Life After Nerf: y’all using Danver5 for anything?

13»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say the most interesting team I've found so far to exploit yellow generation is Polaris/Danver5/XFW (5/3/5). The premise with this team is that you need to flood a board as fast as possible with Polaris, then actively try to destroy XFW's yellow CD that he drops - which will in turn destroy 9 random tiles, ideally catching a bunch of strikes in there. It won't winfinite because you can't create green or black the same way, but it does hit pretty hard assuming Danver5 doesn't tank herself to death over that pair of 4* characters.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Polaris/The Hood/Danver5 worked okay in Simulator, but the hard turn end keeps it from being something I’d want to run in earnest.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I just went back to her character thread, which unsurprisingly was never updated to reflect the nerf, and confirmed what I suspected: Her red passive used to just create a single yellow, and now creates 2. When did that change go live? Was it built into the nerf on green?

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/77433/captain-marvel-galactic-warrior/p1
    Most likely just a typo. 
    The power starts with 1 AP, at rank 1, then it increases to 2 AP. 
  • Kolence
    After her change, she doesn't work for that infinite play (and the main culprit there is allowing BRB to get AP when tiles are destroyed but not matched on your turn) anymore of course, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was a nerf. It does nerf her own passive, but on the other hand she won't destroy as many of your special tiles that you might like to keep. 

Anyway, since there are a few proposed improvements here already, I'd like to offer one as well...

Mean Right Hook - create a 2-turn red fortified Repeater tile that does damage and creates red strike tiles. If there are no basic red tiles left, improve existing red strike tiles by the same amount instead. 
    level 5 - 2-turn Repeater 
    level 4 - create/improve 3 strike tiles
    level 3 - fortified Repeater 
    level 2 - create/improve 2 strike tiles 
    level 1 - 3-turn Repeater, create/improve 1 tile
    (PASSIVE) - for every friendly strike tile matched on your turn, gain 1 yellow AP. 
    Event Horizon (PASSIVE) - at the start of the turn, if one doesn't exist, create a 3-turn green Repeater tile that generates 3 Green AP. When CM has 10+ green AP, this power becomes Photonic Rush, the Repeater is removed and 4/5/5/6/6* Green tiles are converted into friendly Strike tiles, targeting basic (or enemy) tiles first. *add targeting enemy too
    Photonic Rush - Destroy 1/1/2/2/3 random row(s), excluding friendly tiles. For each friendly tile in the initial row(s), destroy one additional row, excluding friendly tiles (max 8 additional rows). Destroyed tiles do not generate any AP. 
    Got Your Six - CM sends a chosen ally Airborne for 2 turns and creates a 2-turn yellow fortified Repeater tile that advances a random friendly Repeater of other type by 1. When they land, heal the ally for a burst of Y health, deal X damage to the target and advance all of that ally's Countdowns and Repeaters by 1.
    (PASSIVE) - Whenever an ally lands after being Airborne, CM advances her own Repeaters by 1.

If it has to be with repeaters let it be all in. :D 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I would say that since her own kit involves creating strikes, and it used to involve destroying friendly strikes to gain AP, this change is in fact a nerf. She went from internally consistent but slow to all over the place.
  • Kolence
    Well... Internally consistent might be too kind.
    I've played a lot with her when she came out, even in pvp climb to 1200 (in slice 1) and she would struggle. Even with the best 4's or 5's that would support her kit, or prevent the enemy from killing her before she could get the time to do something. So, the only consistent thing I could say is that she was slow. :)
    One team I saw mentioned on the forum (I think by @PiMacleod ) that would actually try and use her red passive was with Valkyrie and ...someone? but I don't believe any offered true infinite loops, not even close. 
    Perhaps eventually a new character would've come that could interact with her in such a way but we'll never know now.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I guess what I mean by internally consistent is that Red would make strikes (eventually), and green would wipe the board (eventually), and then that drove yellow which gave you back about a match-4’s worth of burst health. Now she just has three unrelated slow powers.

I tried her with Valkyrie, but since you get a strongest color of Red with my roster outside of somebody new, that basically means you need someone who can destroy tiles on red, so I guess your third is Okoye. That may work, I’ll attempt it and see.
  • Coolguy101084
    Coolguy101084 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Carol, Valkyrie and Kitty is nice. Follow the bounty to build red and spam as much repeaters as you want. Kitty will boost all of the strikes created by Carol and Valkyrie 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I used that Okoye/Valkyrie/Danver5 team in Simulator, it was serviceable but not dominant. Passive strike production helps a ton, particularly since you don't care about the quality of the strikes, just that they exist to be destroyed. I don't think it's better at creating yellow than Thor though.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    PiMacleod said:
    My only use for C5rol is when there's a single person that I NEED to feed blue/green to constantly without fail.

Pull out Vulture, then C5rol.  Now black AND yellow can both do the job, with a heavier focus on yellow once you get enough.

Really... I want it to do more.  But here we are.
    You're thinking of Heimdall lol; Danver5' yellow doesn't generate AP for anyone, just gives some burst health and does a little damage. Her green repeater on turn 3 generates 3 green AP though. She really does need a complete scrap and rebuild if she is going to be usable at all. Or we need a character who can burn yellow meaningfully and also destroy the board. I'm not so greedy as to even say they need to destroy the board on yellow either. 

*edit*- oh wait, you mean you're throwing Vulture up. Wouldn't bringing BRB just get you there faster?
    Not necessarily.  You're counting on matching your own protects, or the enemy doing it... And getting more out there.  Its a whole 'nother system you're playing at that point.

I find its rather easy to just boost black by 2 (or 4), and maybe yellow as well.  You'll hit 6 black OR 8 yellow soon enough, and be playing volleyball with vulture, letting your blue/green dude work.

Fun fact: won a PvP in Cold War with them... Lots of Demolition explosives everywhere, and vultures team hitting green.  Worked decently well, once Vulture went airborne.

EDIT: come to think of it, BRB is probably a better choice all around, but thats only because he's BRB.  I mean... I know we're looking for different paths to victory here, but i cant really ignore the existing ones either.  :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I mean, if you tell me you need a blue/green battery, and you aren't running BRB, I'm not really sure what to tell you lol
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I did try running Danver5 in between ThorKoye in simulator just to see what that might be like. The premise being that I'd use Danver5 red once to start seeding strikes, then any time I ended up with the appropriate amount of green I'd fire that off to keep the board fresh. I won, but Danver5 didn't make it out the other side. I have my Hulk at 5/5/3 though, so he starts tanking everything quickly. It's largely worth it though because his base match damage is pretty bananas after a few death cycles.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    I still have a hard time thinking BRB over Vulture for blue green creation.

Reasons?

1). Creates a good amount of both (and some black too) each turn
    2). Airborne... Hard to kill while doing it.

Whereas BRB makes only one blue & green when a friendly protect gets matched (edit: destroyed).  If im not running polaris, the board doesnt get flooded for a few turns easy, meaning i gotta have patience to get my blue/green return.

I dunno... Maybe im not doing it right.  :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is the team that I fiddled around with. My main goal is focusing on generation of yellow aps via her passive, which I tried to chain into something else, depending on the board.

After playing a few rounds with this team, here are the biggest weaknesses:

1) Polaris tanks too many colours (2/6)
    2) It won't work against any team with  BRB.
    3) Kitty might post some problem if you don't get your strikes multiplied quickly or if you don't stun her early.
    4) Apocalypse/Onslaught/Prof X can be beaten, but the problem is one match-4 and Polaris is dead. And it happens quickly.

I think need to create a dupe of Polaris or bring my 5-star level high enough to tank.

https://streamable.com/3enir5