***** Cyclops (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    At these power prices, and being RYG, he seems like a hard requirement you bring 50% Thor, which in pick 2 seems like a nightmare. I'm curious if that yellow a) stacks on repeated firing and b) the effects linger beyond cyclops getting burned down.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    At these power prices, and being RYG, he seems like a hard requirement you bring 50% Thor, which in pick 2 seems like a nightmare. I'm curious if that yellow a) stacks on repeated firing and b) the effects linger beyond cyclops getting burned down.
    I agree, but the only concern is if you fire Cykes yellow too often, thor will start tanking.

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    SourCream said:
    Can he survives long enough to cast any ability against Hulk ?

That's current state of PVP, sadly. 4* not enough health and 5* can't do anything against Hulk.
    Brb/kitty kills any ihulk team. 5* Carnage will stop ihulk green door.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omegased said:
    I agree, but the only concern is if you fire Cykes yellow too often, thor will start tanking.

That’s what I meant by a nightmare - unless you’re in a pick 3 situation it’s highly undesirable to bring Thor in with him. On the other hand I could see this being a cascade factory nightmare with Onslaught/Profe$$or X
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    An iHulk counter destroying 3 basic green tiles after 7 turns... :| The hope for another reliable Okoye/IHulk counter continues...

I didn't expect PFC to be a hero. If he had a villIan tag instead... 

Red power helps you to gain 3 green aps by destroying green basic tile every 3 turn via his repeater. Chances are, it's going to be 2 or 1 green ap instead unless you pair him with Cable or Hawkeye, which is unlikely.

Yellow power is interesting. The questions are whether it stacks with each cast, and whether it stacks with other characters like Adam Warlock, or it chooses whichever is higher. Also, only basic tiles are swapped. So, tiles spammers like Carbage or Polaris will nullify this portion of his ability

His black power is probably good for wave nodes that are not SCL10, unless he's boosted. It's obviously an end-game power. It reminds me of 5* Captain America's red power, which drains all coloured ap instead.

His green power is a backup before you fire his yellow power, just in case you there isn't  any tile to swap.

There's only 1 build for him and that's 3/5/5.

He's an obvious support character for short matches, so I would use him only for his yellow power, and maybe green power. I think I would focus around a team that deals heavy match damage and creates critical tiles, like America Chavez and Killmonger.

• wolfknight34
    wolfknight34 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Wow just noticed that Cyclops has made it to 5* club and he has 4 colours in powers.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    " Increases all Cyclops's teammates' match damage by 60%."
    Does it increase his too, or just his teammates? The way it's worded it sounds like it doesn't apply to him only the other 2, but that would seem...I dunno, kinda weird?

"Swaps a pair of basic tiles for each Team-Up AP you have."
    You could take him, Main Event Hulk, and 5* Carnage and create quite the busy little tile moving team.

EDIT: do you get to pick which 2 tiles to swap, or is it random?
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Repeater synergy with 4* Emma?

I hoping he'll work ok in practice, and can do something in 5e pve.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    If his yellow switches to black and he subsequently regains an active ally does it revert to yellow or remain black?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    So I realize the dates are messed up, but is this another Profe$$or X situation?

Let's assume for a moment that the dates on the Legendary Store are correct but list the wrong month (should be February, not January).

In that case, by chronological order:
    02/11 you can pull him with HP from the Cover Store (singles, 10 packs, and 40 packs)
    02/14 he's featured in PvE
    02/21 you can pull him with CP from the Legendary Store

I really hope this isn't correct.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    SourCream said:

That's current state of PVP, sadly. 4* not enough health and 5* can't do anything against Hulk.
    my brb/kitty goes down all the time to ihulk. if you don't fire his blue by turn 3 at the latest you're pretty much toasted. especially if the other team matches some team-ups 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    helix72 said:
    So I realize the dates are messed up, but is this another Profe$$or X situation?

Let's assume for a moment that the dates on the Legendary Store are correct but list the wrong month (should be February, not January).

In that case, by chronological order:
    02/11 you can pull him with HP from the Cover Store (singles, 10 packs, and 40 packs)
    02/21 you can pull him with CP from the Legendary Store

I really hope this isn't correct.
    Could be the wording.

The "featured" in Pve (it lists "Meet Rocket & Groot", but knowing the devs it will be anything else, maybe Simulator), could simply mean that Cyclops sharts are progression rewards, but he's not the 5* essential. They will probably throw in another sacrificial 5* lamb, just like how Banner was 5e when Yellowjacket sharts were awarded in progression.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    helix72 said:

This will be the usual shards as progression rewards with someone else featured (along with the usual complaints about missing out on shards for the featured character).
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Meh.

Red is too expensive for low damage and long repeaters.  Yellow is by far the best power.  The match damage boost is not tied to any tiles and seems irreversible.  Even better if it stacks with multiple uses.  Board shake can be nice too.  Green is expensive but can be useful, if you bring someone with a better red power.  Black is a hail Mary if the match is falling apart, at 13 ap can't see it being used much.  3/5/5 in almost all situations.

In pick 3, I think the obvious pairing is Thorkoye.  It gives you an offensive use for yellow when you don't need Okoye's heal and if you already have a couple TUs the board shake can probably generate more TU off cascades then the few Okoye places.  You have no blue and purple outlet but with match damage and power damage boosts and Thor's acceleration it probably won't matter too much.

Might have a use with Apoc and BRB as a way to turn your accelerated green to red for Apoc, and a second outlet for yellow is Apoc's repeaters are still on the board.  Probably still not as good or fast as Polaris or halfThor.

In pick 2, he might be interesting with YJ.  Boosted Match damage plus YJ's extra damage on matches could be powerful, and cascade off of board shake will generate more match damage and keep YJ invisible.  But unlike with Thorkoye there's no reason to chase TU with this team so board shake could be limited.  If the essential isn't a red user, I could see using him 5/5/3 with YJ, taking what you can get out of Cyke's red for some damage and slow green acceleration.

Wish he was better...
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be more excited for 5 stars if I could cover them before going into classic purgatory. 

He looks decent though 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    His red is underwhelming. It could have been awesome if it was a passive that converted one green tile to a red protect tile whenever another teammate received damage. Or if X amount of green tiles are on the board at the start of your turn then it would convert two green tiles to two red tiles.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    jredd said:
    SourCream said:

my brb/kitty goes down all the time to ihulk. if you don't fire his blue by turn 3 at the latest you're pretty much toasted. especially if the other team matches some team-ups 
    Yea it's not auto-play, you do have to pay attention. Deny tu, boost blu, flip okoyoe to the back if they get a few tus, fire kitty red, bring an MBW tu.

If your losing alot it's due to player errors. Yes, there will be a game where the crazy magic AI cascade happens but you'll lose to most teams that way. Anyway, derailing thread.