Grappling Hook: effect varies from wording [Investigating]

George
George Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
Grappling Hook says "When your first creature attacks: target opposing creature gets defender until the end of turn" while the effect in play goes as followed:
If I don't assign an opposing creature to gain defender when my first creature attacks, I get the choice to assign when my second creature attacks. If I don't assign an opposing creature for my second creature attacking, too, I get to assign when my third creature is attacking.
So for every creature of me attacking I get the dialogue to assign an opposing creature until I do so once.

Which is a vast difference to only letting me assign when the first creature is attacking, because so I can chose precisely which creature should hit the assigned opposing creature.

So either the text or the effect is off.

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,276 Chairperson of the Boards

Thank you for the feedback, this issue will be investigated!

In order to help us, please provide the following information (only those you haven't provided yet) if you have it. You can PM me the answer if you prefer, or send it to Customer Support in-game:

• Which card?

• Type and Subtype;

• Is it related to trigger, mechanic, text, or other?

• The Planeswalker you were using and its level.

• Which Event/Battle?

• BattleLog screenshot;

• All cards in the deck and possible interactions that might have happened.

Thank you,

Marcela.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    George said:
    Grappling Hook says "When your first creature attacks: target opposing creature gets defender until the end of turn" while the effect in play goes as followed:
    If I don't assign an opposing creature to gain defender when my first creature attacks, I get the choice to assign when my second creature attacks. If I don't assign an opposing creature for my second creature attacking, too, I get to assign when my third creature is attacking.
    So for every creature of me attacking I get the dialogue to assign an opposing creature until I do so once.

Which is a vast difference to only letting me assign when the first creature is attacking, because so I can chose precisely which creature should hit the assigned opposing creature.

So either the text or the effect is off.
    Related to this, if your first creature dies during combat, the 2nd creature gets the Hook’s buff and keyword bonus… and again if your 2nd creature dies, the 3rd will get Hook’s upsides. It’s definitely busted.
    And Grappling Hook isn’t the only equipment that does that, too. 
  • George
    George Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    To the missing information:
    - Every PW, at least Bolas' God Pharao, Teferi Hero of Dominaria, Sarkhan, ...
    - All events
    - Only cards consistent in most cases: Song of Creation, Whirlwind of Thoughts, Demolition, Shadow Spear

@jtwood
    That at least I understand: When my first creature dies my second creature gets to be the first. It's the same for every support card of the type "The first creature...".
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    George said:
    To the missing information:
    - Every PW, at least Bolas' God Pharao, Teferi Hero of Dominaria, Sarkhan, ...
    - All events
    - Only cards consistent in most cases: Song of Creation, Whirlwind of Thoughts, Demolition, Shadow Spear

@jtwood
    That at least I understand: When my first creature dies my second creature gets to be the first. It's the same for every support card of the type "The first creature...".
    Creatures don’t actually “die” until combat ends in this game.