Okoye everywhere

Comments

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:

I do have one question, though...  @tonypq Why do you still play MPQ?  Please do NOT misconstrue this as an attack... this is an honest question, based on your post.  It is worded to sound like you're very bored, and you've played the same thing for far too long.  You mention 7+ years of the same thing, but really, I have 7+ years of different metas, new mechanics, different events, etc.  I'm not here to tell you "you're wrong" or any such commentary.  However, if I ever find myself describing a game like you did, I'm pretty sure I've already uninstalled it.  There's TONS of games out there, and only so much time to enjoy them.
    I guess it's a love hate relationship with MPQ heh. That and it's the only mobile game I really care to play, always been my go to mobile game of choice. Along with a ton of time, effort, and quite a few in game purchases made over the years. I like match 3 games a lot but most out there are super lame compared to MPQ, I also like Marvel and comic stuff of course. Then like many of us there is a certain addiction factor I guess, love cracking open a hoard and seeing what happens. I was a big sports card collector as a child and I think pulling tokens and collecting characters in MPQ is along the same wavelength for me. 

I like the game even with numerous things that are frustrating to me and others. I'd like to see some balance in the game, PVP match making could be better, classics easier to finish, among other things. Back to the topic of Okoye, many want her nerfed and or Ihulk. I'm not hoping for any nerfs, whatever happens, happens. D3 will make their choice on what they feel is best ultimately. The way Okoye and Ihulk are designed they just pair so well together and really cuts down the grind time in PVE and PVP. 

As far as who would potentially get a nerf if it had to come between Okoye and Ihulk is tough. I've just been speculating for sake of this thread and conversation, again I'm not hoping either gets nerfed. Either character on their own are very solid, Okoye pairs well with many characters with her excellent support. Ihulk is very strong certainly, although as I said in a previous post I think I'd have more fun using him as a character that can boost his match damage high and hit hard with his red. Rather thank simply trying to pair him with Okoye or for some Apoc as main options to boost Hulks passive damage. If they had to nerf Ihulk passive damage, I would hope they would significantly tone down his team damage upon revival. It would be fun to have him revive a few times, deal high match damage but not also decimate your own team so much. 

Other options, they could make Hulks passive not get a boost from abilities that boost damage like Okoye/Apoc have, or make them not boost passives. If they wanted to address Okoye specifically they could possibly make her WF ability boost cap at a certain amount of team up AP. At any rate I would hate to see Ihulk get a big nerf just to see some other massively exploitable character come out down the road, be back in the same situation again seeing Okoye and said character everywhere. Nerfing Ihulk isn't going to stop anyone from exploiting Okoye in every way possible. As players keep power leveling and pouring their resources into boosting Okoye sky high, the damage she will enable other future exploitable characters to churn out will also end up being very hard to deal with. Be interesting to see what if anything D3 decides to do if enough players keep screaming for nerfs. 

• Bobdvol
    Bobdvol Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    All everyone says is we need another meta, and that the new 5*s are useless. Then they develop a strong character, and then it is nerf, nerf, nerf.    
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:"We want strong characters!"

Devs: "Here's Okoye. Not only is she strong, but she makes others strong too!"

"We hate it!"

I genuinely find it hilarious.
    Add to that: she will boost ad infinitum without leaving players time to reaction.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Anon said:"We want strong characters!"

Devs: "Here's Okoye. Not only is she strong, but she makes others strong too!"

"We hate it!"

I genuinely find it hilarious.
    Add to that: she will boost ad infinitum without leaving players time to reaction.
    As long as she has TU banked up sure. But if you've been denying TU like you should have been doing, all Okoye does is die. Plus you can only bank up 30 ap, so she doesn't boost ad infinitum, only as long as she has the ap.
  • Bad
    Anon said:
    As long as she has TU banked up sure. But if you've been denying TU like you should have been doing, all Okoye does is die. Plus you can only bank up 30 ap, so she doesn't boost ad infinitum, only as long as she has the ap.
    Nice! And who else uses TU in this game except her? That tactic is simply unable to work because you are denying your game along with her game. 
    Here we have the first okoye user denying the facts.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I'm not asking for anything but going to 5* land on Saturday sure opened up my MMR to the world of never ending iHulk/Okoye when you don't have either champed! I have been hit (a lot!) trying to climb in SHIELD Sim and blimey, 85% I reckon of those are iHO teams! I knew they were rampant but this has been an eye opener! I am going to have to completely re-learn how to play SHIELD Sim at this rate!
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
     Why not, instead of defaulting to Okoye/Thor etc, be more open minded to other playstyles.
    Because PVP does not encourage this type of behavior.  Unless you don't care about rewards.  Which I imagine most (but not all) people on this forum do care about.

It reminds me of salespeople.  They will actively sell what they are incented on.  Period.  If there is nothing in it for them, they won't sell it.  Doesn't matter if the company has 100 products, if they are only incented on two, those are the two products they will actively sell.

MPQ is not totally the same but similar with PVP.  We are incented (via rewards and game play) to use quick teams that will have the least amount of retaliations without spending currency on shields.  Today, that is iHulkoye.

Until MPQ incentives us to not use those two together (maybe via game play or alternate reward structures), there will be little change.
  • Bad
    Can’t everyone use teamup abilities? Modern Black Widow stunning their entire squad (especially iHulk for 5 turns) seems like a good use of that AP to me. 
    Nice! And you are asking BW1 each hour? Lucky I am not in your alliance lol.
    Anon said:
     If I dont want Apocalypse blowing up my team, I'll deny black. If I don't want Onslaught/PX nuking me, I'll take the match 4 & 5s. Regardless of whether you can use the color or not, you still deny it, because that's how this game is played.

The reason I'm defending her is because she doesn't need any nerfs, and I know she's extremely useful for those without established 5* rosters.

At this point, nerfing her would be outright selfish.
    Are you sure you know how it works apocalypse? To deny black?

Wow you sure are the kindest person. But this is a game, not a contest of selfish or kind persons. If it worked like that this forum would be full of selfish people who asked for bishop nerfing.

Now, lets be realist at once, ladies and gentlemen. Apocalypse is really easy to beat and hulkoye team not. For that reason a lot of people is not interested on a hulkoye nerf, although pvp falls into the worst meta and the most boring to play. 
    Before any of you go for that way, yes, my dirty secret is that I use the get 1200 points.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    If there are other players who can use more than just those two,  surely there must be some other reason(s) why they did that? 

Every win moves you closer to another reward, so I don't get the "unless you don't care about rewards" part, unless you are referring to placement rewards.

• LavaManLee
    If there are other players who can use more than just those two,  surely there must be some other reason(s) why they did that? 

Every win moves you closer to another reward, so I don't get the "unless you don't care about rewards" part, unless you are referring to placement rewards.

Absolutely am referring to placement and progression.  The fastest way to both, right now in PVP, is iHulkoyoe.  Of course you see others using more than those two, but there is no incentive from MPQ not to do so unless you don't have them.  A player can certainly do whatever they want and don't HAVE to use them.  But the game definitely incentivizes you to use them.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because you are using only one factor to decide whether to use other characters: speed. MPQ is only about speed if you want it to be. 

There are other factors for using other characters, such as love of that characters, having fun using different team. Wouldn't these count as incentives as well? 
  • LavaManLee
    Because you are using only one factor to decide whether to use other characters: speed. MPQ is only about speed if you want it to be. 

There are other factors for using other characters, such as love of that characters, having fun using different team. Wouldn't these count as incentives as well? 
    Sure, they could be.  But I would imagine for the majority it is to get the rewards.  That does pose an interesting question, what percentage of players play mostly for rewards vs what percentage play "just for fun"?  I totally understand where you are coming from and actually wouldn't mind if there was more ways to play "just for fun".  They seem to be coming up with that more with some of their recent events.  You couldn't just iHulkoye your way through them at all.
  • Bad
    It is posible to play pvp just for fun. Play the 75 wins.
    But then in all pvp events will be too commited to win all rewards, plus alliance points season shared points will be severed.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    While i understand the arguments on all sides, @bad touched on a point that people seemed to miss, or ignore...?

Okoye and TU usage/denial.

Maybe i'm wrong, but what i gathered from his post is that there are barely any characters in the game that use Team Up AP like Okoye does... And for those that do (like 5* BP or Coulson), its not nearly as effective as Okoye's usage.  I mean... She doesnt even SPEND the AP to do what she does, but these others do.

If the tactic is supposed to be "denial", it would be nice to have another character that used TU AP in a similar way, so as to give a reason to deny beyond just trolling the opposition.  If you're denying Okoye from TU AP, they're surely still going after yellow, black, or red.  Meanwhile, you're just acruing TU AP only to spend it on a single ability, which more than likely won't be on the same level of effectiveness that Okoye provides for that much TU AP.

Would be neat (and obviously a counter choice) to have a character that says "For every 3 TU AP you have at the start of your turn, steal 1 random enemy AP, then lose 1 TU AP".   Or, "For every TU AP you have, reduce incoming match damage by 3%.". 

Once again, just throwing out thoughts on a whim.  :)
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Even if not using Okoye/Ihulk to clear as fast as possible for the best placement rewards, many still use this combo for being a major time saver grinding  PVE or PVP. 

I'm not in a very competitive alliance any longer like I used to be. I still full clear PVE and do PVP for the CPs. I often use Okoye/Ihulk as it cuts down the grind time quite a bit. I don't use this combo all the time, but when speed and time restraints are crucial I'll often use it. I'd use the combo more often if my Okoye was higher level to tank more og Ihulks colors. 

Due to the speed of the combo many who have them will use them often for placement or just buzzing through the daily grinds as fast as possible.