boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
breaking up the meta is probably a good thing. but personally, i'm not a fan of the 5* being boosted to the level they're at. there are almost no matches where you can get through unscathed. i tried to climb in the ronin pvp tonight and lost 11 of the 17 matches i attempted. ended up at 450 with 0 health packs and all my usable characters downed. 

it'd sure be nice with this change if they'd bump up the base amount of health packs to off set getting lumped every match you play. and alter the scoring to accurately reflect the increased match difficulty. 

yes, woe is me. but i can't be the only one feeling this way?

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a fan. PvP is usually garbage for me as I only have four champed 5*s (Old Man Logan, Kitty, Strange, and Okoye) against much more powerful 5* teams, which means I usually get to 200 or 300 and quit (or a bit higher if there's a specific reward I need.)

But if one of the boosted 5*s is one of the four I have, I'm able to tackle a wider diversity of teams. I don't even skip Beta Ray Bill anymore!
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it, breaks up the monotony of the current meta and you can see a lot more diverse teams.

I'd probably feel different if I didnt have most of the classics well covered.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I generally like it.  I thought it would make me use my edge cases like Black Bolt more, who I have at 10 covers.  But instead of that I have been finding fun in fighting the new boosted teams with variations of tried and true.

sometimes maybe a little of both.  One thing for sure tho, it’s more health pack intensive.  Which is what makes me think this trial run might turn into something more or less permanent in some way.  
    So for me, it’s a very nice change, and I’ve been able to find ways to still hit around my goal of 900 and shield.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    Iceman is a staple in PVE for me.  Use him with Thor and Apoc for a lot of nodes. 

I was actually surprised at how little difference his boost made in the effectiveness of his green.
    I really thought it would be insane damage like 20k per tile.  It seemed like he only went from 11k to 14k for my baby champs.
    not complaining just more saying... he’s pretty much always that good.

edit: also in PVE with that team, you really want to take advantage of supports.  I got Sanctum Sanctorum on Thor and Peni on Iceman.
    Seems like half the time I only need one yellow match at least to get Apoc’s repeaters out.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had BB and Strange parked at 350 with decent amount of covers who scaled to champed levels this week but unfortunately they are still a bit squishy against new 5* champs. I did however take them for a whirl in PvE and a good time was had, benefitted admittedly from a boosted Champed JJ fighting along side them. Iceman fared a bit better as he is at 12 covers. I am looking forward to when my champed 5's get god boosted just to get a taste. All in all though it is something different to enjoy.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Iceman is a staple in PVE for me.  Use him with Thor and Apoc for a lot of nodes. 

I was actually surprised at how little difference his boost made in the effectiveness of his green.
    I really thought it would be insane damage like 20k per tile.  It seemed like he only went from 11k to 14k for my baby champs.
    not complaining just more saying... he’s pretty much always that good.

edit: also in PVE with that team, you really want to take advantage of supports.  I got Sanctum Sanctorum on Thor and Peni on Iceman.
    Seems like half the time I only need one yellow match at least to get Apoc’s repeaters out.  

It's pretty much doubled his green damage for mine which is champed at level 458ish. The bigger annoyance is his yellow. The threshold has gone from 10kish to 22kish. Similar to how H3lk has his anger threshold scale when he is boosted.  

--

Regarding boosted 5s, I am happy for it on my main account. Have 26 5s champed and my highest level is 462, don't have anyone before Th5r champed.  

As for my alt account with low champed 4stars. Not seen much effect either.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    big rosters now take my lunch money.  game no fun.  might quit.  stopped paying for game
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I like it so far. Definitely see more variety in opposing teams. Had all the boosted 5's baby champed so far except Banner. Shoud have the rest baby champed until Wanda's and newer 5's turn (if latest do get a boost too).
    Don't find that matches last much longer than usual - if the enemy boosted 5's have bigger health, so too do my boosted 5's have bigger powers. And even unboosted, Apoc for instance does enough damage to be usable with a boosted 5* when their synergy is good. At least for now... maybe things will change as newer 5's with bigger base health numbers get their turn. :D 
  • Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    I like the boosted 5* as well. I think the release of SW and boosted 5* coincided well.  

Since the release of SW, I have seen less Okoye ihulk. Therefore I don't have to worry about the annoying team damage that forever increases.

The boosted 5* match damage dealt can take care of SW and because she does not deal AOE damage I can try different teams and bring variety to my gameplay. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mainly play PvP to 1200 and shield out. I have no interest in the variety. It's been a little tougher, but not beyond my roster. So, whatever. It's fine.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 965 Critical Contributor
    I don't like it but that's mostly due to the fact that I haven't started leveling the 5* tier.  In my case it just means spending a lot more on skips and having more retaliations that are impossible to hit back.  

Perhaps if I was in the haves group I would feel differently, but as a have not it is definitely not my cup of tea.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It doesn't affect my climb so I'm neutral towards it. Most of them don't have high points once you are past 500, so I'll skip them and look for other high point teams, which consist of your typical Onslaught/Apocalypse/BRB etc and the new additiom of Wanda and Colossus.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like it more if Iceman and America were boosted every week, they have made pvp a lot more enjoyable for me this week. Aside from that it sucks when you're using baby champed 5s and out of 10 fights you're lucky if your "easiest" opponent is using a level 500ish 5*. "OOH I finally found someone in the low 500s, sweet!" 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,804 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually don't think I can put into words the feeling of using a boosted lvl675 "terrible" 5* like OML or Green Goblin to effortlessly stomp the hoarders' lvl550 Okoye, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Colossus, Beta Ray Bill, etc. 

It's a bit like the tortoise beating the hare, if the race lasted 5 years and the hare spent 4 of them continuously telling the tortoise how dumb he was.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    I actually don't think I can put into words the feeling of using a boosted lvl675 "terrible" 5* like OML or Green Goblin to effortlessly stomp the hoarders' lvl550 Okoye, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Colossus, Beta Ray Bill, etc. 

It's a bit like the tortoise beating the hare, if the race lasted 5 years and the hare spent 4 of them continuously telling the tortoise how dumb he was.
    I mean,  after a few weeks of these boosts the same 550 players that were taking the top spots in pvp and pve are taking the exact same top spots and players with high lvl older characters are placing maybe slightly higher than before, from what I've seen. 

675 old characters maybe able to take down 550 metas effortlessly, but considering I've been taking down 675 old characters even easier than 550 hulkoye with a 515 apacolypse and 480 brb (not only not losing a single time but usually taking almost no damage) I have no doubt that the 550 meta teams are taking them down even easier. 

So I wouldn't so much call it the tortoise beating the hare so much as the hare still winning even after they let the tortoise use steroids, but the hare isn't winning by as much any more. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,804 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, I'm not actually winning anything placement-wise, and they can all beat me easily, it's just the utterly joyous stupidity of the entire exercise.

The feeling is like...spending 40 years investing your retirement income into a collection of celebrity-shaped potato chips, then miraculously selling it to an eccentric billionaire the day before you retire.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there anyway to put a poll in the thread? I would really like to see a snapshot of how people think, and usually more people vote than post their opinions. I think it’d be pretty split. 

I do think it takes slightly longer to climb, but it’s worth it for the increased diversity. The only thing I hate is the act of switching my teams. Yes, I know we have saved teams, but I mostly use all of my slots for PVE. And don’t want to reset every time I switch nodes. I really hope we get separate saved teams for PVE and PVP!!  That would make the change so much better!

But even if that doesn’t happen, I still like the change. The fact that I’m switching up teams based on matchup rather than going Hulkoye 0-1200 makes me happy. 
    Looking back at my 5* transition thread, a lack of diversity was the biggest reason why hesitated to make the jump (see: below). 
    Variety, the spice of life, was my main reason. As a 4* player, my fastest options were to switch between several boosted 4* options that changed each week, giving great variety in both PVE and PVP. That was the main purpose for remaining in the 4* tier.
    So yeah, I’m happy to see the rotating boosts finally come to the 5* tier!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im quite happy with the diversity and interesting battles this feature is bringing on. Right now I prefer to face 5* boosteds than the usual meta team, for me the waste in resources is about the same. 
    Still there is the skip button for to use it when the match is not worthy(info to OP:in pvp the rewarding points are not there because of the difficulty, instead for the position of both players in the ranks).
    And although this post talks about pvp, the boost comes altogether with same 5*s boosted in pve wich it is a very positive feature and it helps a lot of players.