***** Cyclops (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I just tested 5Cy / 5ProfX / 4*Juggernaut. I focused on getting as much yellow as possible by using Prof X to target yellow and create more yellow tiles. After firing Cy's yellow 4 times, Prof X and Juggernaut tanked on all but yellow. I was hoping for them to tank on all colors. It works, but it is also still very slow. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is terrible. Once again, and I’m not trying to pick things apart here, the artwork is bad as well. It is too “anime” and doesn’t mesh well with the game IMHO. In a vacuum it isn’t bad, but looking at original artwork as well as previous releases in the game it seems a bit weak. 

That said, the artwork is an improvement over other releases I have criticized. Being largely subjective I’m sure some folks love it.

I am a collect them all kind of guy and between the grind and how bad he is I’m actually considering hoarding for the first time in three and half years. Having a champed Wa5p and soon to be Fatpin is enough wasted resources.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    jp1 said:
    He is terrible. Once again, and I’m not trying to pick things apart here, the artwork is bad as well. It is too “anime” and doesn’t mesh well with the game IMHO. In a vacuum it isn’t bad, but looking at original artwork as well as previous releases in the game it seems a bit weak. 

That said, the artwork is an improvement over other releases I have criticized. Being largely subjective I’m sure some folks love it.

I am a collect them all kind of guy and between the grind and how bad he is I’m actually considering hoarding for the first time in three and half years. Having a champed Wa5p and soon to be Fatpin is enough wasted resources.
    I like his artwork but I agree it doesn´t fit with the current established visual style. For now I´m putting him together with Heimdall as one of those who´s perfect 5* partner has not been made yet. 
  • Akoni
    jp1 said:

As the artwork goes, I'm guessing they brought in a new artist who probably has more of an anime style. This happens often in games where a new artists comes in, who is really good, but doesn't have the same style as the other artists who have given the game the flavor people are used to. It's like hiring a chef who specializes in Asian cuisine to make Mexican food. They can, but it might be a bit off compared to what you're used to.
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    SourCream said:
    Can he survives long enough to cast any ability against Hulk ?

That's current state of PVP, sadly. 4* not enough health and 5* can't do anything against Hulk.
    Brb/kitty kills any ihulk team. 5* Carnage will stop ihulk green door.
    If you can stun ihulk early it's also possible to take out his team.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Akoni said:
    As the artwork goes, I'm guessing they brought in a new artist who probably has more of an anime style. This happens often in games where a new artists comes in, who is really good, but doesn't have the same style as the other artists who have given the game the flavor people are used to. It's like hiring a chef who specializes in Asian cuisine to make Mexican food. They can, but it might be a bit off compared to what you're used to.
    Good analogy. I like his art, personally, as it resembles what I feel he'd look like as the final boss in one of 1990s Marvel/Capcom fighting games. ^_^  

I used to be a big stickler for design-consistency, but now that this game has been around as many years as it has, It's been fun for me seeing a variety of styles come and go, like the shifting designs in a multiverse of alternate versions.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akoni said:
    Good analogy. I like his art, personally, as it resembles what I feel he'd look like as the final boss in one of 1990s Marvel/Capcom fighting games. ^_^  

I used to be a big stickler for design-consistency, but now that this game has been around as many years as it has, It's been fun for me seeing a variety of styles come and go, like the shifting designs in a multiverse of alternate versions.
    To be 100 percent clear, I think it is leagues better than Negasonic and the like. Just seems pretty simplistic for the general game aesthetics.

I’m not a Scott fan to begin with so it doesn’t help that he is both terrible and sort of a square peg thematically. I appreciate that others like the style though and it is far better than I could ever do. 

I’ve tried to find a reason to keep pulling for him because I would like to finish YJ and that will probably be part of the sacrifice if I skip him. He is just so bad though, yes the kit makes sense with his set of powers but it makes no sense for a current 5* release.

• Akoni
    So I keep going back to test him out over and over again. Ultimately, his powers aren't horrible (not great either). With support characters, he can be decent. His red is awfully slow as green tile removal and AP generation. His yellow makes him ok support on a team. His black is good, but will rarely see the light of day. His green is ok for red tile generation. 

(SLOW+OK+(GOOD*RARE)+OK)/EPIC=BAD

I really want him to be good, but according to the equation, he is not. :(
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Just wanted to give my kudos to the art team. The character art is really awesome stuff!! :) Still on the fence on his skill set but if a buff is on the table, I'm all for it. I would like to see cosmic powered beings feel a bit more cosmic.  B)

It would have been cool to have given 5* Jean Grey an update as well. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Look. I like thematically what they were going with. Cyclops inspires his teammates. Ups their match damage so they are in the front lines tanking for him.  This makes them likely to die first. 

In the P5 storyline, when a member of the Phoenix Five were defeated, the others got stronger. Eventually they all fell except for Scott and he became the fully powered Dark Phoenix.

All of this is well represented in the game mechanics. But just like with Daken, the kit is interesting but the numbers are absolutely awful. Which sucks because you can tell a lot of thought went into making him “feel” like Cyke and do cool things. Sadly Daken, who was a huge disappointment for me, is way better than Cyke here. 
    Looking at my character rankings I’m thinking the only ones I’d rank below him are Banner, Wasp, Stark, Kingpin and Widow. I’m torn as to who is better between Cyke and Ock. That’s awful. 

I also agree with this. 

Cyclops can keep his current power set (mostly) but they really need to tweak some of the numbers. At the very least raise the damage in Red !!! 11k for 9 AP is pathetic.

In one of the nodes I played him with Phoenix just for fun, and oh my, she is much better than him. Even with two powers, she is so much better.... And she was released 4-5 years ago! She was the third 5 !!! Her purple is much much better than his green, and her red is also better than his red. Green is useless but with those two powers she is better than him with 4 :(

Again, please Devs, throw us a bone here and buff him! There are a lot of us who love Cyclops! 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you wanted more negative things...
    Playing on his pvp I fired his green and he overwrited my shared strenght repeater.
    Applauses please! Is what I thought. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    I used him with Profslaught in his PvP, and it was loads of fun even with the 1/1/1 loaner. His Yellow buffs Profslaught's match damage such that they do substantial damage in addition to Prof's Blue and Slotty's Green, and his Green sets up a good number of cascades, especially after Slotty has wiped most or all of the TU tiles from the board. Red was nice to have as an AP outlet. Imagine what a champed Sighclops could be like with Profslaught.

He does need buffs, and even minimal ones like what they did for Archangel would be appreciated. For his Red, simply lower the Repeaters to 2 turns. Heck, I don't think 1 turn would be too broken. For his Green, lower the cost to 8AP. These would make him solid mid-tier, among the likes of Killmonger, Jessica, Carpool et al.
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Phoenix Cyclops is such an awesome character and they've absolutely butchered him. Feelsbadman
  • Akoni

He does need buffs, and even minimal ones like what they did for Archangel would be appreciated. For his Red, simply lower the Repeaters to 2 turns. Heck, I don't think 1 turn would be too broken. For his Green, lower the cost to 8AP. These would make him solid mid-tier, among the likes of Killmonger, Jessica, Carpool et al.
    Unless there are support characters coming for him, these would be great buffs for 5Cy. They would make him more usable than he is now.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey guys what would you think of this:

Cyclops red power:

active: 7AP 15k damage
    passive: when Cyclops makes a red match, if one does not exist, a 1 turn repeater is placed in a random color tile  that destroys one green tile every turn (it does damage and it collects AP).

Green and yellow could remain the same.

This would be a great buff for red, it would make him a very good Hulk counter, and I dont think it is broken good at all (at most if the repeater is not matched it is one extra green AP a turn).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Make the repeater green just to stop the bleeding a bit earlier. I’d have to see it in practice to see how much of a counter it really is. If his yellow was a AOE decrease (ala Quake, except maybe it starts low and costs 7 yellow AP to ramp up the protection) instead of a match damage increase, I think the combo of those powers would do it. 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Make red 7 AP.
    Any active that's more than 6-7 AP feels like too much against iHulk, unless it would change the situation permanently somehow. If it's meant to be fired repeatedly to counter Hulk's passive conditions it needs to be cheap/spammy.

Make repeaters "staggered".
    Again, the repeaters go on red, his green adds red and causes some to  get matched away, but even on their own, 3 turns to wait for something to happen is too long and very very unreliable.

Give something back if a repeater is matched away.
    Generate 1 yellow (red ,green) AP and steal 1 Team-up AP. That might help against Hulkoye and speed things up a little.

I think something like this might work. Not as a hard counter, but make it playable.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    so i have him at 6/4/0 at the moment, and since he's essential it made me realise something that i hadn't thought about.

Cykes Yellow, will cause half thor to do more damage when collecting AP. Whilst this isn't something amazing - it'll add to any other passive damage you've got going.

I had Apoc/half thor/Cyke. I got enough yellow that i had apocs boosts out for the powers, and boosted half thors AP collection damage.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 0/1/1, and he plays pretty well with Onslaught/Profe$$or X actually. Just make sure you collect at least a few Team Up tiles before doing a match-n if you want any board shuffle because Onslaught will clean it out.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    What if we pair him with Wanda and Cable?

All you have to do is use Wandas pink on a yellow tile. And collect yellow, than TuP ap and use cyclops yellow power over and over again.

When you match yellows it will fortify wandas repeater or one of cyclops' from is red power. It's just a shame its only 1 tile fortified per yellow match.