Life After Nerf: y’all using Danver5 for anything?

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    She's up on the shelf, collecting dust.  But every so often it's nice to look up and see how many toys I could play with later if another toy was released that played well with one of the shelved toys.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it sounds like that feather duster hasn't come out yet? I was wondering if there weren't perhaps a novel Magneto or Sighclops team we knew about yet.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the more pertinent question might be: Life after buff: y'all using Archangel for anything?
    But the answer is almost certainly similar.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it sounds like that feather duster hasn't come out yet? I was wondering if there weren't perhaps a novel Magneto or Sighclops team we knew about yet.

Archangel is waiting!
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    I think the more pertinent question might be: Life after buff: y'all using Archangel for anything?
    But the answer is almost certainly similar.
    When I need a third with one his colors and a TON of hit points.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    came across a level 550 danvers in pvp yesterday. i used her as a punching bag.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Danvers seems like a character that they modified the skill set for once they realized she would have insane interactions with GrockaKitty. 
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    I really wish they would give her a complete overhaul; she’s gone from situational utility, to game-breaking exploit, to boring garbage.

As one of the most powerful Marvel heroes, she deserves a full rework, not even a tweak, just completely new powers from the ground up.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    tonypq said:
    Yeah she's a big letdown considering how good her 4/3*s were. Her red repeater always gets matched or destroyed ASAP before it can do anything. It's a shame with abilities like her red D3 doesn't allow you decide where to place it. Green is pretty meh now. I only use her when she's buffed. Her yellow comes in handy sometimes protecting other characters. 

I agree when they nerfed her they should've buffed her other powers, I mean she was very disappointing upon release to begin with. They could have buffed her red making her worth using. 
    Was her 3* actually that good though, there is some situational use with her red but her yellow is too conditional even before you leave the 3* game, unfortunately it seemed more like the 4* was the exception in the Captain Marvel range.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I've never had a use for the 3*, but the 2* I like for match-5 creation along with 2* Magneto to trigger 2* Hawkeye on DDQ teams. Here yellow drops...9? team up tiles, which even though they overwrite anything on the board, tend to do well making matches.

• AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    C5rol is great for when I'm hitting the level 65 nodes in SL10 with Thanos and need a HP sponge. The reason she's great is because I can knock her health to nothing daily and know I won't need her at all for anything else the rest of the day.

Not much else.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only use for C5rol is when there's a single person that I NEED to feed blue/green to constantly without fail.

Pull out Vulture, then C5rol.  Now black AND yellow can both do the job, with a heavier focus on yellow once you get enough.

Really... I want it to do more.  But here we are.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    There’s a 5* Carol? 😂
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    I'm not a big fan of Danver5' CDs and repeaters, more often than not they get matched away before they can do anything. I would prefer her green CD do something more like send her airborne for one turn then spam x-number of charged tiles and do some board shake by destroying x-number of tiles.
    Her yellow is okay but I don't use it often because it puts her CDs and repeaters on hold, which is totally frustrating.
    I liked her red when strike tiles were the meta, but they're not quite what they used to be since Apocalypse landed and we got the Warlock and IMhulk passive team damage thing happening.
    Since she's been built more as a support character than as an attacker, maybe have her passively absorb and destroy x-number of charged tiles of any colour if your team has less than x-AP of that colour. It would make her useful to almost any team adding AP generation and board shake.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    PiMacleod said:
    My only use for C5rol is when there's a single person that I NEED to feed blue/green to constantly without fail.

Pull out Vulture, then C5rol.  Now black AND yellow can both do the job, with a heavier focus on yellow once you get enough.

Really... I want it to do more.  But here we are.
    You're thinking of Heimdall lol; Danver5' yellow doesn't generate AP for anyone, just gives some burst health and does a little damage. Her green repeater on turn 3 generates 3 green AP though. She really does need a complete scrap and rebuild if she is going to be usable at all. Or we need a character who can burn yellow meaningfully and also destroy the board. I'm not so greedy as to even say they need to destroy the board on yellow either. 

*edit*- oh wait, you mean you're throwing Vulture up. Wouldn't bringing BRB just get you there faster?
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    I don’t think she needs a complete rework.

Yellow is fine (though characters who go airborne should get to keep counting down their tiles if that is helpful to them).

Passive green would be okay at 2 turns and very good at 1 turn. Active green would be fine if it was put back the way it was.

Red would be very good if it was at 1 turn or 6ap, and amazing if both. 
    These pretty simple tweaks would make a near-useless character a very good character. 
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Aweberman said:

Yellow is fine (though characters who go airborne should get to keep counting down their tiles if that is helpful to them).

Passive green would be okay at 2 turns and very good at 1 turn. Active green would be fine if it was put back the way it was.

These pretty simple tweaks would make a near-useless character a very good character. 
    I really like the idea of countdowns/repeaters continuing when you toss your own characters in the air. It would make the entire mechanic much more interesting not just for C5rol, but Heimdall etc too.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    AndiTi said:
    Aweberman said:

I really like the idea of countdowns/repeaters continuing when you toss your own characters in the air. It would make the entire mechanic much more interesting not just for C5rol, but Heimdall etc too.
    Exactly, and Spider-ham does it, so we know it's technically possible.  Her powers really need to cost less ap, lower repeater number, or fire/fortify when fired.  More than one of those would be great, but those were complaints about her since the get go.  She's fallen into pure meatshield tier (looking at you Wasp, Banner, KP, etc.).  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited March 2021
    The whole Airborne Countdown thing was baffling, because Maria Hill came out with the messaging that it was too hard to do and she wasn't that long after Ham. 

If you put her green back how it was, her Red passive (generate 2 yellow for every friendly strike destroyed by a means other than a match) would be good. I would LOVE to know if that was the reason she was nerfed to avoide some Magneto or Sighclops synergy we didn't see coming, or if it was specifically to crush the BRB/Polaris winfinite, which as we've all remarked went right on trucking with any number of other green board crushers.

If you made her red do SOMEthing at fire, it would change a lot in terms of her usability. You can see that they learned that lesson with Magneto, whose red is just better in every way and does largely the same thing.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited March 2021
    I just went back to her character thread, which unsurprisingly was never updated to reflect the nerf, and confirmed what I suspected: Her red passive used to just create a single yellow, and now creates 2. When did that change go live? Was it built into the nerf on green?

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/77433/captain-marvel-galactic-warrior/p1