boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think if this continues, the true test will be when we start boosting the meta characters.  Those weeks might be excruciatingly difficult in PVP.  Both in terms of time per match but also healthpacks needed.  Will be interesting to watch.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    However it is important to notice that meta characters have been repeatedly boosted in a lot of pvp events: class of 20xx boosts in a similar way, best wowen boosts okoye and kitty, all green boosts BRB and ihulk, hause of X boosts kitty PX etc...
    Nothing new, still on some weeks the skip button possibly will have a lot of work.
    Players enjoying it will be really happy, weak rosters will be sad.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    diversity is cool, but matches take at least twice as long.

so no, not a fan
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm actually very curious to see when characters that are in the B+ tier like Yellowjacket, GE Doom, Onslaught, and Carbage get the mega boost how those weeks feel. Or Knull with his already ludicrous health. I recall 5Witch being unbeatable mostly for me during her release mega-boost, so that should also be entertaining. Moving through the boost list 4 at a time will get us there pretty soon. 

I am quite enjoying it though - I would say that it has largely been kind to those of us on the Gotta Champ Em All train, and it reminds me of my days as a 4* player where building around the boost list was the way to go. Since Iceman shuffled back to this week, it would have been my only week without a single champ on the list, but now it's shaping up where I'll always have at least one character champed if not most of them. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hate it.

Takes longer, uses more health packs and will be such a huge barrier to new players joining the 5* game. If I was a 4* player right now, I'd stay there. For all the talk of people not having the older classics I saw very very few non 2x boosted matches. Which meant even though they weren't meta I ate health packs.

Imagine you champ the current 3 as your first 5*s. What an awful experience that would now be and why would you not just softcap like the good old days. I can see the fun in doing this for pve and even though it's breathed new life into them for pvp I don't find it enjoyable.  I ran to 900 the first pvp, gave up at 500 on the second and will review how this goes for the season. If I still hate it I will bail on pvp. 

I think they boost too many at once, so you see too many double boosted teams. I'd prefer they boosted one per pvp event alongside the featured new ones. They made some decent QOL changes in pve but have now added the time on in pvp for me.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    As somebody who has only been playing around 2 years and is just starting to get a handful of champed 5s it hasn't been much of an issue so far. But that is because most of these aren't that great even boosted when going up against the Meta.
    But these boosted characters are gonna get harder as we get more into the newer ones. And there will be times when some players are gonna be screwed simply by not having a handful of certain characters champed on their roster.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is it the best idea anymore to champion the current 3 and move up all at once?

I actually don't know.  I think this changes the meta significantly going forward but I don't know what that means for 5* transitioners, or really, for a lot of other players. 

It seems like players who tried to champion everyone are having fun/doing well.  Maybe it would help if we knew more about the rosters of those who disliked it. 

Do the fights take longer because you're using the boosted guys, fighting the boosted guys, or both?  If you're not using the boosted guys is it because you don't have them at all, or because your other guys are just better?
  • TheRiddler
    For newer players a big part of the reason they target and champion the current 3 is because of the sheer numbers in the 5* pool at this point.
    If you are pulling from classic legends you have a 1 in 50+ chance of getting a specific character. In the LLs or a special store you are 1 in 3. And also you can pick a group where you are guaranteed a top character.
    I guess this is more of an issue for new players. Because obviously it is much harder for somebody newer to roster and champ everybody as it is/was for somebody that was able to do so as they were released and there was a much smaller pool.

• entrailbucket
    For newer players a big part of the reason they target and champion the current 3 is because of the sheer numbers in the 5* pool at this point.
    If you are pulling from classic legends you have a 1 in 50+ chance of getting a specific character. In the LLs or a special store you are 1 in 3. And also you can pick a group where you are guaranteed a top character.
    I guess this is more of an issue for new players. Because obviously it is much harder for somebody newer to roster and champ everybody as it is/was for somebody that was able to do so as they were released and there was a much smaller pool.

Right, I totally understand why they do that and I agree that it was the best way to move up before this change. 

I'm asking if it's still the best way to do it given boosted 5*, and I'm actually asking -- I don't know the answer at all.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards

It seems like players who tried to champion everyone are having fun/doing well.  Maybe it would help if we knew more about the rosters of those who disliked it. 

Do the fights take longer because you're using the boosted guys, fighting the boosted guys, or both?  If you're not using the boosted guys is it because you don't have them at all, or because your other guys are just better?
    28 champed 5* all meta and every meta after Thanos BP. It takes longer because fighting two boosted 5*s takes longer than fighting two non boosted 5*s and the damage I take is higher.

Every single queue was Strange BB or Strange/Iceman and boosted there's also far more potential for it to go wrong. Usually I don't use a single health pack, in the first pvp I used 6-8. With knull I used a few more. It took me longer to get to 500 last night that it would normally take me to get to 900. There's was as little variety in the climb as normal for me, what was there just had way more HP and your gonna take more damage than just climbing with a thor okoye. I still maintain if they want variety and non cancerous metas then just make it so the two you can pick can only be one five star. Bring the fours into play and a billion combinations, so many of the four stars are good counters for a single 5 but never get played because it's a dual 5* game.
  • TheRiddler
    From a PVP standpoint it seems that certainly might not be the best way forward at this point.
    But more people will be having to making a choice to boost their PVE enjoyment at the expense of their PVP enjoyment.
    But one issue that I'm hearing from people with lower level rosters is that even though they can beat these boosted teams its eating them up in terms of health packs. And that is an issue for somebody that only has a handful of champed 5s.
    My question here and maybe the answer to some of the questions is how do these boosted characters benefit the devs? Is it as eluded to above to cause more health pack usage. Whatever it is that would likely answer some of the questions.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You think it feels like more of a grind due to Iceman's damage reduction capabilities? I feel like my float points are all over the place now, but It doesn't seem like it's taking a crazy amount of time compared to normal for me. 
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I took a year-long hiatus of going from top 100 pve alliance to just Deadpool daily.  The boosted fives brought me back for now.  PVE is a lot more fun.

Still not enjoying PVP, but will do a few matches with the boosted fives just for rewards sake.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    This game already demands a ton of time to advance. Increasing health pools and slowing down matches just adds to the slog.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would help if they lowered the requirement for progression in PvP. 
  • entrailbucket
    The other big change that's happened recently was the introduction, and subsequent rush to champion, both Colossus and Scarlet Witch.  Both are defensive-oriented characters meant to slow the game down.

In fact, it sounds like at the very top of the meta, Hulk may be unplayable soon because Scarlet Witch counters him so effectively.  If that happens the PvP game gets a *lot* slower, because Hulk was really fast.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love it. It’s fun and adds variety. 

Oh no. It’s taking longer using your meta teams? Awwwww…. Poor baby. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards

Right, I totally understand why they do that and I agree that it was the best way to move up before this change. 

I'm asking if it's still the best way to do it given boosted 5*, and I'm actually asking -- I don't know the answer at all.
    I don’t think I’d do anything differently than I did before. Once I started earning enough resources to “keep up” with covering 5s (around the DD/Thorkoye era) I did so and softcapped them until I felt I had a number of good teams/ meta options to jump into the next tier with. Getting the meta is much easier than the rest because they are featured more frequently in stores. I then used BH/shards/feeders to work on the less stellar backlog characters, just because I’m a collector.

I’d say this is a pretty good strategy. Pretty low risk/low reward, but it’s worked for my particular goals. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Oh no. It’s taking longer using your meta teams? Awwwww…. Poor baby. 
    this exactly was on my mind pre-bishop nerf
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I used to go grind for 75 wins but now it's just too much.  Unless they change it back I'm only doing 13 wins.  It's just not fun anymore and I'm also considering just quitting PVP completely.