster is properly shaped to do it yet; after sleeping on it some, I'm thinking that I need a lot more classics champed to reap the rewards at a rate to "keep up" with what's going on in Latest. The big danger is that as you say, characters will fall into classic with 6-8 covers left to earn on them, and since they'll be new, it'll either be dilution lucky strikes on them, direct sharding, or hoping for the best on new release feeders eventually existing. But it does seem to be the steadiest way to build your whole 5* roster short of only spending into special legendary release stores. It's just an ultra long play, so for sure my 5* champ rate would dip way down to non-existant probably for a long time, then ultimately it would come back up and then keep climbing, but that could be actual human years from now, which feels daunting to commit to. But the champion rewards on 5*s are spitting out LTs and CP at a pretty good clip, so I'm thinking that switching to that once I have maybe more like 3/4 of them champed might be more realistic. But it's not just 5* rewards at that point, it's also 4* rewards - they get pretty good up above 330 much like 3*s get better towards the top, so the more 4*s you're raking in the more rewards you're getting.
  • entrailbucket
    You just have to figure out the rate at which your 4*/5* champs spit out tokens. 

For me, it's enough to champion all the 5* before they leave latest, without spending CP into latest.  They usually end up around lvl453.  If someone is unchamped and leaving imminently I will switch over until I get them championed, but that's pretty rare.

I don't know if you can figure out your LT velocity without actually switching over, but maybe there's a way to approximate it somehow?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think it's pretty hard to know - the bulk of my 4*s are above 300, some significantly so, but I really don't know how to truly guess without doing it. To that end, i'm going to see what happens if I burn my CP in classic until 5Witch drops out and sit on my LTs in order to see what comes out the other side. I track my Latest and Classic pulls, so we'll see how many of each that results in across that time starting today (I pulled a 309th Magik from Classic). I'm going to leave all my favorites in place rather than switch it to Knull (2/2/0 w/380 shards), but for posterity they are currently:
    Medusa: lvl 336 w/380 shards
    Sighclops: 1/5/5 w/162 shards
    Kamala: 264 w/106 shards (she isn't coming from legendary obviously, but just to see what my 3* shard rate might look like by the end of this since i don't usually track it)
  • Sekilicious
    edited June 2021
    Apparently you need about 3.5 pulls per day to champ the LL before they are banished to classics. Should be easy to track if you’re inclined, to make a more educated estimate when Wanda is about to leave. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    That was in the 4/4/5 days, is that holding true for 4/5/4/5 release schedule?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    That was in the 4/4/5 days, is that holding true for 4/5/4/5 release schedule?
    Let's use the 4/5/4/5 schedule, which means a 5* will spend 12 weeks in Latest.

Factoring into account sharts from CL10, which is 2 covers. So you will need 11 covers during those 12 weeks.

Assuming no dupes, 11 covers for a specific 5* in Latests would require an average of 220 pulls.

12 weeks = 84 days. 220/84 = 2.61 pulls per day.

Factoring out sharts from CL10, that means 13 covers or 260 pulls during those 84 days. 260/84 = 3.21 pulls per day.

Once again, this assumes no dupes, and the expected ratio of 1 cover every 20 pulls. It also doesn't take into account the chance of pulling covers during their HP store. Pulling from their CP store won't skew this too much, since that also requires CP.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    That’s daunting math; I’m sitting on 3x LTs right now, lets see how many show up over the next bit here.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I guess I’ll update this once I pull a 5* from Classic. Currently at 5 LTs in the bank.
  • entrailbucket
    The game is probably going to punish you for changing your strategy with an 0/100 streak (or worse, a Wasp/100 streak).

Feel free to mail a dead fish to me as payback for influencing your decision.