***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• Coolguy101084
    Coolguy101084 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like this character. He’s gonna be in front a lot and he’s gonna hit hard. His black power only costs 6 AP. Idk who said it’s better than GEDoom but I dont really see how. Colossus is gonna be in front quite a bit and those look like 2 hits and multiple hits are usually Apoc/Okoye approved. Which means he’ll do more damage than Doom with buffers. 

I wonder if you can target 2 tiles to remove on his blue. I hope the 2nd removal isn’t random.

This really looks like one of the better tanks for people who run 4*s vs those hard nodes in pve. 

I already like the thought of him with Rogue and ProfX. Or with Onslaught and America Chavez. 
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I am kind of wondering if maybe a future Phoenix Five will have some form of AP relievement.  Either reducing or being a big generator,  because his Blue as well as Cyclops Green just seem so over the top expensive.

That could be where affiliation plays in too.   Like every member reduces certain AP costs by one,
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Can someone please shine light on how this clue, “ Not Blue-Grey? Hmm”, relates to our new 5 star?
    Someone actually guessed him on one of the two upcoming threads.  Their reasoning was that usually Colossus’ steel skin has a blue grey kind of tint.  But Phoenix Force Colossus seems more silver.  
    I dont really see it but I guess.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    That blue may had been good 5yrs ago to remove Sentry's yellow strike tile, but in today's game it's pretty ridiculous for a 5* or even a 4* to remove 1 or 2 special tiles. They are overcosting the ability to choose the tile. Again, in today's game everyone makes multiple special tiles very easily. I'd rather they remove the ability to select the tile and have it remove multiple special tiles instead

(No. I don't play anymore, but I like to stop by to see what's new)
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    That blue is pretty weak. It would have been better if it negated X% of aoe damage and then returned part of that damage back to the enemy team.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    He could have been a lot better.  

Blue costs a little too much AP. Onslaughts blue, BRBs blue and Polaris blue are far better in comparison. The only time I can see it being great is if the enemy have a specific fortified tile that you need removing.  

It's good at D3 are making more characters with % match damage increases, but he shares two colours with Adam Warlock.  

A potential partner for him could be Killmonger. Killmonger can give him even more base match damage if going up against enemy Kittys and Okoyes as their strongest colours are yellow and black respectively. And Killmonger also has red and pink powers for almost rainbow coverage.  

For match damage comparison, my Adam warlock and killmonger team do about 12-14k match damage when hitting okoyes with a yellow or black match 3.

Other synnergy would be with kitty to destroy enemy tiles he makes, or with someone like sabretooth.

Overall, not impressed and won't break horde for him. Only trying for a single cover of him.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    He could have been so good... in his current state he just seems decent, better than sighclops for sure, but as some have pointed out probably better with 4 teams than 5 teams

His yellow is decent (could have been so good if he would remove any damage) but it looks designed to counter a meta that does not exist (at least not yet). And pretty disappointing it does not protect him.

His black is good, that damage when he is in front for 6 AP is pretty good.

Then his blue, choosing which are the tiles removed could be convenient sometimes, but again, they added some useless damage that raises the cost too much. A 3 matches power would be expensive but tolerable, but 4 matches is too much for the effect.

All in all, ANOTHER just decent release that will not change the meta in any way in either PvP or PvE :(

I don’t get why Devs give us another Phoenix char, that doesn’t really synergy at all with the previous one (I dont expect match damage to stack with sighclops yellow, but I might be wrong here). I imagine we will get at least another Phoenix char, most probably Emma if I have to guess, I hope her will have a bit more synergy with them.

PS: And again, why 4 releases are so much better lately?!?!?!
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Now that we can preview the character in game, it looks like they lowered his blue to 9 AP.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    mdreyer93 said:
    Now that we can preview the character in game, it looks like they lowered his blue to 9 AP.

Unfortunately, it would have to be lowered to a cost of 3 to have any relevance. No one will ever run this character at anything other than 5/5/3.
    KGB
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like this character. He’s gonna be in front a lot and he’s gonna hit hard. His black power only costs 6 AP. Idk who said it’s better than GEDoom but I dont really see how. Colossus is gonna be in front quite a bit and those look like 2 hits and multiple hits are usually Apoc/Okoye approved. Which means he’ll do more damage than Doom with buffers. 

I wonder if you can target 2 tiles to remove on his blue. I hope the 2nd removal isn’t random.

This really looks like one of the better tanks for people who run 4*s vs those hard nodes in pve. 

I already like the thought of him with Rogue and ProfX. Or with Onslaught and America Chavez. 
    He will not be a good partner with Okoye with his match damage.  With Apoc why would you fire Colossus?  For 2 more AP you can do significantly more damage with those protect tiles out?  

In a vacuum comparing Colossus black to GED remember GED heals himself and steals black and yellow AP to accelerate His powers.  He also does not need to be in front to do full damage.  On an AP cost GED and Colossus will do similar damage, but when you take into consideration GED steals black and does the damage unconditionally I feel it is better.

I agree he will be a good tank, and I feel he will pair really well with XFDP.  Colossus will tank and XFDP will give free damage.  If XFDP makes a match he won’t take much match damage.  
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Well he is viewable in game now with the rewards for his intro event. It looks like he got a SLIGHT buff. His Blue costs 9 instead of 10. Still not a great power but at least its only 3 matches and not 4.

EDIT:
    Looks like his listed HP value is also different in game. Post says 18821 but in game is listed as 20390 (at 255)
  • TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    When is the last time we got a 5 star with only 3 total powers including actives and passives?  Maybe they could've improved blue with a passive
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the next 5* has red and green power match damage,  the rainbow meta match damage will be completed.
    Right now this meta is viable with cyclops and AW.
    This is a new meta that cannot be overlooked.
    But yes okoye is unable to put in the spoon here.
  • AchillesPinky
    AchillesPinky Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    These new five stars seem to be so underwhelming, by the META standards, that I think the Phoenix Five will have some team mechanics involved to boost their powers the more members you have on your team.  I could see an added power in some form of the Phoenix or whatever (maybe amount of AP gathered)?
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    edited March 2021
    Hi Everyone - The team noticed a typo and we updated the blue power from 10 AP cost to 9 AP cost.

Also thank you for one for the one forum member that called out the health number we had listed wasn't accurate.  We just updated that as well.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    These new five stars seem to be so underwhelming, by the META standards, that I think the Phoenix Five will have some team mechanics involved to boost their powers the more members you have on your team.  I could see an added power in some form of the Phoenix or whatever (maybe amount of AP gathered)?
    Cyclops boosts teammates' match damages with his yellow, Colossus has increased match damage with his passive yellow.
    I'd like to know how those two powers interact.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Further reading shows he could be the best 5* for transitioners since OML was released.  I think PVP in mid SCLs might become full of Yellow 5Col.  Could be wrong, but his yellow passive seems great for younger teams trying to establish.