old vet needs advice before hoarding

DeDorgoth
DeDorgoth Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
Hello everyone,
I am what you can call a veteran since I have been playing since 2013 (2537 days to be precise). I was part of a competitive team at one point but that was a long time ago. It was before the reign of the 5 *. I have been playing diletante for several years, using my CP to buy Classic Legends Tokens. So I have several covers of each 5 * but I could only champion OML, Dr Strange, BSSM and Jessica Jones. Recently I discovered this forum and learned a lot of things and theories that I really wanted to put into practice. I started accumulating since mid-August. Today I took advantage of all the special shops to get covers of BRB and Kitty. With the milestones, my Kitty is on 4/4/4 and should be champed on my next hoard.

So I currently have 153 LLT and 353 CP in my possession. I'm waiting to be able to spend them to unlock my current game, improve Kitty but ...
... as you know better than I, the current 5 * are not at the level of those of a year ago. So with the phoenix forces (and knowing that I already have 3 Sighclop covers obtained in BRB farming) I wonder if I should wait to have Sighclop, Colossus and the third LL unannounced or if I should take advantage of Adam Warren while he is still there (but without colossus suddenly). I also want to say that this is my first hoard and the excitement is at its peak.

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your hoard should be 300-400 pulls for a legit statistical probability of covering all three Latests. Warlock is pretty good, but you don't have any of the metas. I don't think you'll find the 5* world appealing.
    If I was in your position, I would wait. If the next 5* complements the Phoenix 5's, you might have enough to pull Cyclops, Colossus, Next 5*. If the next 5* doesn't complement them, I would wait for Next 5* and the two after that, at the earliest.
  • DeDorgoth

Your hoard should be 300-400 pulls for a legit statistical probability of covering all three Latests. Warlock is pretty good, but you don't have any of the metas. I don't think you'll find the 5* world appealing.
    If I was in your position, I would wait. If the next 5* complements the Phoenix 5's, you might have enough to pull Cyclops, Colossus, Next 5*. If the next 5* doesn't complement them, I would wait for Next 5* and the two after that, at the earliest.

Thank you Borstock for your answer. I admit that I have the feeling that the current legends are not great. Maybe there will be something cool about the 5 phoenix forces. Like you say I have to be patient.
    Regarding the meta, the only thing is that I would like to up kitty to 13 covers so that I can be more solid in BRB-Kitty-Polaris.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have Dr Strange and Jessica Jones champable.

They aren't meta, but I'd put then in the tier just below.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Having just finished Warlock myself, I can tell you he really doesn't hit hard enough to be useful without a power boosting teammate  If you aren't running him with a champed Apoc or Okoye you probably won't get any utility out of him.  There's probably better options coming, whether it includes Phoenix 5 characters or not.
  • DeDorgoth
    Anon> yes, in fact I have already champed Jessica Jones, Dr Strange, BSSM and OML. They are quite useful for the PVE. For PVP, at my level I usually play Kitty and BRB.
    Besides, opening LT will allow me to get shards for up my Kitty to 13 covers.

Theghouse> Thx for the info !
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Kitty is amazing, especially if you have 4Rocket and Polaris. That team can chew threw pve SCL 9 with no issues. Even SCL 10 you can clear much of it relatively easy until the enemies scale up much higher around the 4th and beyond clears. Kitty also works great with Beta Ray buffing his protect tiles and creating her own with yellow, that combo can keep you alive being able to tank so much damage once the protects are out. 

As far as the current latest store, I wouldn't personally go hard for any of them. You eventually have to cash in your LL tokens in that store at some point, but I'd wait out for a store in the future if we're lucky that will have at least 2 really good 5s. Hopefully that will actually occur again, hopefully. 

You have some decent 5s with Strange, JJ is good, and others already. I'd probably save up your CPs for any special stores with BRB, or Apocalypse,  try to get them usable.  Other than that I'd hoard right now and aim for that 300 pulls to hit LLs next time there's a couple good 5s at the same time. The only good thing about D3s stretch of lamo 5s is it's given many of us plenty of time to build up our hoards. Unfortunately I'm losing confidence when/if we'll have a LL store again with  2 really good 5s and a 3rd who is decent. But it has to get better at some point. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    DeDorgoth said:

Thank you Borstock for your answer. I admit that I have the feeling that the current legends are not great. Maybe there will be something cool about the 5 phoenix forces. Like you say I have to be patient.
    Regarding the meta, the only thing is that I would like to up kitty to 13 covers so that I can be more solid in BRB-Kitty-Polaris.
    If your Kitty is at 4/4/4, you should be able to finish her without popping your growing hoard prematurely. Save it for a more purposeful use.

How is your 4* Emma? Any feeder cover/shards from her on the horizon?
    Kitty shards are also coming up soon as PVP placement rewards. Not sure if that's a viable source for you or not, but it would be worth the extra push there if you can.
  • DeDorgoth
    Thanks guys i will continue with kitty and use my cps on the next stores with characters i need. And accumulate my LT until a good 5 * points the tip of his nose.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    DeDorgoth said:
    Thanks guys i will continue with kitty and use my cps on the next stores with characters i need. And accumulate my LT until a good 5 * points the tip of his nose.

I've played since Thor was in LL (3 years) and have done both methods of pulling LLs. Either waiting for a good trio to enter LL and pulling 270+ of them, or just spending LL pulls as soon as I got them.  

With spending as soon as I got, I would get 10-15 covers of a single 5star between the time they enter Latest and the time they leave Latest.  

Without a feeder, it can take a long time to get 5s that aren't in latest fully covered.  

Some people like the fan favourite / special stores. I've only had luck in 1/5 of them, so I tend to stay away from them as I would get no 5s, or get the dud one (I would get archangel covers in the next special store based on my luck!).  

Be patient and you'll get there. If you use a spreadsheet, you can track your CP and LL gains over time. I think I earn 1-3 LL pulls a day and play pve scl9. PVP up to 900ish points.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    no hoard.  best advice
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    no hoard.  best advice
    This is the best advice if you really,  really love mediocrity.  If you want to get into high level end game content though then your only options are hoard or have tons of disposable income to spend on the game. 
  • McPosterson
    Asking advice on d3 forum is best way to ensure mediocre result, no?
  • BriMan2222
    edited March 2021
    Asking advice on d3 forum is best way to ensure mediocre result, no?
    No. The best advice would be from vets who have been playing the game for years and have a wealth of knowledge.  You will find those vets here on the forum.  
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    When i saw the title of this, i had a small hope that you were an elderly veterinarian starting to play the game. i didn't think it was likely, but that's where my mind went.
  • McPosterson
    No. The best advice would be from vets who have been playing the game for years and have a wealth of knowledge.  You will find those vets here on the forum.  
    See many names on forum.  Not many of them are at top of rankings.  Thinking vets talk elsewhere, no?
  • BriMan2222
    edited March 2021
    See many names on forum.  Not many of them are at top of rankings.  Thinking vets talk elsewhere, no?
    You're not looking very hard then.  I recognize alot of the top pve and pvp players posting on these forums.  I myself place at least top 10 in scl 10 pvp each event and often t5 and I recognize many of the players placing near me posting here as well as the top players in my scl 10 pve bracket. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,568 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to break up things but your posts really remind me of Rorschach from Watchmen for some reason in the linguistic style! "MPQ forums hive of scum and villainy. The accumulated filth of all their hoarding will foam up above their waists and all the forum users will look up and shout 'Save us!' and I will look down and whisper...'No'"

Uhm...sorry...
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    If he said ‘yes?’ instead of ‘no?’, he would be Death’s Head.

(We need Death’s Head in the game; 30 foot tall robot bounty hunters are massively under represented in MPQ).