Question about Lazy Thor and PVE Scaling...

Options
I've read somewhere else that lower ranked covers scale faster, so that essentially a 3* character has to hit around level 120 before they're on par with a level 85 2* character. I've also heard that because lower ranked covers scale this way, a lvl230 Modern Storm is a lot scarier than a lvl230 Bag-Lady (for example).

My question is, does this mean that in PVE, a lvl230 Thor would be a lot more powerful than a lvl230 Lazy Thor??

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've read somewhere else that lower ranked covers scale faster, so that essentially a 3* character has to hit around level 120 before they're on par with a level 85 2* character. I've also heard that because lower ranked covers scale this way, a lvl230 Modern Storm is a lot scarier than a lvl230 Bag-Lady (for example).

My question is, does this mean that in PVE, a lvl230 Thor would be a lot more powerful than a lvl230 Lazy Thor??

Yes. It's not so much about the star level as it is the maximum character level. So if you look at Doom or Ragnarok, who are only two colour and limited to 115, when you scale them up they scale better than say a Punisher who is 141 limited.

So while a 230 M Storm is scary, a 230 Juggernaught is absolutely terrifying.
  • I've read somewhere else that lower ranked covers scale faster, so that essentially a 3* character has to hit around level 120 before they're on par with a level 85 2* character.

Make it 100 for par. Then gets better quite fast. At some steep ISO price.

LT is buffed in this PVE so I doubt that. But you need not make guesses, just look at actual values clicking on the picture on the 'add boosts' screen.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:

Yes. It's not so much about the star level as it is the maximum character level. So if you look at Doom or Ragnarok, who are only two colour and limited to 115, when you scale them up they scale better than say a Punisher who is 141 limited.

So while a 230 M Storm is scary, a 230 Juggernaught is absolutely terrifying.
    So does this mean I'm better off using my 1* characters in PvE? Has someone compiled a ranking of the characters when they scale?
  • Im35's defense tiles when he is 200+ lvl are brutal.
  • The 2* generally have better scaling per level than 3*, but Thor 3*'s abilities do significant more damage than his 2*'s counterparts even when on the same level, so I wouldn't expect a level 230 2* Thor to overtake him on ability damage. His health/tile damage is probably higher, but ability is generally what people cares the most.

In general 2* abilities have very high damage ratio even at 85, so of course they overtake their 3* counterparts if both are brought to 230.
  • So does this mean I'm better off using my 1* characters in PvE? Has someone compiled a ranking of the characters when they scale?

Well, if you can play the opposition side, sure icon_e_wink.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    So does this mean I'm better off using my 1* characters in PvE? Has someone compiled a ranking of the characters when they scale?

You would be if they ever buffed 1* characters. There was an event where Juggernaught was buffed, can't remember if it was PvE or PvP but it was insanely fun and ridiculous.

You can see which characters are buffed in event rules for any event.
  • Since they added the "effective level" feature, it looks to me like a lvl 95 3* = lvl 85 2*. I know this as in the last PVE, 2* Thor and OBW were buffed the same amount as Punisher. As I leveled Punisher up, I made a note of when his effective level was the same as Thor and OBW and that was when he hit 95. So is it safe to assume that 3* are better than a 2* as long as the 3* is at least 10 lvls higher (unbuffed or with same buff)? Maybe, maybe not, but due to the effective level indicator, that seems to be the case. I haven't done a comparison for 1*/2*, 1*/3*, etc so if someone has characters low enough to find that out, it could be helpful just to know.
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    Mondo wrote:
    Since they added the "effective level" feature, it looks to me like a lvl 95 3* = lvl 85 2*. I know this as in the last PVE, 2* Thor and OBW were buffed the same amount as Punisher. As I leveled Punisher up, I made a note of when his effective level was the same as Thor and OBW and that was when he hit 95. So is it safe to assume that 3* are better than a 2* as long as the 3* is at least 10 lvls higher (unbuffed or with same buff)? Maybe, maybe not, but due to the effective level indicator, that seems to be the case. I haven't done a comparison for 1*/2*, 1*/3*, etc so if someone has characters low enough to find that out, it could be helpful just to know.

No, it doesn't work like that.

Effective level isn't an absolute across characters, it is unique to that character. The small shard can mean +30 or +40 levels, so your Punisher was +30 and your other two were +40. If you compare an effective level character to an actual character of that level they have the same stats. (This is only testable before they scale past maximum level)

When people have tracked the damage and abilities, a 2* 85 balances out somewhere between 105 and 120 3*. Definitely not as low as 95. And effective level 125 Ares is a Beast. Much better than anything in your standard 141 stable.
  • Given a level 125 Ares is far superior to any normal 3* at level 141, the difference between 2* and 3* is far more than just 10 levels. It obviously depends on the character in question, but I'd estimate a level 85 is equal to a level 110-120 3* assuming both are completely average in their tiers. While it's true that a level 3* has higher match damage and HP relatively early, 2*s generally have stronger ability damage which is why it takes a lot of levels to pass them up. Obviously, if your 3* is Spiderman, this argument doesn't apply, though you can argue OBW can definitely hang with Spiderman if she was level 125 too.