**** Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) ****

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m not sure who her main team will be yet but I’d like to trademark it as Stuntis before someone else comes up with another moniker 

Doesn't feel right. You're just renaming her, not describing the matchup. 'Gritty' is Groot + Kitty, as an example.
    She's a little bit of a balancing act. On the one hand, I thought you could pair her with someone like Morbius to counter Polaris spam teams. But Morbius takes specials away and you need them to be on the board for her stun mechanic. She might be more of a Carbage or even Venom teammate.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    I’m not sure who her main team will be yet but I’d like to trademark it as Stuntis before someone else comes up with another moniker 

Doesn't feel right. You're just renaming her, not describing the matchup. 'Gritty' is Groot + Kitty, as an example.
    She's a little bit of a balancing act. On the one hand, I thought you could pair her with someone like Morbius to counter Polaris spam teams. But Morbius takes specials away and you need them to be on the board for her stun mechanic. She might be more of a Carbage or even Venom teammate.
    Wasn’t there a Stunner Brothers ? I don’t know who they were but I’m sure I have seen them mentioned . That’s more vague than my suggestion 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:

Wasn’t there a Stunner Brothers ? I don’t know who they were but I’m sure I have seen them mentioned . That’s more vague than my suggestion 

Never heard of or used that one before. I'm guessing Bishop and WorthyCap?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    I think Stunner Bros were Bishop and CapWorth. 

Anyway, this character is pretty niche. However, it could be niche enough to shake up pvp teams, especially in 4* land. All she needs is time to spread the fear of helplessness into players' minds due to them getting stunlocked. 5* players experienced it before when they were dealing with Bishop/CapWorthy. So, they can feel the fear.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since his stun is attached to a 1-turn countdown tile, you can do evil things with 5* Hawkeye when fighting special tile teams.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I compared the purple power wording with Medusa's, 3* Hawkeye's, 3* Ock's and 4* Beast's abilities, and noticed that its wording is closer to Medusa and 3* Hawkeye, rather than 3* Ock/4* Beast. This means a very high probability of it putting one cd per special tile matched. If it puts only one cd per match even with 3 enemy special tiles in it, it would be pretty weak unless you get multiple cascades.

We shall know soon.  

With Medusa hers triggers multiple times though depending on how many special tiles are matched. I just did a test on it and matching 3 friendly tiles healed my team x3.
    "Whenever a friendly x, x, or x tile is matched, if it was a friendly tile, give a burst of x to the friendly team." Is how its phrased.
    Then with Polaris
    "Whenever your team matches or destroys a strike, attack, or protect tile, deal x damage and create 3 friendly tiles...."
    Now with this character
    "Whenever you match or destroy an enemy special tile, create a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile that stuns a random enemy for 2 turns."
    Both Medusa and Polaris trigger once for every special tile that is matched and this character is phrased the exact same way.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stun mechanics that use repeater tiles  with super low health. Whomever this is they will be dead before the repeater fires. Maybe when the character is boosted, they will survive longer.

I wish they'd take a break from pumping out new characters, but this is the world we live in.
    His passive stuns a random guy for 4 turns, for every special tile you match.
     Apoc can't be stunned with a mutant on the team. Give yourself a red ap boost make two red matches, they are dead.
  • entrailbucket
    No 4* should ever be defensively effective against a 5*, let alone one of the top 5* coming in with AP boosts. 

This guy is meant to be annoying to fight for 4* players using Polaris Rocket etc.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Someone explain the fallacy of my thinking : First move Carnage adds enemy specials , next turn Kitty destroys 1, next turn 4 turn stun by New. Repeat infinite. Enemy  Stunlocked in 5 turns . 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Someone explain the fallacy of my thinking : First move Carnage adds enemy specials , next turn Kitty destroys 1, next turn 4 turn stun by New. Repeat infinite. Enemy  Stunlocked in 5 turns . 
    Kitty doesn't destroy enemy tiles, she overwrites them.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    Also, they stun a random enemy… no guarantee all 3 will be stunned, even if you keep matching enemy specials.   
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    edited June 2021
    Also, they stun a random enemy… no guarantee all 3 will be stunned, even if you keep matching enemy specials.   
    I was wondering about that , the possibility it keeps stunning the same character over and over and allowing the other 2 to remain active . Seems like a dynamic that would defeat it’s own purpose. Gamora always stuns a random enemy that is still active in her second random stun . I was hoping it followed the same logic .
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    I was wondering about that , the possibility it keeps stunning the same character over and over and allowing the other 2 to remain active . Seems like a dynamic that would defeat it’s own purpose. Gamora always stuns a random enemy that is still active in her second random stun . I was hoping it followed the same logic .
    It might. We just don’t know yet.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    i am afraid the amount of stuns this can dish up will be like bishop all over again unless you kill it first (well bishop cant be killed in that times meta but since we have high match damage now a days, earlier bishop can be countered unlike that old days).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    There's a certain rule of stunning random opponents.

Assume you use 3* Gamora, Polaris and BRB, you stunned one of the opponents for 4 turns using Polaris. If you use Gamora's Skull Cracker which stuns 2 random enemy for 2 turns, it will always stun the other 2 characters. It's because the stunned opponent is being stunned for more turn (4 turns vs 2 turns), so the game ignore this option. However, if you wait until the stunned opponent is left with 1 turn and you fire Skull Cracker, that stunned opponent can be "chosen" by the game because it would increase its stunned status from 1 to 2 turns.

Likewise, if you have 3 cds out and they go off on the same turn, all 3 opponents should be stunned, unless they deliberately code it to work differently.
  • entrailbucket
    One easy way to avoid being stunlocked by this guy would be to never use special tile teams.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2021
    or just use the skip button... it will only be a novelty while you are climbing; and it will be a nuisanse when you shield... you are better off skipping even if you do have counter teams against a level 500 girtty team when u solely play 4* teams... so if you think you will counter 5* teams you will likley be better off not to, countering 4*, 4-3* mixed polaris teams, you will be faster with a counter polaris team to dish out more damage faster instead of stunning you should be doing max damage possible in shortest time possible. so this only have to potentially break 4*-5* mixed player doing some nodes in pve... which is negative
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    I like this characters kit.  

Could work very well with things like BWIW or the few 5stars that do things when enemies are stunned.

Introducing a character who relies on stuns is also a way to buff the 5stars that are immune to stuns (surfer, cycl5ps when last on team and apoc with a mutant ally.  

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    In 4* land this character would team quite nicely with Black Cat.
    I don't see them being too big a threat to 5* teams. Hulkoye will presumably down this character with ease.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    I kind of like Mantis (I infer) as an option to counter the Polaris meta. I don’t see a lot of Morbius in my retals so who knows how popular she will be. After all, speed is still the main driver of meta characters and Mantis simply delays, hopefully allowing you to kill off the opponents Polaris before becoming a problem. She might be a good third to Karnak/Chavez perhaps. Maybe she will do well with Gamora in Pick 2.