Can someone explain how to play with Wandavision?

Options
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
edited April 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
I just don’t understand her skills enough to figure out how to use her. I find myself getting waxed by lower levels in The Wandavision PvP because I just don’t understand how to use her.

any guidance on how to make her work would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    At 1/1/1, each time 5witch or her allies get hit she adds charges to her repeater. These charges do two things. The first hit you do is at full damage, the second takes 20% off, the third 40%, up to 80%. At the start of the next turn she releases each charge built up, doing 660 pts of damage for each charge. If you match the repeater, or she is otherwise stunned, then the charges are nullified (I think, this should probably be confirmed). Chaos magic transforms a single TU to whatever color you choose, dealing additional damage for every AP you have in that color. Her blue makes one character more vulnerable and reduces their power set, I think to a minimum of 1/1/1. 

I have been wrecking her with Polaris and Grocket. I start by looking for a pink match 3 to start Chaos Magic which I set to blue to act as a battery for Polaris's stun. 5witch often does around 6k damage to her mirror at the start of the turn, then Polaris often hits for 8k (10kx20%),  then whatever dwindling cascade or damage from matched strikes, then finally the match 3/4. If I make a mistake, and match yellow, then Grocket eats about 6k damage. If not, then 5witch does. It is a race to see who kills off the opposing 5witch first (I make exceptions for Polaris and Karnak, they deserve to die first always). I usually win this race, but have come up short in a couple of matches. 

With a 3* roster I would run with IM40 and Dr. Strang3 I think, concentrate on getting enough blue to stun 5witch and kill off any stragglers after she is dead.   Make sure you don't leave either vulnerable to 5witch by matching their colors. Hopefully IM40/Strang3 don't tank yellow. If they did I might switch strategies or boost yellow and hope for the best. 

Good Luck. I hope I helped a bit.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For the PVP I've been using Polaris & R&G except against Polaris/Sabretooth teams.  Against them I've been running 3* Quicksilver and Riri.  Avoid making red and black matches early since they tank those colors.  5Witch's repeater keeps Polaris from spawning an initial strike so I just look to make a purple match and boost red hoping to passively generate it.  Since Tooth and Nail acts as 4 separate hits Wanda cuts its effectiveness pretty solidly.  Target their 5Witch first then Polaris then Sabretooth.  Not the fastest team but pretty fun.  
  • Tanglefoot
    Options
    Thanks that helps.

but, Sekilicious, I don’t understand your last 2 sentences at all.

Make sure you don't leave either vulnerable to 5witch by matching their colors.
    I don’t make IM40 and DS vulnerable to 5witch by matching blue, pink, yellow, blue or red? I don’t get it...

Hopefully IM40/Strang3 don't tank yellow. If they did I might switch strategies or boost yellow and hope for the best. Don’t save my yellow? My IM40 is likely to fire yellow to get AP back. I don’t understand the “tank”

Both you mention “tanking” colors. I guess I don’t know what that means. If I am tanking yellow I assumed that means “saving” it, but from what I read here, it must mean something else.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Whichever hero does the most damage for a color match is the one who tanks. (i.e. jump in front after making the match)

In this case you would want the loaner Wanda to take the damage instead of IM40/Strang3.

More info here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/26010/character-tanking-colors#Comment_319939
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The character with the highest damage for a particular colour within your team will tank that colour. If you end your turn by matching colours that Wanda don't tank, your characters will eat damage. When that happens, you have to use healthpacks. Since loaner are always full health every match, players make use of loaners (depending on their levels) to save on Healthpacks.

In the current PvP, Wanda's yellow match damage is 54, and even if level 183 IM40 is not boosted, his yellow match damage will be around 64. So, IM40 will tank yellow. This is important because whoever makes the last match will tank almost all the damage from the enemy the following turn. If you make a yellow match before you end your turn, IM40 will absorb almost all the damage next turn.

Since IM40 is going to tank yellow, +2 yellow ap was suggested to reduce the amount of damage IM40 will take because it helps to speed up his yellow ap collection.

I don't know your roster looks like but  someone who can stun Wanda will be helpful.
  • Sekilicious
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have stayed away from metaphors to explain. You were expecting ‘tank’ to refer to a reservoir, like a fish tank, when I meant it as the vehicle. Heavily armoured, can take some damage. Both Wil88 and HoundofShadow explained it. I forgot 3* Ironman was boosted this round so he can probably take some of Wanda’s passive damage when building yellow. I would save Strang3’s stun for before you unload IM40’s red on her though
  • Tanglefoot
    Options
    Cool thanks, that makes more sense.

how do I gather yellow to fire IM40’s biggest value power if I am not doing matches, planning cascades and trying to drop into yellow on a follow on match?

how do I decide which color to fire Wandavision’s purple on, any other color I won’t use during the battle so I never decrease my bank of that color? So perhaps green or black if I am using IM40 (yellow, blue, red) and Strange 3* (blue, pink)? If I understand correctly, the more I have of that color the better.

wanda’s blue decreases the target’s powers to 1/1/1. Since Wanda loaners are already 1/1/1 this part of blue is useless against Wanda, but it also boosts attack powers by 45%. If I have blue to fire Dr. S, but no other powers banked I should stun Wanda, but if I have good damage powers banked (like enough red I can drop Wanda if I fire) it probably makes sense to fire the blue, target Wanda, and hit her with the IM hammer?

if I stun with 3* Dr. Strange blue, I can also steal AP. I should target Wanda’s purple if she has not fire purple yet, otherwise steal whatever color she is banking for her purple, her blue, or whatever other enemy target colors are compelling, like Thanos’s green if they have 10 green already banked?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    You either have to boost Yellow (+2 or +4) or use Switch Purple power to select Yellow which will turn some TU into Yellow and give you some free matches if you are lucky or maybe make it so you can match one of her colors first and get a cascade than generates a Yellow match.
    You definitely want to use Strange stun over Wanda's Blue and steal AP from what ever enemy power is close to firing that would do a lot of damage (ie AOE or single power that does a ton like IM40 Red).
    Your other option is to go with Cage/Strange as your 2 characters. His Red protect will mitigate a lot of the auto damage she does every turn to your team so at least you won't need as many health packs. But matches will be slower of course.
    KGB
  • Sekilicious
    edited April 2021
    Options
    These are all excellent questions, some of which you will have to play around with to find an effective answer. I would be tempted to put Chaos Magic on yellow or blue and use it as a bit of a battery. Blue would be good (I would prefer the stun over whatever 5witch does) though more yellow might be better for more heavy attacks and to keep her stunned. Chaos Magic does boost attacks, but you have to gather AP for it to be effective. Having AP sit there without being used is OK if you're relying on passive powers for damage, but if you're firing powers it just adds to the length of the match since you have to gather AP for both the boost and the damage. So, perhaps an effective strategy would be to hunt yellow to build Strange's blue and IM40's red. Stun 5witch if you can't destroy her countdown (with a match 5 to keep your turn) and nuke her and her minions to oblivion. You might have to use some health packs for IM40 using this strategy, unfortunately.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cool thanks, that makes more sense.

how do I gather yellow to fire IM40’s biggest value power if I am not doing matches, planning cascades and trying to drop into yellow on a follow on match?

how do I decide which color to fire Wandavision’s purple on, any other color I won’t use during the battle so I never decrease my bank of that color? So perhaps green or black if I am using IM40 (yellow, blue, red) and Strange 3* (blue, pink)? If I understand correctly, the more I have of that color the better.

wanda’s blue decreases the target’s powers to 1/1/1. Since Wanda loaners are already 1/1/1 this part of blue is useless against Wanda, but it also boosts attack powers by 45%. If I have blue to fire Dr. S, but no other powers banked I should stun Wanda, but if I have good damage powers banked (like enough red I can drop Wanda if I fire) it probably makes sense to fire the blue, target Wanda, and hit her with the IM hammer?

if I stun with 3* Dr. Strange blue, I can also steal AP. I should target Wanda’s purple if she has not fire purple yet, otherwise steal whatever color she is banking for her purple, her blue, or whatever other enemy target colors are compelling, like Thanos’s green if they have 10 green already banked?

Hello.

I am assuming you are in 3star land if you are talking about im40, th3nos and dr strange.  

The best thing would be use Wandas pink as a coloured tile generator.  

So if you were to use her with Cyc3lps, you would want to select black or red (or maybe yellow) as the colour. And do your best to match that colour every turn to keep the number of that colour tiles on the board lower than the power's threshold (if 10 tiles on board it wont convert any to the colour you want).  

When I was playing that tier, I would use Dr Stranges' blue as a stun AND as a way to destroy enemy AP in a colour they had built up (ironfist pink, Luke cage yellow etc). Note that Dr Stranges' blue tiles destroy AP, they don't steal.  

Don't be afraid to use the boosts before the battle starts to give yourself more match damage, or more AP to begin with. Starting a match with +2 yellow and +1 or +2 all ap makes it a lot quicker to win matches if you are playing "Ironman40 + Strange + other"  into enemy teams.
  • Tanglefoot
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Having a little more luck in the Wandavision PvP.  6 wins out of 7 matches this am gets me up to 12 wins and ranked #20 in my slice (a day left, so that is prolly moot)

Experimenting with 3* Dr. Strange/IM40 and Dr. Strange/Luke Cage. 
    Chaos Magic to hoard Red or Black (as appropriate) until I use the powers.

Blue Stun Wandavision until she has expired. Suppress pink for her team if she has not yet fired her pink power. Otherwise playing the AP destroy by ear - strong team powers usually,

Killing her repeater tile at every opportunity, as keeping it close to 1 charge seems like a path to success. She got to 8 charges on me once and it was not a long match.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Morbius may have been intended as the pre-counter to 5Witch since he is really good at removing enemy specials passively; just tossing that out there into the aether for when she becomes ubiquitous in PVP in a few weeks lol. This feels pretty anecdotal, but AI-controlled Wandas seem to prioritize the strongest match damage color for their team, so iHulk teams felt like they were choosing green a lot/always. I'm curioius if anyone else was paying attention to that do debunk or corroborate.

I think her purple is pretty interesting myself - you can use it a couple ways: as a battery to power something you want to fire off actively, or as a battery for a color you don't want to fire off but stack up in the bank for her power boost. You can also use it if you have a character that punishes enemy matches on a certain color like C4rol, or maybe somebody like Hood who gathers AP based on color prevalency. Or there are a few 4* characters like Nightcrawler or Lockjaw that do stuff based on what color is most prevalent on the board. In fact, I'm curious what a Nightcrawler/5witch/Profe$$or X team would look like for winfinite options actually.

• Tanglefoot
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback and guidance. When I first posted I was winning less than 50% of battles, sitting with 6 wins and 78 points, and probably around 8 losses.

A little less than 2 days later, my WandaVision PvP session ended with me going an additional 22 wins in 23 battles and ending up with 28 wins for 724 points, ranking #3 in my slice.

Stuck pretty much with 3* Dr. strange lvl 183 and 3* IM40 level 177. Was able to regularly take down Dr.S and IM40s in the high 200s and low 300s
    keys were:
    suppress Wanda’s purple
    suppress Wanda’s blue
    steal or destroy Wanda’s Chaos Magic
    fire MY IM40 yellow as often as possible
    steal or destroy yellow, so enemy IM40 can’t fire, or green so 3*SheHulk can’t fire
    stun Wanda as much and often as possible
    destroy her countdown tile as often as possible
    dont be afraid to destroy my own countdown tile if it has no charges and it would give a great match

threw in a couple matches with Dr. Strange and 3* Luke Cage, or 4* Polaris and 3* Mohawk Storm (firing storm’s black and dropping 32 attack tiles for Polaris to abuse is awesome fun) but 3Strange and IM40 were my “go to” team.