So how do you win the 2nd node of Wandavision?

Options
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
I played with 3 loaned X-men, Cyclops, Angel and Iceman. I was able to fire 1 iceman blue power, and 1 cyclops yellow power before all 3 of my characters were dead, while quicksilver somehow fired his fist of fury sometimes 2 times per turn. Wanda and QS had pretty much full health bars.

is this node even winnable with the loaned characters? If so, what is the secret?

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like to use the loaners too just for the fun of it. I have a personal rule that I always retreat before taking what I call a 'bad beat'. For this node, a bad beat would be QS getting off his Blue AoE or crazy cascades (featuring multiple crits for the AI) filling their AP bars.
    Took me 5 retreats before I won. Board literally swam in Blue and every locked tile was unmatchable. If I got this much Blue on a regular basis my Polaris/Grocket teams could take down max champed HulkOkoyes and I'd climb to 1200 with ease!
    Like you, I noticed QS also got off a ton of fist of fury and his tile swap powers. Mostly because there were so many locked tiles.
    Angel is worthless in this battle. You win by matching Blue before the AI and stunning via Iceman and getting Cyc's Yellow out to generate more Red. Switch's Green repeater can be ignored (doesn't do much) but don't let her Purple get out because she can really multiply the damage and generate a lot of AP if she randomly selects a usable color (Blue, Green, Black) for her TU conversion.
    KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you sure you are not using your own 1 or 2 cover 3* or 4*?

There are so many ways to win with the loaners.

1) You can put Iceman in the middle and focus on matching green and purple, and then use Cyclop's yellow to generate more green ap for you. Fire purple followed by green.

2) Or you can put Angel in the middle, and chase blue and yellow. Use Iceman's to stun and to down opponent quickly. By then, It's one shot to down either SW or QS. I know QS can do AoE. Just watch the board carefully.

3) Or you can put Cyclops in the middle and chase red and yellow. Down whomever poses more threats to you.

Whom you put in the middle is important because it affects the strongest colour gained by Cyclops' yellow power. Icema  gives green; Angel gives blue and Cyclops gives red.

Try option 1. It should be easier. Personally, I like option 2 because the risk is higher but it gives me higher adrenaline watching 4 locked tiles on the board and doing my best not to trigger them. In this case, I down SW first.

• Tanglefoot
    Options
    Yeah used the level 255 loaners. 2 battles, 2 bad beats with my 3 heroes dead and Wanda and quicksilver both still at 90%+ health. Actually I bet if I had 2 of each hero, so a total of 6 heroes, they would still probably be at 90%+ health.

personally, I don’t see the value in having an introduction mission this frustrating. I guess it is supposed to show you how bad (in a good way) Wanda can be, but getting my bootie consistently kicked, and it not even being close, is simply not fun, ever.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never used any of these characters before so don't have a great feel for their powers. I focused on acquiring blue, pink, green, and red while keeping 5witch stunned and beating on QS. 5witch put Chaos Magic on pink so I matching it kept feeding blue.  It worked out ok though I probably got lucky.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it's too frustrating with the loaned characters you can always give up on them and use your own x-men characters.  I did it with 5 star prof x, kitty, and OML. One opening cascade ended the match.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's probably due to unfamiliarity with those loaners that caused you to be unsure of how they work together. Those loaners form a rainbow team, with powers that take off 70% to 90% of their HP.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I played with 3 loaned X-men, Cyclops, Angel and Iceman. I was able to fire 1 iceman blue power, and 1 cyclops yellow power before all 3 of my characters were dead, while quicksilver somehow fired his fist of fury sometimes 2 times per turn. Wanda and QS had pretty much full health bars.

is this node even winnable with the loaned characters? If so, what is the secret?
    I won it on first try. Two blue matches, stun Wanda for 4 turns, take her out, take out Pietro. Maybe I had a good board? Got a match 5 cascade so maybe. 
  • Tanglefoot
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Played 5 times. In the first 4 tries, I probably got enough useful matches that TOTAL i was able to fire MAYBE 9 powers - not “in each match” but “TOTAL”. I never had either Wanda or Quicksilver below maybe 75% health in any of my first 4 tries.

on the 5 try I beat Wanda and quicksilver easily. Very little skill involved. 100% luck in the drops you get.

and yes I don’t know the loaned characters at all. My best rostered Xman is a 3* Cyclops level 173.