Daredevil217's 5* Character Ranking and Analysis (Updated 2/14/2021)

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to use Cable a lot when he was newer. But since he’s a “Jack of all trades” guy,  it feels like enough time has passed that everything he does is done better by others. So he’s mostly just one to break out for fun. His green and blue powers have pretty glaring flaws (that I talk about in his write up, and his active yellow, while fine, just places strikes. So it’s not a very cool or unique power. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to be "that guy" but from Apocalypses entry:

"Much like Okoye’s yellow, Apocalypse’s pairs well with multi-hit teammates. "

That should be "Much like Okoyes black" right?
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Did we ever find any good uses for Cable? I finally got him champed last night.
    Besides Gambit, 5torm is a good partner. If Cable has his Blue countdown out, 5torm can use her Yellow to proc it, creating Green charged tiles and getting the stun. 5tarlord (to a lesser extent) can also trigger it

For thematic flavour, Deadpool. Cable can also fortify Deadpool's Red countdown. Those two with Prof X have perfect coverage

I guess if you want to use double Josh Brolin, Cable can fortify both of Thanos' countdowns?
    He won't be able to fortify Thanos' purple countdown.
  • Daredevil217
    Anon said:
    Not to be "that guy" but from Apocalypses entry:

"Much like Okoye’s yellow, Apocalypse’s pairs well with multi-hit teammates. "

That should be "Much like Okoyes black" right?
    Good catch! Edited. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I've been mulling this over and I might be wrong, but isn't Thor at #2 kind of high?

Here's my reasoning: The meta now values either massive AOE damage (Hulkoye), or special tile spam (BRBitty). Thor needs basic tiles to do his stuff (which BRBitty plugs up), whereas Hulkoye outright counters him.

I know that he's still a threat with Apocalypse and Okoye, but I feel like Thor isn't quite the heavyweight he once was. Yeah, the passive ap generation is still wonderful, and I still use him all the time, but I feel like 2nd best 5* in the game is...i don't know... maybe undeserved?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say Thor is still way up in the top for being an essential fuel source for nearly every other "good" 5* character, so it just depends on how highly you value the handle end of your weapon compared to the edge. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    About Magneto and Cable......

they work well together with Kitty. On turn 1/2 they’re better vs most SCL 10 nodes in pve when Kitty has Lockhart. Green goblin’s repeater fortifier is better than cable’s. You’ll get no argument about that from me. But cable’s xmen affiliation puts those shields on -1 match damage from turn 1, no matter how how high the level. Green goblins match 4 of black does nuke damage at lvl 650. It becomes -1 on turn 2 with a single buff from kitty. 

This team gets better the longer the match goes. It’s not a fast team. But it will outlast every gorilla node in pve that doesn’t have havok or apocalypse (or any other character that rips through shields). 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Kitty/Magneto/BRB is my new iron fortress team on challenge nodes. Depending on if/how fast you get Magneto's red out on the board will determine how long the match is going to run, but I was able to beat the Carbage challenge node with it 4x clears on Sub 1 of Infinite Pursuit SCL10 without a whole lot of trouble.. Enemy of They Enemy, starring Devastator/Carbage/Horror.

I've just champed Yellowjacket, i'm 1 cover away from Warlock. I'm curious if anyone has a killer team for him yet.
  • Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Where would Adam Warlock, Yellowjacket, Sighclops and Colossus be in this tier list exactly. I feel that both Yellowjacket and Adam will be pretty high and I believe Sighclops will be very low but Colossus with my experience is a decent tank with a high damaging black. Also how regularly does this tier list update.     
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Usually it gets updated after Daredevil gets them champed, and I'm not sure what his pull habits are on characters coming and going from latest. For my part, I'm pretty meh on Warlock but my opinion on Yellowjacket has really gone up. He slaps when you can get him invisible.
  • Daredevil217
    edited April 2021
    I really need to update this, I know. I just accepted a new job on the other side of the country, so you know how it is when you’re finishing up at one place, while also trying to prepare to transition to the next. Busy busy. 

But yeah. Cyke is awful. Bottom 10 IMO. People are overhyping that yellow. 

I agree with RW on both Adam and Jacket. YJ plays pretty much exactly as I predicted in my write up. Great health pack saver. And honestly fun. Jacket is in the Doom/Daredevil tier. 
    Warlock slightly lower in the Strange/Deadpool/Yelena tier. He’s okay as a tank for others during climbs with 5 purple/yellow, but then he’s not doing much damage. With 5 black he does some damage, but you need to chase the heals or eat packs. He’s good with Hulkoye though. Killer in PVE when you have those three humming. 

Colossus, I’m super high on tentatively. Mine has one black cover right now and I’ve only used him with Apoc, so haven’t even fired that one power. But while not “fun” or unique (pretty straightforward kit) he will be a pain with the match damage bump, protecting support characters, and cheap nuke. I could see him cracking too 10 or just outside it. 

Wanda just outside T5-6 with room to climb based on how she shapes the landscape of PvP. 
  • Davidk777
    Davidk777 Posts: 76 Match Maker
    edited April 2021
    Im really enjoying Cyclops as a 3rd with onslaught and Xavier, but that's just me. As far as yj goes he's a little beast.  I chase Billy Ray bill and Kitty pryde teams with him.

I'm also little disappointed with Adam Warlock. He doesn't hit hard enough, but can be fun from going near death to full health in 1 move. If you use he's yellow follow by his trap tiles. But I rather have colossus health and match damage 100 percent of the time, with that quick nuke.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I haven't found a dead reliable team for Yellowjacket on any challenge node, but if there are no AOE attacks on the opponent team you can definitely take him invisible and solo one of those nodes. I prefer him for that to Vulture/iHulk since he has a true heal on top of his damage reduction. 
  • Daredevil217
    I haven't found a dead reliable team for Yellowjacket on any challenge node, but if there are no AOE attacks on the opponent team you can definitely take him invisible and solo one of those nodes. I prefer him for that to Vulture/iHulk since he has a true heal on top of his damage reduction. 
    I like Okoye. Basically, with YJ invisible, Okoye is always in front when YJ tanks. So Jacket gets the increased damage for being in front on matches but Okoye doesn’t lose her TU AP since she’s in front (and can heal) on defense. I’m guessing Thor is the obvious third in this equation. You can use an Okoye boosted green AOE or an Okoye boosted green double tap to a single target that’s a nuisance. Great versatility.  I’d say he can work as a third for Hulkoye (outlets on three unique colors) but Hulk tanking green from the beginning would hurt the invisibility. Plus you’d have to choose chasing invisibility or teamups, whereas with Thorkoye you can passively collect yellow for teamups while actively chasing Darren’s colors to stay hidden. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my opinion AW should be a little higher than YJ. I like them both, but adding crits to the board makes AW just melt the other team. His heal is true heal both ways you use it and quite reliable for me as well. He gets regular rotation, while I only pull YJ out for fun.

My Sighclops is champed and I can’t be bothered to use him at all. 

Colossus at 9 covers and boosted feels like he will be quite good. I think he will be more useful than all the previously mentioned toons. 

Summary for my roster and play style:

1. Colossus and AW - somewhere just above JJ.

2. YJ -  Hela territory

3. Sighclops - Garbage, bottom tier with the never use them camp.
  • Daredevil217
    I was going to type “Adam doesn’t add crits to the board” but then realized that you meant pairing him with a crit maker. 

My issue with Adam is:
    1) Hulk does the AOE thing better (takes less to trigger and you have to kill him last). 
    2) Colossus does the match damage thing better (has a higher base match damage, does a higher boost, and he doesn’t lose his boost when damaged). 
    At least YJ is unique in what he does rather than a less good version of what others do. 
  • Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Adam is my only champed 5 star at the moment so from alot of play tyme of him. I think his match damage mechanic isn't that good but it does make sense that he cam heal. His purple is very good even they match one. It's around like 7.5k to 8k per trap. I think him and colossus are the same cause colossus blue is literally worthless most of the tyme. Also I think yellowjacket is above both of them cause of how he plays. Also Adam does count IHulk in a way cause of his black. I agree Sighclops is a abomination of a character. His only good ability is his black which requires both characters to die already and that rarely happens.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to refute all the vitriol for Sighclops. I know he's underwhelming: his Red is nonsense for a 5* ability released in 2021, and his Green is a tad too expensive. But as I (and I believe others) have mentioned that he's great with Profslaught. My Scott is 1/4/2, lv 340 (boosted to lv450 in Honour Among Thieves) and he's wrecking solid waste with Profslaught. He'd also make a decent partner with Colossus and Wanda, and helps anyone who benefits from tanking, like Yellowjacket, Heimdall, Doom, Adam, Jean. I would rank him above Mehneto; at least Sighclops doesn't make himself useless for 2 or 3 turns.

Plus I'm probably late to the party in discovering his Green converts any special tile, not just enemy Strikes and/or Protects. I used it against the symbiotes, and it converted their countdown tiles into basic Red tiles. Not sure if it will convert your own special tiles as well though.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    My Sighclops is 1/1/3 and he still wrecks with Profslaught. I can confirm he overwrites friendly specials on red, he did it to some of his own repeaters in a match I was in. I like to use X’s purple to add yellow to the board for Scott to use. I will say also that for how much red and green cost, I am comfortably able to fire them off regularly with that team.
This discussion has been closed.