***** Colossus (Phoenix Five) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited April 2021 in Character Details
Colossus-NC-1200x628-noctapng
Colossus (Phoenix Five)
5-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Heroes, X-Men, Mutants

"When five X-Men each gained a portion of the Phoenix Force, they decided to improve the world for both humans and Mutants. As Colossus used his new cosmic gifts to end war and hunger, he began to question the cost of such power and if anyone could be trusted to wield it." 
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
20390 Health / 81955 Health
 236 | 28 | 184 | 26 | 31 | 210 | 117 | 3.5x
 945 | 111 | 735 | 102 | 120 | 840 | 467 | 3.5x
Preservation -  Passive
(PASSIVE) Colossus protects the land and shields others from harm. Colossus's match damage is increased by 70% and Colossus's allies take 46% less match damage.
  • Level 2: Match damage increased by 77% and allies take 51% less match damage
  • Level 3: Match damage increased by 84% and allies take 55% less match damage
  • Level 4: Match damage increased by 98% and allies take 64% less match damage
  • Level 5: Match damage increased by 126% and allies take 83% less match damage
Purification - 6  AP
Your actions may spark resistance, but sacrifice is needed to make a better world. Colossus deals 2109 damage and creates 2 strength 78 enemy Strike tiles. If Colossus is already in front, also deal an additional 1406 damage. (Max level 8477 / 5651 damage, strength 315 Strike tiles)

• Level 2: Colossus deals 2241 damage an additional 1494 damage if already in front. (Max level 9010 / 6006 damage)
  • Level 3: Colossus deals 2374 damage an additional 1583 damage if already in front. (Max level 9542 / 6361 damage)
  • Level 4: Colossus deals 2541 damage an additional 1694 damage if already in front. Enemy Strike tiles created are strength 68. (Max level 10213 / 6808 damage, strength 276 Strike tiles)
  • Level 5: Colossus deals 2875 damage an additional 1916 damage if already in front. Enemy Strike tiles created are strength 49. (Max level 11555 / 7703 damage, strength 197 Strike tiles)
Neutralization - 9  AP
Colossus uses the Phoenix Force to disarm and punish his opponents. Removes a chosen enemy special tile and deals 317 damage. (Max level 1273 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 423 damage. (Max level 1697 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 634 damage. (Max level 2546 damage)
  • Level 4: Also removes up to 1 other enemy special tile.
  • Level 5: Deals 951 damage. (Max level 3819 damage)

Release Events:

Stalwart Colossus Cover Store - March 11-21

• Chance to get Colossus (Phoenix Five). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Piotr Rasputin Limited Vault - March 18-22

• 40 Items

• 1x Ashes To Ashes Legendary Store Token

• 1x 4-Star Scorpion (Classic) cover

• 3x Random 3-Star covers

• 6x Heroic tokens

• 4x 2500 Iso

• 6x 1000 Iso

• 5x 500 Iso

• 14x Two stars

Ashes to Ashes Legendary Store - March 18-22

• 15% chance to get Colossus (Phoenix Five), Apocalypse (Classic), Archangel (Classic)

• Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Release Debut:

The Hunt - March 11-15

• Colossus (Phoenix Five) In placement rewards

Introducing… Colossus - March 11-18

• Colossus (Phoenix Five) Shards

Featured Event:

Operation Spider Silk - March 14-19

• Colossus (Phoenix Five) as a progression reward

Versus Tournaments:

Hooked on a Feeling (Star-Lord (Peter Quill)) - March 11-15

• Yellowjacket (Darren Cross) as a placement reward

Chrome Dome - March 14-17

• Colossus (Phoenix) as a progression reward

• Rewards tokens to the Stalwart Colossus cover store

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Looks promising. That match damage protector will pair well with ProfX5* to stop Gritty type teams... 

The blue and black damage seem too low though - any clues as to why? Synergy with someone else? Or do they just feel he is too powerful overall? 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,901 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Easy 5/5/3 since his Blue is very meh (10 cost for minor damage and removal of just 1 selected special tile. Hopefully it removes the tile completely for a chance at board shake). He at least has a ton of health since he will be in front a lot and it doesn't seem like his damage resistance will apply to himself (boo).
    He may be handy against Gritty teams but he does nothing against iHulk and thus will be considered a DOA release.
    Back-2-Back Phoenix 5 releases at the 5* level sure seems like we will be getting 3 more of them next.
    KGB
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    KGB said:
    Easy 5/5/3 since his Blue is very meh (10 cost for minor damage and removal of just 1 selected special tile. Hopefully it removes the tile completely for a chance at board shake). He at least has a ton of health since he will be in front a lot and it doesn't seem like his damage resistance will apply to himself (boo).
    He may be handy against Gritty teams but he does nothing against iHulk and thus will be considered a DOA release.
    Back-2-Back Phoenix 5 releases at the 5* level sure seems like we will be getting 3 more of them next.
    KGB
    Good point re iHulk, KGB. I suppose he will remove the match damage increases that iHulk gets, but not much more. 

In regards to the remainder of the Phoenix five, I too sense that we will get 3 more. It's always nice to have a complete set, but if they continue to churn out mediocre characters overall, it's even nicer to be able to hoard for 5 full characters ... just looking at silver linings :D
  • Coolguy101084
    Coolguy101084 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Nice to have an addition to the Phoenix five. Perfect time to try and hit another big hoard
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    If his yellow protected allies from power damage or even just specifically AOE damage, it would have been a great counter to the hulkoye meta. A big tank with a cheap nuke that would have weakened AOE is exactly what the meta needed right now. He was so close....

As a match damage protector I don't see how he'll be that useful against Gritty (unless you keep him underleveled on purpose) because he's probably going to tank 4 or 5 color matches and eat that full striked up match damage himself, as his yellow does not appear to protect himself.

In PVP defense I could see him being annoying with a Match4 bro or Killmonger in pick 2, and extremely annoying in pick 3 since his damage boost is active turn 1 with no prerequisites.  Even against BRBitty or BRolaris you could get hit hard by a bad early turn before your protects nullify him.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Theghouse said:
    If his yellow protected allies from power damage or even just specifically AOE damage, it would have been a great counter to the hulkoye meta. A big tank with a cheap nuke that would have weakened AOE is exactly what the meta needed right now. He was so close....

Maybe Phoenix Force Emma, Namor, or Magik get that passive. Then you have Colossus minimizing damage, the third minimizing aoe, and scott pumping his friends already boosted match damage. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder why no Phoenix Five synergy powers here to bring him and Sighclops up a bit? Feels like being a Mutant and X-Man continue to be the only affiliations that really matter mechanically. 

I'm curious if his match-damage power will reduce incoming Juggernaut damage or not. Not that Juggernauts are problematic for me, it's more just a curiosity about it.

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    It’d be cool also if they add a team affiliation and one of the later members has a passive that utilizes that.  I’ll be pretty excited to get a 5* Emma and Magik.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Is Colossus enough to get anyone willing to open your stash ?

Especially with Sighclops being in the store when he rotates in. Seems like it's going to be a much longer wait than many of us expected to have another really good pair of 5s in LLs at the same time again. 

Seems like the 5s were getting don't pack the punch expected these days, it's more like 4s being added for variety than a legit 5 that we hope for. Making things worse is some of the really great 4s we've gotten lately, but missing the mark on the 5s by quite a bit.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    A tanky hard to beat character. 
    He already bested AW on increased match damage by 12% on another attempt to develop a match damage meta. Well, that is a HEAVY punch. And at the same time he protects from match damage meta.
    Posibly intended he shares 2 colors with AW and hence not the best pairing.
    Really cheap black, I hope his strikes dont happen to appear in red because his pal sightclops will ruin them(well in any color he can ruin them).
    As mentioned, blue at level 3, who is going to set it at 5.
    He can fit well in apocalypse and kitty teams,  as always with okoye less sinergy unless set as 3/5/5.
    And his art... he seems more chinese than hulk TA.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I.... do not understand. Is he a meat shield who makes it easier to not have to fire an active to win a match? Is that the point? To do away with active powers once and for all? I kinda thought we were already there with the Hulkoye meta. This feels like an attempt at more of that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You’d think these big match damagers would have some ability to create cascades
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3 without a doubt. His ability went from great to good to meh.

He creates two enemy strike tiles so that he can fire his blue power. The good thing it can remove repeater, CD and invisible tiles. Great for protecting single 5* champed players with his damage reduction. He could be irritating with Rogue.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps next 5* will be another Phoenix who penalizes special tiles and the pack will be complete. 
    Thinking it better, he can pair well with AW as they leave only red for to cover. And he will be always in front as AW can lose his bonus match.
    And with cyclops, Killmonger or karnak, the match damage killing team. 
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Tiger_Wong said:
    Champed AW. Running him with Rogue/Okoye and hunting Onslaughts. 
    Why?

1) Rogue is an anti-Onslaught
    2) Onslaught’s strongest color is purple which means.....
    3) when Rogue does Gloves Off on Onslaught, you get triple the match damage on purple matches. 

The damage on those matches are bananas. How bananas? Well, my AW is at level 451.....

Condition 1: Gloves Off on purple
    Condition 2: AW’s health over 50%
    Condition 3: AW’s yellow power at 5

a match 3 of purple does 14877. 

Damn. 

Quoting from the Adam Warlock Thread to expand on HoundOfShadow's comment. Colossus has even higher match damage, doesn't turn off at low hp,  and would further reduce damage Rogue is taking. There could be something fun here. Crazy match damage and take no damage from green, red, and yellow matches.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    This is definitely a 5/5/3 build. Not great, but not bad. I think I see something, but will hold on to my opinion for future releases of the Phoenix Five. I sincerely hope my gut feeling is right, though.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with others he is a 5,5,3.  I actually like his yellow for the reduced match damage.  When you look at challenge nodes 83% reduced match damage is a lot. He could really open up a lot of other teams in the challenge node.  So many times when facing a 5* in the challenge node the match damage is just too much to bring a non stunning team.

is he great no.  I do think he can help in some challenge nodes though.

his black isn’t bad but it isn’t Apocalypse black or even Doom.

his blue is bad.  10 AP to remove 2 enemy special tiles and do 8k damage??  Just bad.
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Man...if his yellow protected in Quake-like fashion, he'd be amazing. 

So close, devs! 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Colossus' Yellow seems counter-intuitive. At 5 covers, Colossus will be tanking all three of his own colours, and likely one or two of his off-colours. A lot of meta 5* use Yellow and/or Black. How are his teammates supposed to maximise the benefit of taking reduced match damage? For instance, if using him with Okoye or Apocalypse, Colossus will tank everything except Red. Unless you run him with PhoenixJean or Yelena. Or a teammate with a jump-in-front mechanic, like Bishop Worthy the aforementioned Rogue. This skill should really have reduced ability damage done to teammates instead.

I can see some synergy with Sighclops. Colossus' Black creates enemy Strikes, which Cyclops converts to Red using his Green. They also don't have any active clashing colours (except for Sighclops' Black, which requires Colossus and the other teammate to be downed or inactive), and Sighclops can keep boosting Colossus' match damage. Back them up with either Prof or Onslaught for cascade craziness.

A good partner (thanks Reddit) could be Heimdall. Fortify Black tiles and Colossus goes to town, dealing 19k damage for 3 AP.