***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

1789101113»

Comments

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah. I’m calling it. He’s not bad. We jumped the gun. I like him with BRB/Kitty more than Polaris vs Hulkoye teams. Especially if the 3rd w/Hulkoye is Adam Warlock, Prof X, or Onslaught. Those guys can one shot/2 turn Polaris if there’s a crazy chain or you can’t fire off a CotW. Magneto keeps you in with his health. 

Also, it’s not his blue that helps as much vs Hulk as much as his yellow. You put that at 5 and put 4 shields on green tiles. Hulk needs 8 basic green to activate Green Door. 

And I really like him in PVE with Cable and Kitty. Cable fortifies his repeaters by matching yellows, which Magneto creates with his blue. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah. I’m calling it. He’s not bad. We jumped the gun. I like him with BRB/Kitty more than Polaris vs Hulkoye teams. Especially if the 3rd w/Hulkoye is Adam Warlock, Prof X, or Onslaught. Those guys can one shot/2 turn Polaris if there’s a crazy chain or you can’t fire off a CotW. Magneto keeps you in with his health. 

Also, it’s not his blue that helps as much vs Hulk as much as his yellow. You put that at 5 and put 4 shields on green tiles. Hulk needs 8 basic green to activate Green Door. 

And I really like him in PVE with Cable and Kitty. Cable fortifies his repeaters by matching yellows, which Magneto creates with his blue. 
    I've been suggesting he be run as a 5* Emma Frost rather than a 5* Vulture for a bit now. I think his blue is....half baked for doing literally nothing while he is airborne for that long, but his other two powers are decent at what they do.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've tried to make it through this thread, but couldn't find the answer.  And why can't his repeaters act like Spider-Ham's countdowns and tick down while airborne???

Does his yellow passive (increase shield strength), still work if he's airborne?  

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I've tried to make it through this thread, but couldn't find the answer.  And why can't his repeaters act like Spider-Ham's countdowns and tick down while airborne???

Does his yellow passive (increase shield strength), still work if he's airborne?  

No. None of that.

It could be there's some underlying reason with how airborne works, that makes it difficult to have passive effects.
    But then, there is Vulture and Karolina and Spider-ham... 

Repeaters could maybe get worked-around by sending Mags airborne 2 or 3 times for 1 turn. I'm guessing his repeaters would get to tick at the start of the turn phase and he could go up again, just like when firing the power now.

All that jumping through hoops still leaves his airborne and passive protect buff clashing. I guess the rationale is you sacrifice the improved defense for the eventual damage... Not quite worth it - or working - in practice, sadly.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks @Kolence
    I guess it's 3/5/5 then.  So basically blue is good if mags is the last char standing, and he has all the yellow banked... still better than 5clops :/
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks @Kolence
    I guess it's 3/5/5 then.  So basically blue is good if mags is the last char standing, and he has all the yellow banked... still better than 5clops :/
    I'm not sure blue is good even then; it seems desirable to dip out and avoid N turns of damage, but he's just up there letting the enemy have free run of the board, so it's not like it is when Vulture comes back from airborne.
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    I've come around on him.  I don't have some of the meta 5's champed and that's hurt me...

But 5* mags allows me to play in the higher reward levels of pve instead of being to drop down to 8 or 9.

Simply put, I couldn't do certain nodes before mags, and now I can... Reliably even.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Tried out @Tiger_Wong's suggestion of Mehneto/Kitty/Cable

Mehneto 3/5/5
    Kitty 5/5/3
    Cable 5/5/3

Used it against a trio of Adam/iHulk/Cable in PVP and I was impressed.

- Mehneto's main role is to protect his team with his Yellow active and passive. His Yellow is better than Kitty's (Mags at lv452: 4 x 375 protects for 6 AP. Kitty at lv452: 3 x 424 protects for 8 AP)
    - Cable's Blue takes advantage of iHulk creating Green tiles to not only stun the enemy (I took turns to stun Adam and iHulk), the charged tiles he creates also prevents iHulk's Green AoE from proccing while fuelling Plasma Barrage
    - Cable fortifies your countdowns and repeaters
    - With Kitty's Red, you almost want Adam's Black and iHulk's Green AoE to proc, since each proc will give you 9 Attack tiles. Plus Kitty (along with Mags) is buffing your own Protect tiles, thus reducing the damage caused by Adam and iHulk

The only drawback is that you need at least 6 Yellow to create Protect tiles and get them going, but that can be mitigated slightly by using AP boosts.

It helped that Cable was on that team instead of Okoye or Apocalypse; things might have turned out quite differently otherwise. Still, Mags/Cable/Kitty is a very solid team.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am probably late to this.... but I think as a third wheel, Magneto can be very useful. 
    I use the team proposed by Bad, which is Britty + Magneto. Indeed, the strength of the protect tiles were so strong that I am taking 1 dmg from Ihulk Bone Breaker. Even when Ihulk AOE was buff by Oko WF, I am still taking 1 dmg. 
    The team is slow as hell, but it’s very reliable in defeating Hulkoko team. I am confident enough to bring in a half health Kitty, knowing that i am going to take very little damage. 
  • atomzed
    Does magneto yellow passive stops when he goes airborne? IE the protect tiles increase temporarily drops back to normal when he is airborne. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    No. The % increase of the shields are static and applied as soon as the shield appears. 
  • atomzed
    No. The % increase of the shields are static and applied as soon as the shield appears. 
    Thanks! That’s good to know! 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Where is it applied?
    I see tiles strength the same as powers or supports say before the fight.
    Also total protects on the board says the same. Next turn, after Kitty's buffing again adds just as much as her power says. 
    Where exactly is Magneto's extra percentage? When the enemy is doing damage? 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You need to do a mental calculation. It's similar to 4* Punisher's passive strike buff.

For easier calculation, assume Magneto's buff is 96% (Magneto and Kitty counts as two for his protect tile buff multiplier) and you have 4 protect tiles totalling 1000 strength. You will see only 1000 strength of protect tiles on the board. However, when you are taking damage, it will be:

Damage -  (current strength of protect tiles * 1.96) 

• atomzed
    You need to do a mental calculation. It's similar to 4* Punisher's passive strike buff.

For easier calculation, assume Magneto's buff is 96% (Magneto and Kitty counts as two for his protect tile buff multiplier) and you have 4 protect tiles totalling 1000 strength. You will see only 1000 strength of protect tiles on the board. However, when you are taking damage, it will be:

Damage -  (current strength of protect tiles * 1.96) 

Oh, they are not adding the percentage to the board values? That’s even more awesome.