Milestones claim on main page?

jp1
jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
So! At first I didn’t see much problem with this. However, the (very tiny box) automatically changed for me to claim my 700 five star shards while I was without any favorites, trying to decide who to add them to, and I hit claim out of habit to grab a daily reward…and the shard were added to Banner (worse possible case). 

My point is, why have a very small box automatically switch to something that important when you have made it muscle memory to claim daily rewards this way? It seems like a bad design. 

Personally, all I can do at this point is hope support will fix the issue since I haven’t redeemed Banners shards for covers. I know it’s technically my bad, but I’m a little upset about the way it happened.

Anyone else think this should be changed? No milestones should be claimed in that tiny main page box…

Comments

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Yes. My one has been showing 5* Kingpin since they implemented it and I imagine it will be a long time before I bother claiming that one.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    When they introduced the new tutorial, I deliberately didn’t claim the milestones associated with, so one of them is now shown on the main page and not the milestone that gives 5* shards.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    It's almost like they designed it that way on purpose. To make you waste it by accident.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    They will randomise what's shown in the quest box, if possible. Thankfully, I still use only the Story, Versus and Quest Buttons to move around. Hopefully, CS can turn back time for you. 

What's interesting to know from this incident is that all 700 shards are allocated to only 1 character. I thought they would split it up among the 50+ 5*.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I very nearly did this after the UI redesign and agree it was an accident waiting to happen. Sorry that the OP was the victim. I stay completely clear of that box.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I almost made that mistake when the new UI was implemented also. What terrible design to make the milestone window something so easy to tap by accident and apply super valuable 5* shards to a character you didn't intend on. This company has new filter or testing it seems when making game updates and or new characters, it's alarming.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    The subset of players who hoard these milestones is probably so small that I can't imagine them doing any kind of special testing or optimizing anything for them.

Maybe all the players you know do this, but how many players do you know?  100?  200?  The vast majority of players are at lower roster tiers, don't post on the forum, and certainly aren't on Line or Discord or Reddit or whatever.  They're happy to claim these milestones as soon as they earn them.
  • jp1
    edited June 2021
    Regardless if they are hoarded or not, it feels like a poor design choice. In my case they were not hoarded and that is not an insignificant milestone so I was taking some time to decide where to spend it. 

Having removed my chosen favorite, in anticipation of claiming the reward…that left it to go to Banner (probably nobody’s choice) without even a confirmation click. Way too easy to burn a reward that takes that long to earn. Those other players you mention will eventually face the same problems we all do now, so it might be worth sharing feedback about them.
  • entrailbucket
    Personally I'd like a big button on the main page that claims all earned milestones at once, because I always claim and apply everything immediately and I don't like clicking through them individually.

They probably won't do that, because only a small percentage of players would benefit from it.

In the same way, the number of players who would benefit from "make it slower/more difficult to claim milestones" is pretty small, and might be offset by a larger number of players who don't want to be slowed down in this way.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate it. They need to remove the claim button and just take you directly to Milestones when you tap/click on it and have you claim the reward there.
  • Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    jp1 said:
    So! At first I didn’t see much problem with this. However, the (very tiny box) automatically changed for me to claim my 700 five star shards while I was without any favorites, trying to decide who to add them to, and I hit claim out of habit to grab a daily reward…and the shard were added to Banner (worse possible case). 

My point is, why have a very small box automatically switch to something that important when you have made it muscle memory to claim daily rewards this way? It seems like a bad design. 

Personally, all I can do at this point is hope support will fix the issue since I haven’t redeemed Banners shards for covers. I know it’s technically my bad, but I’m a little upset about the way it happened.

Anyone else think this should be changed? No milestones should be claimed in that tiny main page box…
    I was also saving mine until I decide on who to use the shards, and did the exact same thing as you, claiming the reward by accident. In my case it went to BRB since he was favorites at the time, so I didn't contact support, but I'm not sure he was going to be my choice. Nice to know they fixed for you.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    Update: Just a heads up. CS took care of me, with satisfactory results and quickly as well. However, given their feedback which I believe I cannot explicitly state here on the forum, this isn’t something they would likely rectify in the future. 

Given those circumstances, I am even more confident we should at least have an option to verify shards before application. 

Grateful to the team for fixing my oversight though.
    Good to hear. I don't know how many have had to contact CS because of it but maybe they've gotten enough complaints from it already that they will reach out to the devs and ask for a fix or a rework like disabling the claim button.
  • Srheer0
    jp1 said:
    Update: Just a heads up. CS took care of me, with satisfactory results and quickly as well. However, given their feedback which I believe I cannot explicitly state here on the forum, this isn’t something they would likely rectify in the future. 

Given those circumstances, I am even more confident we should at least have an option to verify shards before application. 

Wow, customer services sure have come a long way.

A few years ago I accidentally pulled 40 in the current PVE vault instead of the anniversary one. Both the HP costs were the same, even with the daily special deal. I didn't redeem any of them on seeing my mistake and customer services refused to refund it or swap it.

Reddit on the whole took the same stance. "tough luck, haha".
  • jp1
    Srheer0 said:
    jp1 said:

Wow, customer services sure have come a long way.

A few years ago I accidentally pulled 40 in the current PVE vault instead of the anniversary one. Both the HP costs were the same, even with the daily special deal. I didn't redeem any of them on seeing my mistake and customer services refused to refund it or swap it.

Reddit on the whole took the same stance. "tough luck, haha".
    I’ve received those responses as well, sometimes remedied by a little push back. However, they were fairly easy to deal with this time.
  • entrailbucket
    Years ago, the level of customer service you got from CS used to depend mostly on your total lifetime spend.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Moral of the story - always have a desired character set as your favorite. Simple enough.

As a milestone hoarder myself, that seemed like a safe approach to what I agree is a precarious scenario as currently designed.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    I don't think claiming favorite hero shards for a character you did not intend to favorite is the problem. Not when you already know how to mark heroes as favorites so that those shards go into them.

The problem is that the game itself doesn't teach you to immediately select favorite heroes. Eventually I figured I should mark one 3*, one 4* and one 5*, but by the time I did, I had already wasted a few shards on characters I don't care about. Fortunately I didn't waste a lot, but it's still a thing that the game does give you the option to favorite heroes but doesn't recommend you to, much less explain why this is so important.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Players can go to Settings--> Help --> Gameplay Tips to learn more. It's a basic feature of almost all games. 
  • Srheer0
    I don't think claiming favorite hero shards for a character you did not intend to favorite is the problem. Not when you already know how to mark heroes as favorites so that those shards go into them.

The problem is that the game itself doesn't teach you to immediately select favorite heroes. Eventually I figured I should mark one 3*, one 4* and one 5*, but by the time I did, I had already wasted a few shards on characters I don't care about. Fortunately I didn't waste a lot, but it's still a thing that the game does give you the option to favorite heroes but doesn't recommend you to, much less explain why this is so important.

It's a problem when talking about 5star shards as they are the most high valued shard.