Overkill

Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
Why do players with (for instance) 188K Thanos, clog up (and screw up IMHO) SCL level 7?

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can blame the devs for boosting a handful of 5s by 100 levels each week so people will be using them more often in pvp.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2021
    So... there are so many questions asked by your vague statement that I'm not sure you have the best grip on this game to begin with. This is the single-best resource for anyone that is a little unsure and you really should read it. https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/wiki/new-player-advice
    I'm assuming, since you're quoting what I assume is health (188k) that you're talking about PVP. The very first thing that you need to become aware of is that the level you choose to compete at in PVP has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO YOU ARE MATCHED WITH. SCL in pvp only controls what rewards you receive so you should always pick the highest available. The strength of your roster (mmr), your point total and relative place on the leaderboard are what influence who you are matched with and your opponents can be ANYONE playing within the same time slice as you (the time you could begin/event end).

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think he's talking about pve. There are such rosters playing for placements in scl 7.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    I think he's talking about pve. There are such rosters playing for placements in scl 7.

If that's the case it's because there is very little differentiation in PVE scl rewards, imo. I can suffer but still place decently at 9, have a fairly easy time at 8 or just clickthrough blindly at 7 and still do exceedingly well. I'd like to see 9 actually treated as an entry to 10 with better rewards, otherwise there is absolutely no reason to play it. Hell, the only real difference between 7 and 8 is an extra 3* shard level and like 10 gp/2 shards.
  • HoundofShadow
    Scl 7 doesn't have 5* shards and placement rewards in scl 9 gives 1-2 LTs, extra 4* covers. Shards wise, SCL 9 has approximately double of what SCL 7 has.
    Those rosters should be in scl 9. I think it has to do with Simulator being runned. A lot of players go down one level when difficult pves are runned. I even see 550 rosters playing in scl 9 instead of scl 10. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    He should be talking about pvp as the health of a boosted thanos only can be seen on a pvp hit.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    188k health? Pffft...puny! The thanos I queue have 345k health.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    188k health? Pffft...puny! The thanos I queue have 345k health.
    He's pretty easy to beat if you use the boosted 5*.  The bad characters like Hulk, Okoye, Beta Ray Bill and Scarlet Witch will have a hard time with him, but don't worry, they'll get boosted eventually!
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2021
    That makes sense.  Good catch about the 188k part. That's a champed Thanos at about 46x. 

To answer your question, SCL doesn't affect your MMR. All players, placements aside, are put together in the same timezone that they selected. This means SCL 10 players can see SCL 7 players, and vice versa. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why you see 188k health Thanos is probably because you climbed too high too fast; thus, they were able to see you and beat you. Alternatively, they broke MMR and the game threw all sorts of opponents at them. It will take them at most 20-30 seconds (after including banners) to finish your roster, which I assume is a 3* or 4* roster. If the stars align, it's only 15 seconds. It's like using 4* Juggernaut, R4G, and GotG against opponents in easy node in SCL 7 PvEs. It's that fast.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some high-end players play down as its waaaaaaaaay faster to clear SCL7 vs 10. They could make SCL10 more desirable to play, but let's be real, they wont.
  • HoundofShadow
    They have already decreased the number of total clears and grinds from 7 to 5. They did something. I guess, it's not enough for them.
  • entrailbucket
    If they ever fix the power boosting characters and make cl10 take an hour or more to open and close for everyone, then I'd play cl10 competitively.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2021
    they did something wrong along the line, the jump from scl 9 to scl 10 is huge... may be they could have done better and adjust it to have 20 scl levels and increase the hardness and progression slowly but no they just slapped an extra hard scl level, because if they increase scl level count they had to disperse more rewards because the player base is small and if dispersed no bracket would be full, but they could have dropped down the bracket count from 500/1000 to 200 may be and adjust rewards?!... i guess it is too complicated for them to work out... so many things in this game could have been done better, you kinda get used to or even start to like it...
  • DyingLegend
    They should just get rid of the nodes getting stronger after each clear and just give them a overall average level. Then once you beat the node, you can auto-play it the remaining times you need.

The game is dated in its features and quality of life improvements. They need to do something that makes it less grindy for players or else top end players play down and ruin the experience for players who aren't strong enough to compete.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Scl 7 doesn't have 5* shards and placement rewards in scl 9 gives 1-2 LTs, extra 4* covers. Shards wise, SCL 9 has approximately double of what SCL 7 has.
    Those rosters should be in scl 9. I think it has to do with Simulator being runned. A lot of players go down one level when difficult pves are runned. I even see 550 rosters playing in scl 9 instead of scl 10. 

I seen a big difference in SCL 10 this event. I didn't even play optimally and get all my clears and still finished a bit higher than I normally do when doing all the clears.
  • entrailbucket
    If they make PvE autoplay, they'd have to get rid of placement rewards.  I'd actually be fine with that!  PvE cl10 really isn't super unpleasant if you just pretend there's no placement rewards and do whatever fights whenever you feel like it.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards

I seen a big difference in SCL 10 this event. I didn't even play optimally and get all my clears and still finished a bit higher than I normally do when doing all the clears.

Well, it's Simulator, a lot of people played a bit more casually than normal since the event sucks the life out of you.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    They should just get rid of the nodes getting stronger after each clear and just give them a overall average level. Then once you beat the node, you can auto-play it the remaining times you need.

The game is dated in its features and quality of life improvements. They need to do something that makes it less grindy for players or else top end players play down and ruin the experience for players who aren't strong enough to compete.
    I don't equate auto play with Quality of life. How do you tell an autoplay to use the correct powers say if you use BRB, B4east and Polaris.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Srheer0 said:

I don't equate auto play with Quality of life. How do you tell an autoplay to use the correct powers say if you use BRB, B4east and Polaris.
    Auto play doesn't even seem like playing to me.
  • DyingLegend
    Srheer0 said:

And how do you tell if  your PVP defense team did ?

Autoplay would more or less help reduce the grind in pve. Auto completing the weaker nodes would be nice or if you beat a node one time one way the game knows you can do it again ( minus the rng of the board of course)

Plus they could let you select priority of powers, something this game could easily do. For example: if BRB is in the middle, priotize his powers first.