**** Lizard (Classic) ****

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Lizard is way better than expected. His 2 powers are handy.
    And his repeaters are great in the way that they have high possibilities to mach something, either climbing or converting blue to red.
    Plus can be used as fortified tiles with Heimdall shuri or misty. Pretty versatile and funny to play. 

The fact his repeaters move quickly is what makes him way better than expected. His powers being useful is just a bonus :)
    In Shield Training I beat the Riri/Mockingbird node with just a L255 Heimdall (1/2/2) and a L310 Valk. Valks bounty let me fire his Green a bunch of times and the AoE damage did it's toll. I got the repeaters off just 1 time since I was denying colors to Riri so Purple wasn't a priority.
    KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    Shuri's the queen, Heimdall's the King and Lizard's the Knight in this shield training. All powers cost 3 aps. If you have Shuri's Lab support, you gain an extra ap per turn for that colour if you have four of them fortified. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    A stun on black is kind of interesting; I dont' know exactly how I'd exploit that, but it's nice to have it off of blue.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am finding the opposite. His repeaters play a game of travelling up then falling down. Up and down. Maybe they will be effective against non-tile movers but in my matches they haven't done a great deal. I used Misty & Shuri with him and the benefits didn't really do much for me - I think the fortification game just isn't really there yet to make him a wanted partner. Sadly my Heimdall is 1 cover, making this Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D a bit of a nightmare although I have scraped into round 3. His green is OK although it doesn't seem to matter how you spec it as there is usually a qualification for either red or blue on the board. You can't stun lock with his black - the healing is OK but it seems like a lot of recent releases have had healing mechanics so it isn't really all that impressive. I guess I haven't seen the benefits of his damage reduction so far.
    A bit like Monica, I don't see much here to chase I am afraid. Maybe, like Lizard's new tail, he will grow on me.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    DAZ0273 said:
    You can't stun lock with his black
    You can. I did exactly this against Riri and Mockingbird. Just be sure that he doesn't take enough damage to proc the passive part of his Black. Admittedly, a lv500 Lizard required 8659 damage to proc, whereas a lv270 one requires only 1257 damage, which is practically a match-3 from any 5*.

And yes, a champed Heimdall does make a world of difference. Using him with Heimdall and Shuri made for the easiest match I have ever had in SHIELD training. His purple is solely to provide fuel for Heimdall and Shuri, while helping Shuri to increase enemy AP costs. Riri managed to get off one Selfless Intervention, but once I got enough fortified tiles out there it was child's play.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    You can. I did exactly this against Riri and Mockingbird. Just be sure that he doesn't take enough damage to proc the passive part of his Black. Admittedly, a lv500 Lizard required 8659 damage to proc, whereas a lv270 one requires only 1257 damage, which is practically a match-3 from any 5*.

Ah, OK, good to know for Thing/Mordo.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I already learned that when in WTS I beat riri team at first try, that 4* is good.
    With a baby champed Heimdall and a not much contributive onslaught. 
    Firing black like crazy for to stop riri, Heimdall blue on purple, and firing Rcomplex 2 times.  
    6 little lizards alive decreasing my AP, giving red to Heimdall, and prismatic cleave doing good things.
    On his pvp I was fighting with an okoye and I made the mistake of not killing him first.
    He killed my team with his cheap green and black helped by okoye.
  • DAZ0273
    That sounds great but sadly my Heimdall forgot both his sword and his Rainbow Bridge when he went to the Riri/Mock battle. He did a great job of looking at stuff before he was killed though.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mmmmmhmmmm. 28000 whale points for a reward of 1cp? Yes please. Too bad I don’t have Heimdall rostered. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    @DAZ0273 - I finished the Thing/Mordo node with a 1/2/2 L255 Heimdall and L310 Valk.
    I boosted all*2 + green*2 to speed up his Green. Then chasing the bounty nets you tons more Green. I waited a couple of turns to fire till Valk covered most of the Yellow with strikes so SL had no place to put his CD's. Once I started firing Green the bounty would essentially replenish it for another firing.
    I got just enough Blue to have Heimdall fortify some Green tiles to help things along.
    I didn't even lose a single character since I saved Black to stun anyone who was close to firing a power and the AI only managed to fire Mordo's black twice which actually helped me generate more Black.
    KGB
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    @DAZ0273 - I finished the Thing/Mordo node with a 1/2/2 L255 Heimdall and L310 Valk.
    I boosted all*2 + green*2 to speed up his Green. Then chasing the bounty nets you tons more Green. I waited a couple of turns to fire till Valk covered most of the Yellow with strikes so SL had no place to put his CD's. Once I started firing Green the bounty would essentially replenish it for another firing.
    I got just enough Blue to have Heimdall fortify some Green tiles to help things along.
    I didn't even lose a single character since I saved Black to stun anyone who was close to firing a power and the AI only managed to fire Mordo's black twice which actually helped me generate more Black.
    KGB
    Almost exactly how mine went, save the boosts.  Lizard finished up with about 10K health, and Heimdall (about the same LVL as yours) was at around 1K, but they were all still around!

It's the first time that I've beat that node and the Riri/Mockingbird without losing at least one character...
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Oh boy, the Thing/Mordo fight was easy using Shuri as my 3rd. Tons of powers firing and stun locking.

I discovered that there is also a maximum number of repeaters that can be on the board, so I guess there’s that.

I haven’t found this fight so easy since Polaris was released. That’s a pretty big statement 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    MrEd95 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Oh boy, the Thing/Mordo fight was easy using Shuri as my 3rd. Tons of powers firing and stun locking.

I discovered that there is also a maximum number of repeaters that can be on the board, so I guess there’s that.

I haven’t found this fight so easy since Polaris was released. That’s a pretty big statement 
    A maximum beyond the entire bottom row being repeaters/team-ups?
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2021
    MrEd95 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

A maximum beyond the entire bottom row being repeaters/team-ups?
    I need to try and work out the actual mechanics, but yeah. I had no repeaters on the bottom row, maybe 1 or 2 team ups, but easily 5 or 6 available spots to place them.

the message said something about not being able to place any tiles, similar to if the bottom row is filled with specials

Edit: on closer inspection, it seems that it isn’t an exact number as a maximum. At 14 repeaters, it prevents you from dropping any more, but if you destroy 1, you can drop another set of 3, making 16 (similar to 4* Human Torch’s green).

The message also mislabels them as countdowns instead of repeaters
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2021
    At level 5 he releases 4 repeaters, it will be easy to reach the limit.
    If it comes up that the best partner for the righteous Heimdall is The Lizard, well that was unexpected.
    But Heimdall can always justify it saying he is just trying to save connor.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    I am still fairly new in this game, stuck in 2* and 3* land for now, still learning the characters... I've played only the loaned 1/1/1 version of the character in the current PvP event. But I think Lizard is a little too good, he has basically everything...  has a stun that doubles as a heal, an AOE nuke, added tankiness while his purple's special tiles are SLITHERING their way up the board... little bit too good imho... not sure if he was intended to have a weakness, as he doesn't seem to have any 
  • DAZ0273
    I made it past Thing/Mordo/Star-Lord also. Lizard played better this time around so perhaps I was a bit harsh on him.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    Back to doing Spoiler Free teasers! Enjoy and we'll talk more about this upcoming villain next week!
    Are we going to get a spoiler free teaser for next weeks new character?
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Lizard is better than I initially thought he would be. His green is circumstantial, but I find that the conditions are met more often than not if the team has a nice spread of colors. His black is low-key his best power. It's somewhat cheap making it decent. His purple is fun, but getting his repeaters to the top is a rare occurrence.

The number one reason he is good in my book is Heimdall. That repeated fortifying purple power combined with Heimdall's blue fortifying power is really nice. Since my Heimdall is near a soft cap, I will gladly accept any characters that pair well with him.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    The devs did a great job of pairing good characters to make Lizard shine -- I really liked this WtS, even with a low-covered Heimdall. But I don't think this will translate into a usable character beyond this point.

I would have liked Lizard if the repeaters moved down instead of up, but as they are it's just too frustrating. Not only can you not accelerate the repeaters through good and tactical play, but they often back-slide from AI moves, or moves that you really need to take at the expense of the repeaters. The end result, is that they rarely reach fruition.

There's really only two possibilities for that design choice, and I find them both quite disappointing:
    - the devs deliberately wanted to limit the effectiveness of his repeaters
    - the devs made them move up just to make him 'different', without realizing how that diminished their play value