***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Who are you using Magneto with to counter iHulk? He is lvl 457 on my roster and I can’t get him anywhere near as close to a reliable pick-2 hulk counter as I expected. Unless the required character has the X-Men affiliation he takes a lot of damage when I try it.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    The only thing Magneto countered was people who didn’t hoard before he was in latests.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    I think Magneto is fun, he’s a nice option sometimes in pick 3 with Britty.  But it always seems to me that I get thru Hulkoye just as well with Polaris in third.  And it ends up being faster.
    but I like him for variety.  His Yellow can really clamp down on green tiles.

but like pointed out above, he doesn’t do much in pick 2.  Hardly a counter at all.  I do use him more in pick three tho, for exactly this variety purpose, than I do Heimdall or SamDak tho, who are arguably ‘better’ characters overall.  But I am only going to trot out purposefully to mess with teams built around them.  So Magneto sees more use from me.

one thing might be that I don’t take on Hulkoye teams much above a 470 Okoye.  Maybe at some point he becomes a lot more useful than Polaris.  

Edit: but to get back to topic of Colossus, I can imagine a way a match damage meta team might offer a fun and usable counter to Hulkoye, if it included potential cascade from your very first turn,  kind of in the same way Prof X/Onslaught is often viable,  going up with that team in a pick 2 is like pulling a slot machine.  It’s fun and addictive, I think, because of that.  And great character design.  
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    On pick 3 I never lose on hulkoye teams. On pick 2 is better to equip boosts but my ratio is 70%. If the required is an xmen increases.
    I did beat okoye level 500 a couple of times. 
    Magneto cannot fight without brb .
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Well if the character isn’t an X-Men, then BRB is doing all the work right?  Or you mean you find that Magneto’s yellow is that useful?  I’ll mess around this PVP, but on paper, it’s really hard to imagine him being better than Kitty in pick 2.

edit:  ah I see he counts himself, so he is doing some.  I will give it a fair shot and see what happens.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    If we had a good yellow battery Magneto would be fine, but he needs BRB to seed the board with protects while you gather it. He's fine as a 3rd in pick 3, but not as good with BRB as Kitty I find.
  • Bad
    The main difference is that kitty cannot afford to match any protect, and magneto can aim for match them. 
    On a good board there is no damage suffered.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    What about Colossus, Peggy and Yelena for some of the harder PVE nodes? Peggy and Yelena should protect you from powers while Colossus reduces the match damage.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    On pick 3 I never lose on hulkoye teams. On pick 2 is better to equip boosts but my ratio is 70%. If the required is an xmen increases.
    I did beat okoye level 500 a couple of times. 
    Magneto cannot fight without brb .
    I think it was asked previously but didn't see an answer.  Who are your other 2 you use with Magneto?  Thanks!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    This may need to move over to the Magneto thread, but if you run BRB/Kitty with Magneto it's an iron fortress. You can also insert Polaris for Kitty, or possibly for BRB if you have a bunch of yellow ready to go to seed the board with shields. That's the issue with Magneto- he is +3 yellow + a match 3, or 2x matches away from having any shields out at all, so a bad board is going to really be a problem. I think Magneto is just a 3rd wheel character right now; until somebody with the X-Men tag drops who can get protect tiles out faster than he can, you just have to play him too technically compared to Kitty in Pick 2. Kitty + Lockheed Support + Magneto is fine in PVE though because she starts with Protects on the board for every X-Man in play.
  • LavaManLee
    Thanks!  To keep this on topic, I wonder if Magneto, Kitty, Colossus would provide a headache in PVP?  Beatable but might take too long so would be a skip?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I believe a player controlled hulk team would curb stomp that team unfortunately. Magneto needs seed yellow or seed protects to work, and to be a real hulk counter he needs to prioritize dropping protects on green to clog them up.
  • LavaManLee
    I believe a player controlled hulk team would curb stomp that team unfortunately. Magneto needs seed yellow or seed protects to work, and to be a real hulk counter he needs to prioritize dropping protects on green to clog them up.
    Thanks.  Yeah.  Hoping whichever 5* comes out next has good synergy with Cyc and Col.
  • Bad
    I think it was asked previously but didn't see an answer.  Who are your other 2 you use with Magneto?  Thanks!
    I said that on his thread since the very beginning(and repeated and repeated).
    He is great with brb and polaris. He can engage any team although against a britty team it will be a really long battle.
    That could change replacing polaris for colossus.
    Certainly then hulkoye team effectivity will drop.
  • Bad
    There is no perfect team on defense and hulkoye will be always the fastest.
    But sometimes Im happy to see that a hulkoye team has lost his hit :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I've seen a couple God-Boosted Collossi in the Falcon pvp; at those levels he is pretty formidable but I'll be very curious to see if that remains true after that falls off.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I've seen a couple God-Boosted Collossi in the Falcon pvp; at those levels he is pretty formidable but I'll be very curious to see if that remains true after that falls off.

I used him in the Scarlett Witch PVP just to check him out. Mine is only at 3 covers (2 yellow and 1 blue) and thus was boosted only to level 345. I boosted AP +1 and red/yellow match damage. But all the same I was able to take him and America Chavez and win 3 matches in a row against much better teams. Off the top of my head I beat a champed BRB/Polaris, champed Britty and champed Kitty/Polaris. These are baby champ 5s in the 450-460 range. But still Colossus was also only 345.
    I imagine it would have been easier if Colossus was champed. It also could have been even easier if I used more boosts.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Anyone higher on Colossus after his intro  and PVP event ?

I know some have said his yellow will help against match damage in challenge nodes and against Kitty/Rocket teams which is nice, although actives/passive damage will still chew through your team in quick work. The boost to match damage with no gimmick like AW or IH is great. Strong cheap black is good, blue redeems itself a bit due to removing any type of tile. 

He seems to be pretty solid, but I'm still having a hard time deciding how badly pI need/want him or how often I'd use him. Especially players with all the meta 5s already. I was curious how many others you plan to skip Colossus or go hard to get him. 
  • LavaManLee
    I am a 5* player and currently don't see use for him unless required (I have all metas except for Onslaught champed).  However, if I were a 4* player, I see his yellow being huge for my team and would definitely use him more.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    tonypq said:
    Anyone higher on Colossus after his intro  and PVP event ?

I know some have said his yellow will help against match damage in challenge nodes and against Kitty/Rocket teams which is nice, although actives/passive damage will still chew through your team in quick work. The boost to match damage with no gimmick like AW or IH is great. Strong cheap black is good, blue redeems itself a bit due to removing any type of tile. 

He seems to be pretty solid, but I'm still having a hard time deciding how badly pI need/want him or how often I'd use him. Especially players with all the meta 5s already. I was curious how many others you plan to skip Colossus or go hard to get him. 

It seems like it all depends on where you are at in the game and in terms of roster depth at the top.
    If you are somebody who has a high level Okoye-Hulk then what is the point of Colossus? Or really any other character that isn't God-tier for that matter. Especially when PVP is where you are needing better teams and most of those are pick 2. In a pick 2 why would you bring hardly any of the newer characters over Hulkoye or Britty. Also a higher level player is gonna be seeing mostly teams where they most likely wouldn't want to run Colossus against at the current moment.
    But for lower level players in 3, 4 or 4/5 land he could be a decent character. I've seen several newer players talking about effectively using him as a shield or in conjunction with your critical tile creators.
    I can't say if I will be pulling for him or skipping without knowing the next several 5* releases. Because I have no interest in Yellowjacket or Cyclops to make pulling a necessity.
    We also don't know how the upcoming characters might work with him given that the last two releases were Phoenix 5. And also it is worth keeping in mind that match damage is becoming a trend with these releases. The last 4 5* releases all have a mechanic that boosts match damage. And Colossus has a mechanic that protects against match damage. And that mechanic is could be more valuable down the road.
    But I plan on waiting at least until Cyclops/Colossus/X and then the preview next release before a major pulling in any event. And would only pull if Cyclops is in there if the next release somehow greatly benefits doing so.