**** Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) ****

Neko
Neko Posts: 91 Site Admin
edited July 2021 in Character Details
2021-06-03-Mantis-Nc-1200x628png

Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy)

4-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Heroes, Guardians of the Galaxy

"A powerful empath that can feel and manipulate the emotions of others, Mantis is nonetheless unsure of herself around other people due to a life spent in isolation. Since joining the Guardians of the Galaxy, however, she has many role models from whom she hopes she can gain an understanding of appropriate social behavior." 

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270)
3297 Health / 12212 Health
 37 | 10 | 9 | 42 | 33 | 8 | 23 | 3.0x
 74 | 13 | 12 | 85 | 65 | 11 | 43 | 3.0x

You are Afraid! -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) The enemy fears losing what they have, and Mantis amplifies that fear into a panic. Whenever you match or destroy an enemy special tile, create a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile that stuns a random enemy for 2 turns. If that enemy is already Stunned, they take 417 damage instead. (Max level 812 damage)
  • Level 2: Creates a 2-turn Countdown tile. Deals 1223 damage. (Max level 2382 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 2530 damage. (Max level 4926 damage)
  • Level 4: Countdown tile stuns for 3 turns or deals 2780 damage. (Max level 5413 damage)
  • Level 5: Creates a 1-turn Countdown tile that stuns a random enemy for 4 turns or deals 3169 damage. (Max level 6171 damage)
Oversharing - 5  AP
Mantis speaks aloud someone's deepest darkest secret, because she has heard this is a good way to make friends. Gives a chosen friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile to the enemy team and give a burst of 861 health to the ally with the least health. If that ally is a Guardian of the Galaxy, decrease the strength of the given tile by 22 (to a minimum of 1). (Max level 1678 health, decreases strength of given tile by 43)
  • Level 2: Gives a burst of 1092 health. Decrease the strength of the given tile by 28. (Max level 2129 health, decreases strength of given tile by 55)
  • Level 3: Gives a burst of 1333 health. Decreases the strength of the given tile by 34. (Max level 2598 health, decreases strength of given tile by 67)
  • Level 4: Gives a burst of 1796 health. Decreases the strength of the given tile by 46. (Max level 3500 health, decreases strength of given tile by 90)
  • Level 5: Gives a burst of 2731 health. Decreases the strength of the given tile by 70. (Max level 5323 health, decreases strength of given tile by 136)
Sleep! - 8  AP
With a touch, Mantis can keep the strongest of minds docile. Stuns the target for 2 turns and creates a 2-turn Green Countdown tile that stuns that enemy for 2 turns and gives them a burst of 973 health. If this tile is matched by either team, deal 509 damage to the initially targeted enemy and stun Mantis for 2 turns. This power cannot be fired while a Sleep! tile is on the board. (Max level 1894 health, deals 992 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 1573 damage. (Max level 3066 damage)
  • Level 3: Countdown tile stuns for 3 turns. Deals 1712 damage. (Max level 3337 damage)
  • Level 4: Stuns for 3 turns and creates a 3-turn Countdown tile. Deals 2230 damage. (Max level 4347 damage)
  • Level 5: Creates a Repeated tile instead. Deals 3582 damage. (Max level 6980 damage)

RELEASE SCHEDULE

Release Events:

Story

Introducing... Mantis - June 17-24

• Rewards Iso-8 and a Heroic Token

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) Shards in Progression rewards

Meet Rocket & Groot - June 17-21

• Rewards tokens to the Meet Rocket & Groot Cover Pack

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) in Placement rewards

Venom Bomb - June 20-25

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) in Progression rewards

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. - June 20-25

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) shards in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Mantis & Friends vault

Versus

Star Athlete - Jun 17-21

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) in Placement rewards

Mixed Emotions - June 20-23

• Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Mantis & Friends vault

OFFERS

Mantis & Friends - June 20-26

• 80 Item Vault

• 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy) cover

• 1x Red Guardian (Alexei Shostakov) cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Elektra (Assassin) cover

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Captain America (Steve Rogers) cover

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh. Interesting mechanics.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trying to restore the stun lock meta in 4* land without making it viable for 5* teams?
    Historically, healers are useless in this game. I'm not seeing a lot of dmg here.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Mantis?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple power got to be irritating, depending on how it triggers. For example, if you make a match-3 with 3 enemy special tiles, how many 1-turn cd that stuns a random enemy for 4 turns is created? Is it 3 or 1? If it's the former, imagine destroying a bunch of enemy special tiles.  >:) Put him with Coulson, C4rol, Drax, or 5* HE depending on what your goal is. 

Yellow power reminds me of 5* Kingpin's Forced Hand. If only it gives up to 3 at 5 covers instead, it could be more useful. This ability can be useful in Puzzle Gauntlet if you need to wait for enemy to create certain special tile.

Green power is unique. It heals the targeted enemy as long as the repeater is on the board. It's likely to be a 4-turn repeater though.

Overall, this is an interesting character.
    Colour wise, it fits Mantis really well.

Shield training wise, I think Eddie Brock, Sabretooth or Carnage could be good. All of them have abilities to destroy board. 
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    For sure Mantis. I like how they are 100% support. They do damage, but not a lot. They are all just heals and stuns. And a super cheap easy to land stun too. Might be effective on Polaris honestly. If the stun is lucky enough to stun her that is. 

And I just realized when you fully upgrade her Green, it's a perma stun. It stuns for 3 turns and it's a repeater tile. So every time it goes off, the enemy is stunned again. No wonder the unit stuns herself because with just 8 Green AP, you can permanently stun a chosen enemy. If that tile is fortified, then the enemy can no longer do anything to prevent it. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,901 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously that Purple at 5 covers (1 turn CD for 4 turn stun) will be super useful against the Polaris meta since you can stun enemy Polaris (or BRB etc) on turn 1.
    But other than stunning this character (Mantis) can't do much damage wise so may only be useful in a pick 3 (Simulator) since there are other better characters to stun or deal with enemy specials.
    Assuming it is Mantis the team affiliation will be Guardians of the Galaxy obviously so makes another partner for Grocket if you need one and will make her 4* PvP *interesting* since it will auto boost Grockets strikes.
    KGB
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    she stuns
    and heals
    and stuns and stuns and heals
    stun stun stun
    heal heal heal
    the 4-star Mantis showwwwwwwww
  • HoundofShadow
    I'm getting a pre-nerfed Bishop vibe from this character. A lot of Polaris + BRB/R4G players could be mad. Imagine your core teams getting stun locked for 4 turns on your second or third turn...
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I'm getting a pre-nerfed Bishop vibe from this character. A lot of Polaris + BRB/R4G players could be mad. Imagine your core teams getting stun locked for 4 turns on your second or third turn...

As a BRB/Polaris player I see the potential here for a major stunlock team with this character. But I'm also more into PVE.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Potentially fun with AND against Polaris. I like the face that you can choose the tile for the yellow power. Waiting until you could match an enemy tile, then casting yellow and choosing that tile, then matching it with Polaris on the team would give you a nice heal, a (probable) stun, and three special tiles of the same type all your own. Not bad! Since the healing is only burst 5/3/5, would probably work well for this strategy. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think his passive will work like Dbeast, you only gain 1 effect no matter how many special tiles matched.
    Its interesting his green becomes a repeater at 5.
    I dont think the affiliation matters much if this character is going to stun the whole team. 
    With polaris colors dont overlap: massive stunlock.
    He could work pretty well with BRB, carnage, knull, and Dbeast also.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Especially if it’s stun per special tile matched not limited to 1 stun per match . This would kill 90% of PvP teams (since 90% are BRB/Polaris).
    A 4* BRB killer is great for the 4* tier players against the whales . Carnage 4 becomes very popular.
  • HoundofShadow
    I compared the purple power wording with Medusa's, 3* Hawkeye's, 3* Ock's and 4* Beast's abilities, and noticed that its wording is closer to Medusa and 3* Hawkeye, rather than 3* Ock/4* Beast. This means a very high probability of it putting one cd per special tile matched. If it puts only one cd per match even with 3 enemy special tiles in it, it would be pretty weak unless you get multiple cascades.

We shall know soon.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Imagine this character in a SCL10 challenge node teamed with some damage dealers. You might not get a winfinite going if the the enemy can keep matching your specials and if they kill even one component of your team it is quit and try again. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,804 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 4-turn stun on a passive is pretty crazy.  If this guy doesn't shut down the special tile meta I don't know what will.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,901 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    You don't get the stun immediately (Purple), you have to wait 1 turn for the count down to survive so I don't think it's OP. As a Polaris / Grocket user I can always let Grocket eat the stun since his job is done by turn 1 anyway.
    Will be annoying to play against but I don't think it will be anywhere near Bishop level even for 4* players since you can switch to America/Karnak and easily wipe out a team with this character on it since there won't be any specials for their power.
    KGB
  • entrailbucket
    The stun hits a random enemy so you can't just put Rocket in front to eat it. Also it sounds like he's going to be creating one countdown per special tile matched.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stun mechanics that use repeater tiles  with super low health. Whomever this is they will be dead before the repeater fires. Maybe when the character is boosted, they will survive longer.

I wish they'd take a break from pumping out new characters, but this is the world we live in.
  • entrailbucket
    Stun mechanics that use repeater tiles  with super low health. Whomever this is they will be dead before the repeater fires. Maybe when the character is boosted, they will survive longer.

I wish they'd take a break from pumping out new characters, but this is the world we live in.
    His passive stuns a random guy for 4 turns, for every special tile you match.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I’m not sure who her main team will be yet but I’d like to trademark it as Stuntis before someone else comes up with another moniker