Character rankings 3/2014 edition: the results!

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I just had light dawn upon me. Addition of lazyThor makes perfect sense not only business-wise (him and Cap being the most popular 2**s), but also game-wise. Patch is currently public's favourite, so adding a hard counter to Patch besides Loki/Spidey helps a lot.
    I still hate lazyThor, but I'll have to get his covers like everyone else anyway.
  • Last installment is up! Thanks again to everyone who contributed and look forward to doing this again in a couple of months!
  • Patch's green will trigger Anger from Hulk, which then benefits from your own strike tiles and does area damage, and the resulting green tiles are often enough to cast Rage again

was that a typo?
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assumed he meant berserker rage but I could be wrong.

What I really came here for was to say that calling this section "the best there is" and having patch 3rd hurts my heart. Not saying I disagree, just that your use of the terminology offends my people

As always, great posts
  • Not a typo; I was referring to Berserker Rage.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    What is the AI version of this list?

AI is poor for
    Magneto (classic), Wolverine (Patch), Hulk, Black Widow (grey), Magneto (Marvel Now), and Captain America.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Great job mm!
  • I assumed he meant berserker rage but I could be wrong.

What I really came here for was to say that calling this section "the best there is" and having patch 3rd hurts my heart. Not saying I disagree, just that your use of the terminology offends my people

As always, great posts
    I feel ya. Patch was #2 on my list but is easily my favorite character. Wish he had placed higher, but hard to argue with where he ended up.
    What is the AI version of this list?

AI is poor for
    Magneto (classic), Wolverine (Patch), Hulk, Black Widow (grey), Magneto (Marvel Now), and Captain America.

Well, to be frank, the AI is pretty bad at playing everyone, relative to even a moderately skilled human. But we can kind of rank what kinds of things the AI is particularly bad at. That's kind of an involved process, but might be good fodder for another post.
  • Alternating between reading this ranking and Polarity's guide has been a lot of fun icon_e_smile.gif
  • I placed Patch #4 on my ballot, I think.

Spidey is a clear #1, as he is the only character that can truly render a team utterly invincible on offense against unassailable odds. Spidey's blue is god-tier broken in PvE, which is why he is due for a Funbalance (someday). Coupled with the fact that in combination with 5 Blue skill, he can complete heal even the Hulk in one yellow cast, and can generate defense tiles that would make Invisible Woman blush with his passive Purple, Spidey's skills badly need a complete rehaul.

CMags was #2, as he is simply overpowered with ultra-cheap red and blue skills (which is causing game-breaking issues). In his Funbalance, all that needs to be tweaked is the AP costs of his abilities (unlike Spidey). With an balanced cost/benefit on red/blue, he achieves his role as a very powerful, but not quite invincible character.

Can't remember who was 3/4 on my ballot, Panther or Patch. Likely was Panther because of the superior-than-GSBW black AE, which in my opinion, is inappropriate for a character with tank-level health (same can be said for Modern Thor, who came out after the balloting run). BP's black is semi-game breaking at even its nerfed power level.

Patch ranks lower because he has very significant drawbacks to compensate for his quasi-divine fury, which can be used against him relatively easily. As mentioned in the post, build up AP and simply wait for Berserker Rage to be cast and as along as a tank-class character survives Patch's turn, Patch can be face-planted on your next move with an AP dump on him.
  • over_clocked
    We all fought level 230 classic Magneto and Spider-Man now, are they really so overpowered? Level 230 Punisher/Patch/Doom are much more dangerous because hey, raw damage. Yes of course AI plays Spidey and Magneto somewhat poorly, but in the hands of a player, even Bullseye and Bag-Man can be a force. I admit to cherishing cHawkeye over IM 35 and Juggernaut back then, because what do you know, dropping crit tiles also makes damage.
    Something that Spidey doesn't have for sure. Magneto is a bit cheap for a megalomaniac, but if his red is changed it needs to generate AP as well.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lyrian wrote:
    I placed Patch #4 on my ballot, I think.

Spidey is a clear #1, as he is the only character that can truly render a team utterly invincible on offense against unassailable odds. Spidey's blue is god-tier broken in PvE, which is why he is due for a Funbalance (someday). Coupled with the fact that in combination with 5 Blue skill, he can complete heal even the Hulk in one yellow cast, and can generate defense tiles that would make Invisible Woman blush with his passive Purple, Spidey's skills badly need a complete rehaul.

CMags was #2, as he is simply overpowered with ultra-cheap red and blue skills (which is causing game-breaking issues). In his Funbalance, all that needs to be tweaked is the AP costs of his abilities (unlike Spidey). With an balanced cost/benefit on red/blue, he achieves his role as a very powerful, but not quite invincible character.

Can't remember who was 3/4 on my ballot, Panther or Patch. Likely was Panther because of the superior-than-GSBW black AE, which in my opinion, is inappropriate for a character with tank-level health (same can be said for Modern Thor, who came out after the balloting run). BP's black is semi-game breaking at even its nerfed power level.

Patch ranks lower because he has very significant drawbacks to compensate for his quasi-divine fury, which can be used against him relatively easily. As mentioned in the post, build up AP and simply wait for Berserker Rage to be cast and as along as a tank-class character survives Patch's turn, Patch can be face-planted on your next move with an AP dump on him.

I still don't see BP's black as gamebreaking. The drawback is pretty significant in that you can't just use it to finish off the weakest character on their team or else you'll give them AP that the other 2 team members can use to hurt your team. 3.2k damage to everyone is a good amount of damage in PvP, but in PvE versus high level opponents, it doesn't really make as much of an impact due to level 230 mobs such as juggs having over 10k hp.
  • over_clocked
    Black Panther can use his black with impunity against: mooks (they generate AP anyway, so giving them more doesn't seem a big deal), Venom (strongest colour: green), Daken (AP usage: 0), Yelena (her purple is ridiculously expensive, so adding 5 won't change a thing most often), Bullseye and mHawkeye (no active purple). Too bad that the last three are the squishiest characters anyway and will die to match damage, so bringing BP against just them seems overkill.
    The best deal is usually when facing Venom and any other non-green characters, because level 230 Venom will always have the best tile strength compared to 2** and 3***, since 1*s scale better than 2**s and 3***s. Just see to it that they don't actually use green. E.g. Moonstone + Venom + Doom.
    Also when paired with oBW/Psylocke after casting Bewilder. And maybe Daredevil if you manage to set up Radar Sense perfectly (basically never). And of course, with Spidey.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Lyrian wrote:

Patch ranks lower because he has very significant drawbacks to compensate for his quasi-divine fury

What's this quasi nonsense?! Heretic
  • over_clocked
    ^ What is your current stance on the promotion of the false god aka lazyThor since he counters Patch like, well, a god? *nosy reporter with a mic imitation*
  • Arogntbastrd
    locked wrote:
    ^ What is your current stance on the promotion of the false god aka lazyThor since he counters Patch like, well, a god? *nosy reporter with a mic imitation*

To quote our sacred scrolls:

"the false god Thor uses his evil cascades to slay thine party, but lo! Patches lives, and all the jewels of thine eyes now beareth his sign, AND HIS VENGEANCE SHALL STRIKE DOWN THE WICKED THOR WITH SLASHING WRATH AND FURY"

We do not fear the fat man. Let him grow plump on mead and holiday boar. Let him growl and toss around his precious meowmeow. At the end of the battle we prove that even a god can bleed, and the book of predator states if it bleeds we can kill it

Blades be with you
  • over_clocked
    ^ You're so consistent you deserve to be alliance #1, Shield and Venoms notwithstanding icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I'm slightly prejudiced against self-harming characters like Juggs, Ares, the Hulk, IM 40 and, of course, Patch, but very glad that we can get some Patch covers in the fat god tourney (that's what I call irony btw).
  • over_clocked
    I'm trying to rack up some points in the lazy god tourney, running Punisher/oBW, Punisher has 4x multiplier for environment. Went into Jungle, my env. tiles say "Punisher shatters us alright" but I only got 9 env. from the normal 3 match, what gives?

Edit: Just made some more env. matches to make sure (although that will probably cost me the victory), nope, Punisher gives 12 environment for a normal 3 match alright but only if you click on the env. tile when matching. That first match for 9 environment was made when I was matching primary black, so apparently environment went to either Thor or oBW on that match.
  • Awesome post icon_e_biggrin.gif. I have updated the Ranking order in the Excel (gold characters at the end).
  • In regards to Bullseye, ironically, he's buffed in the current event, despite never having been buffed before.