Release Notes 4.8 *UPDATE 02/24/21

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
(*Important note: Anything listed below is subject to change before release. We will try to update any changes in a timely manner, but please keep in mind the info below is not guaranteed.)

What’s New

New Collection: Kaldheim, has arrived!
Heavy battles are going to take place in Kaldheim.
Get your hands on over 240 new cards, 5 new Planeswalkers, 2 new events, and more! Now in Magic: Puzzle Quest!
  • New Mechanics

Boast

• Boast is the Magic:PQ version of the Boast ability, which allows players to pay an additional mana cost when a creature with Boast attacks, to trigger a second effect. 

• In Magic:PQ, when a creature with Boast attacks, that creature’s owner may drain mana from their hand at the next turn to activate the Boast ability.

Foretell

• Foretell is an evergreen that allows players to exile a card from their hand, to later cast it from the exile for an alternate cost.

• In Magic:PQ, when a card with Foretell is exiled, a Foretold token support related to the exiled card is created on the board.

• When this support is destroyed, the exiled card will return to its owner’s hand with full mana, with a new icon ability named Foretold, which grants to some cards to trigger additional effects.

Foretell               Foretold

Changeling

• In Magic:PQChangeling is an icon ability that gives a creature every creature subtype.

Snow

• Snow is a gem-based mechanic that works by creating synergy between cards with the Snow ability and the special Snow Gems.

• Snow Gem is a special gem that can give some extra mana to cards with the Snow evergreen. Also, some cards gain additional effects if cast with “snow mana”.

Herald

• Herald is an adaptation for double-sided cards with God creatures at one of these sides.

• When a card with Herald enters play, their first cast will always display the non-god side. That card can’t be reinforced, and when cast a second time, if the player still controls the non-God side, the new version will enter the battlefield as the God.

• New Planeswalker:

Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor

"Tibalt should have been executed or jailed for life. Instead, he invoked a potent and hateful spell, from the devil's utterances and his own grim discoveries. The spell fused his own essence with theirs, at the cost of experiencing all the pain he had inflicted on others.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Red Devil

(Red) Creature (1/1) Token

"When this creature dies, the opponent’s first creature takes damage equal to this creature’s Power."

Demon Berserker

(Red) Creature - Demon Berserker (2/3) Token

"As long as there is an opposing creature that was dealt damage: This creature gains Berserker."

Impostor’s Trickery

(Black, Red) Support Card - Emblem (4) Token

"While on the board: Your token creatures and your copy creatures gain Haste.

When an opposing nontoken creature or Artifact support is exiled from anywhere: Create a copy of that card into play under your control. That card gains Enchanted - At the end of your turn: Destroy this card."

Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor

(Black, Red) Support Card - Vanguard Tibalt (5) Legendary, Herald, Vanguard

“Passive Ability: Herald 8: Valki, God of Lies. When you cast this card: You may exile it. Then, create a copy of this card under your opponent’s control.

Passive Ability: When you activate a Loyalty ability: Exile the first card without mana from your hand.

Passive Ability: When your first creature attacks: It gets +4/+0 until end of turn. Then, deal X damage to your Planeswalker. X is that creature’s power.”

(See Planeswalker Progression HERE)

Tyvar Kell

"Tyvar is King Harald's younger brother, and he's lived most of his life in his brother's shadow. However, while a famous brother might inspire jealousy or resentment in some, Harald's example inspires Tyvar to seek glory and fuels an irrational confidence that he can accomplish almost anything he puts his mind to.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Whispers of the Einir

(Black, Green) Support Card - Emblem (3) Token

"When an Elf card enters into play under your control: Convert a gem to Green.

When an Elf creature you control dies: Convert a gem to Black.

Each of these effects can trigger up to 4 time(s) per turn."

Elf Warrior

(Green) Creature - Elf Warrior (1/1) Token

Kaya the Inexorable

"Kaya is a firm believer that life is for the living. The living should make the most of their lives and pursue what they want while they've still got time, and find their own peace before death. If you die with unfinished business, well, that's probably your fault. And if it's not...perhaps she could help you...for a price.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Omens of the End

(White, Black) Support Card - Emblem (4) Token

"When you cast your second card each turn: The first card in your hand that gain mana gains full mana. Then, if you control a Legendary card, repeat this effect."

White and Black Spirit

(White, Black) Creature - Spirit (1/1) Token, Flying

Niko Aris

"Early in Niko's life, an oracle foresaw a great future for Niko: they were destined to be a great athlete, an undefeated javelineer who would never miss a shot. Niko trained and competed for many years, but in all that time, they heard stories and songs of heroes who would fight to protect people and began to question the destiny prescribed to them.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Shards of Reality

(White, Blue) Support Card - Emblem Shard (3) Token

"When a support is destroyed from play: Draw a card. It gains X mana. X is the number of this support’s reinforcements."

Serra the Benevolent

"A human Planeswalker from the distant past, Serra was a powerful and benevolent healer. She created an artificial plane known as Serra's Realm, where she and her followers lived in peace defended by flights of angels. Though Serra and her realm are long gone, her legacy and teachings have lived on as a beacon of hope throughout the Multiverse.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Vigilant Angel

(White) Creature - Angel Warrior (4/4) Token, Flying, Vigilance

Angelic Renewal

(White) Support Card - Emblem (4) Token

“When a nontoken creature you control dies: You may exile it.

When a creature card is exiled from your graveyard: Create a Vigilant Angel token.

When you Foretell a card from your hand: Create a Vigilant Angel token.”

Radiant, Serra Archangel

(White) Creature - Angel (6/4) Token, Legendary, Flying, Leader

"Leader: Angel

When an Angel creature you control attacks: This creature gets +2/+2 and gains Protection from your opponent’s Planeswalker colors until the beginning of your next turn.”

• New Event: 

• Doomskar Claimants 

• PvP, Coalition

• Rank Rewards, Progression Rewards, and Coalition Rewards

• No Entrance Fee

• Standard

• All Planeswalkers’ colors are allowed.

• 3 Nodes

• All nodes are unlocked from the beginning.

• Recharge Time: 8h

• Initial Charges (per node): 1 | Max Charges (per node): 4

• Duration: 46h

• Skoti Bloodline 

• PvP

• Rank Rewards and Progression Rewards

• Entrance Fee: 20 Mana Crystals

• Standard

• Only monocolored Planeswalkers, of any color, are allowed.

• 3 Nodes

• All nodes are unlocked from the beginning.

• Recharge Time: 6h

• Initial Charges (per node): 1 | Max Charges (per node): 4

• Duration: 46h

• Changes

Card Changes

• The Peer into the Abyss card’s effect was changed to a new version that doesn't create restrictions between the first effect and the later ones. Therefore, the "then" was removed. From:

“Target player draws 6 cards. Then, that player gains 30 Loyalty and loses half their life, rounded up.”

TO

“Target player that can draw cards draws 6 cards. That player gains 30 Loyalty and loses half their life, rounded up.”

• The following tokens gained specific subtypes due to the needs of the KHM set.

• Vigilant Angel

• Vigilant Angel token now gained the Warrior subtype in addition to their own.

• Human Soldier

• Human Soldier token now gained the Warrior subtype in addition to their own.

• Gold

• The Gold token shield is now 1;

• The Gold token now gained Can't be Reinforced;

• The Gold token now gained the Treasure subtype in addition to their own.

• Dwarf

• The Dwarf token now gained the Berserker subtype in addition to its subtypes;

• The Dwarf token now is 2/1 instead of 1/1.,

• Dwarven Bloodboiler’s Dwarf ability number changed to give +3/+0 instead of +2/+0. The creature also gained Haste so now it has both Haste and Bravery.
  • Dwarven Mine is now spawning 2 Dwarf tokens instead of 3 with its ability.
  • The Kaervek, the Spiteful card description, and behavior changed due to unintended interactions and loops. From:

“While on the battlefield: Other creatures get -2/-2. When another creature is reinforced: That creature gets -3/-3. 

Morbid — At the end of your turn: Gain 3 Loyalty."

TO

“At the beginning of each player's turn: Other creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. When another creature is reinforced: That creature gets -3/-3. This effect can trigger up to 3 time(s) per turn. 

Morbid — At the end of your turn: Gain 3 Loyalty.”

Other Changes

• The text for the Adamant and Identity objectives was reverted to correspond to the current behavior, which is the correct one. 

• Adamant

“Match {0} or more {Color} gems with swaps during a single fight.”

TO

“Match {0} or more {Color} gems during a single fight.”

• Identity

“Match {0} or more gems of your Planeswalker colors with swaps during a single fight.”

TO

“Match {0} or more gems of your Planeswalker colors during a single fight.”

• Changed the description of the Assault objective to correspond to the current behavior. Assault will continue to count Double Strike twice towards the objective. From:

“Attack {0} or more times during a single turn.”
TO
Deal combat damage {0} or more times during a single fight.”
  • Within the Kicker tutorial, a card from the player's deck was changed. The Stormchaser Mage (OGW) card entered the deck replacing the Expedition Diviner (ZNR) card.

Fixes

• Fixed some minor text issues.

• Fixed an issue where tokens would lock the game when reinforced on multiple different occasions.

• Fixed an issue where Celestial Ancient was being triggered with the opponent’s Enchantments.

• Fixed an issue where the Zaxara, the Exemplary tokens would not get the buff when created.

• Fixed the issue regarding the card cost not being reduced by Mana Wheel effect in the Colors of Magic event.

• Fixed an issue in the interaction between Liliana, Death's Majesty’s Anoint ability and Kaya, Orzhov Usurper’s Burial Rites ability.

• Fixed an issue where the prompt box would have the wrong title in Crush of Tentacles.

• Fixed an issue with the infinity loading happening sometimes when claiming the Daily Reward.

• Fixed an issue where a creature that gained the Elemental subtype from Crawling Barrens, would not lose the subtype when destroyed or exiled.

• Fixed an issue where the opponent’s Bronzehide Lion would give the Enchanted evergreen to the player’s creature.

Card Gallery

Kaldheim (KHM)
Check the card gallery:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(02/23/21) *Added Card Gallery in 3 parts.

Comments

• Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Yes!
    Now, I sincerely hope this made your day ;-)
  • Muhhh
    Muhhh Posts: 66 Match Maker
    After submitting a ticket or two about this issue I was informed that the token issue would be fixed in 4.8. Any clarification around this critical problem? 
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Kaervek was one of my favorite standard creatures but they are about to beat him with the nerf stick. But new stuff yay!
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Planeswalker abilities are getting wordier and more convoluted, you don't even know if they are good or bad... Tibalt's ult didn't even fit into the picture.
    So, Boast is a mix of Raid and Kicker?
    I'm a bit confused why Foretell is an Evergreen, it's more of an activated ability imo.
    It's been a while since we had a new PvE event.
    And Kaervek's nerf is sad.
    "behavior changed due to unintended interactions and loops" - are loops ever intended? Finding loops and fun interactions makes a card a fun one.
    EDIT: When do we get to see the rest of the card gallery?
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Asylamb said:
    I'm a bit confused why Foretell is an Evergreen, it's more of an activated ability imo.
    When mtgpq says "evergreen" it means nothing more and nothing less than "icon ability", i.e. any ability with an icon. 

The closest equivalent to what paper mtg means by "evergreen" in mtgpq is "basic evergreen".
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    If Evergreen = Icon ability, then why Foretell is Evergreen (while being an ability that you choose to/not to activate), Changeling - an Icon ability, but not Evergreen (while being a creature type "all") and Snow - also an Evergreen, but a mechanic (while being an additional mana type compared to Devoid gems)?
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    I would think that Changeling will be treated as an mtgpq evergreen by any effect which works on evergreens (e.g. "target creature loses all its evergreen abilities", because that's how every other icon ability is treated.  I don't think there's any significance to their different description here, but I'm happy to see an official explanation if that isn't the case!
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Some quick thoughts on a VERY quick read through:

Positives:
     - Some cool new mechanics, I'm intrigued by Foretell especially
     - Changeling - I can think of loads of ways to use this, especially towards Party objectives. No cards with this ability I could see in the gallery, so I hope the ones they've made are any good.

Jury's Out:
     - Snow gems. It's already near impossible to read the board in some matches with so many different gem types. Fingers crossed they've got a decent animation for snow gems.

Negatives:
     - Another pay-to-enter event? Enough already. Especially one with only one node charge per 6 hours, so potentially you lose the first match and are locked out. The other new event is also one node charge up front and an even longer 8hr wait. And yes @Asylamb, I'd like to see a new PvE event too.
     - The PWs look a bit meh, or possibly I just glazed over trying to read through them all. I play this game for fun but find myself with a ton of homework. I'm sure this is getting worse with each new set. I love that there are loads more Sagas, but again all the reading.
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    I have a question after reading the Herald ability (or is it an evergreen?). It reads:

Herald

• Herald is an adaptation for double-sided cards with God creatures at one of these sides.

• When a card with Herald enters play, their first cast will always display the non-god side. That card can’t be reinforced, and when cast a second time, if the player still controls the non-God side, the new version will enter the battlefield as the God.

If I cast the same card a second time and I already control the non-god side the new version enters the battlefield as a God. Do I lose the non-god side? Do they meld? Or do I simply have both on the battlefield at the same time?

If the latter, what happens if I already have the non-god and the god side on the battlefield and I cast it for a third time?
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    skoti bloodline : recharge Time 6 hours ... 

"Houston...we have a problem"
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    The planeswalkers look fun! 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Asylamb said:

"behavior changed due to unintended interactions and loops" - are loops ever intended? Finding loops and fun interactions makes a card a fun one.

I love Kaervek but can attest personally that his ability was one of the few that got around the 2 minute stop timer. If you were looping with him killing off a reviving token, the action was infinite. you can chose stop but it would resume right after and continue killing the reviving token. In short you were forced to quit the match and take a loss.
  • Tutaha
    Tutaha Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Really liked Serra! I was hoping for an angel Planeswalker that also creates angel tokens. Legion Angel is going to be great. Also, her mana bonuses are amazing!

I searched for her backstory and it's so sad :O such a powerful Planeswalker died of grief
  • Tutaha
    Do we have a date for this update in mind?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gunmix25 said:
    Asylamb said:

I love Kaervek but can attest personally that his ability was one of the few that got around the 2 minute stop timer. If you were looping with him killing off a reviving token, the action was infinite. you can chose stop but it would resume right after and continue killing the reviving token. In short you were forced to quit the match and take a loss.

I don't use Kaervek, so I don't have a horse in this race, but if this is the case it sounds like the better course of action would be to fix the loop timer.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    Asylamb said:

I don't use Kaervek, so I don't have a horse in this race, but if this is the case it sounds like the better course of action would be to fix the loop timer.
    I suggested that they change the timer to "end all actions" ... but was explained that on the next turn the problem would still recur the second that "end all actions" cleared and that annoying reviving token or creature would start dying and reappearing all over again until the next "end all actions" occurred. basically the order of the resolvement was the issue and that is what they fixed; that and installed a definite 3 effect per turn stop on Kaervek (not crazy about this personally) but time will tell whether or not that change will make Kaervek useless or still viable for competitive play.

I still think the loop timer still needs some tweaks regardless apart from the interaction with Kaervek + reviving creature effects.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards

Hi guys,

I reported all of the main points and doubts here on today's Community report.
    I also asked the team to get us some answers about what's been discussed here!
    I added the Planeswalkers progressions and the Doomskar Claimants event details.
    It's missing the other event's details, I'll be posting it tomorrow.

Thank you for all the feedback,
    Marcela.
  • Tutaha
    edited February 2021
    It would he nice to give serra in the second or first skill foretell to a card in hand, just to avoid the third skill lose its value in the future if the foretell mechanic not be printed in newer cards anymore.

Maybe: if this card is fortold your first creature/angel gets +1/+1