Lightning rounds

Mayo
Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
Instead of having lighting rounds were always the same lvl 550 whales keep the rewards it would be nice to democratice and re tool them into challenge rounds where rewards go to players who can complete the most of a list of conditions such as making 3 match 5s, using only light color powers, using 2 supports, using one 1* in your team, etc. 
I am sure a lot more players would be interested in playing challenges where they can have a real chance to win something in progress and get rewards. 

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you referring specifically to getting 4 Heroic Tokens from LRs?

Getting 3 Heroic Tokens from LRs is still achievable if you put up shield.

Getting 1 or 2 Heroic Tokens is totally achievable.

If they implement your suggestion, the developer will reduce rewards in other areas of the game drastically. This won't be a question of "if", but "when"? Are you sure you want to see this happening?

Rationally speaking, there are a maximum of 48 Heroic Tokens to be gained every 24 hours. That makes it an additional 96 Heroic Tokens per week. Again, what's the pprobability of that happening? Zero.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Oh sweet summer child.  That task  would require active programming by the devs and the LRS code has not been updated in years.  The LR regulars are grateful now when they remember to turn on double iso.

There are many many things that could be done to shake up LRs, but I doubt they have the manpower , willingness, or even the desire  to revamp lrs

edit. 
    In fact I’m positive it’s the oldest section in the game.  I know the prologue got reset AFTER the LR cast go updated to include Gamora3*.  
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Mayo said:
    Instead of having lighting rounds were always the same lvl 550 whales keep the rewards it would be nice to democratice and re tool them into challenge rounds where rewards go to players who can complete the most of a list of conditions such as making 3 match 5s, using only light color powers, using 2 supports, using one 1* in your team, etc. 
    I am sure a lot more players would be interested in playing challenges where they can have a real chance to win something in progress and get rewards. 
    Nope.  I love playing for little rewards
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see LR as a way to earn ISO to pay the Skip Tax in PvP.  It's a bonus when I remember to do it but not so sad if I forget.
  • Mayo
    Are you referring specifically to getting 4 Heroic Tokens from LRs?

Getting 3 Heroic Tokens from LRs is still achievable if you put up shield.

Getting 1 or 2 Heroic Tokens is totally achievable.

If they implement your suggestion, the developer will reduce rewards in other areas of the game drastically. This won't be a question of "if", but "when"? Are you sure you want to see this happening?

Rationally speaking, there are a maximum of 48 Heroic Tokens to be gained every 24 hours. That makes it an additional 96 Heroic Tokens per week. Again, what's the pprobability of that happening? Zero.

I have checked the top rankings of many LR and always see the same l550 players on the top. 
    I just takes 1 or 2 hits to bring you down to iso level price.
    I do not see the logic of entering a game where your 1 to 3 year roster faces a 5 year roster and has no chance of winning top rewards.
    Then again, i dont think devs should take anything since they are not giving nothing New... rewards would be more evenly distributed, players would be more active and happy of playing a puzzle game for a change and losing health points in the process helping health pack sales. I see a win - win situation. 
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I’ve been playing for 6-7 years, have a deep 5* roster (but no one much past 480) and unless I use plenty of shields still have little chance of top rewards in either PVE, PvP or Lightning Rounds.  In CL10 in particular events are dominated by the plethora of 550 teams and Lightning Rounds are no different for me - but i guess worse for non CL10 players who don’t normally need to contend with 550s.

Since starting MPQ I’ve always seen Lightning Rounds as an easy way to farm iso and get a few standard tokens and 2* drops.  Occasionally I’ll luck my way into a heroic or two but just see those as an unexpected but welcome bonus.

I actually like your suggestions but as Phumade pointed out LRs have been unchanged in forever and are likely to stay that way.  Never say never though, I never expected Milestones to be a thing in MPQ.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    Remember the Main Event Hulk LR they did for Thor Ragnarok? Good times.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    What if we ask the developers to redistribute the wealth in MPQ.  this would be a more fair game.  

If we take 2 levels from every player in scl10 or light round who places t5.   Then we distribute those levels to the top players in the lower levels
  • antifreezenp
    antifreezenp Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    You can get top 100 without having a crazy roster. You just have to time your last few attacks well.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    About a month ago I saw a 3* player in the top 25 of a lightning round with like 400ish points with under 15 minutes left. But they didn't shield so then they got slaughtered. So it's entirely possible to get decent placement even if you don't have a huge roster.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mayo said:

I also hate seeing the same 550 whales in LR. Plz fix.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT said:
    Mayo said:

I also hate seeing the same 550 whales in LR. Plz fix.
    Especially that one guy with the 550 Hulk. He’s a meanie.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Top 2 placement in LRs is about big rosters and shielding. The whales work hard to get top placement rewards. So, I think they deserve the 4 Heroic Tokens. 

I have been playing LRs since I was a 2* player and I have no problem getting 2 Heroic Tokens regularly. So, you don't need to be whales unless you want 4 HTs. 3 HTs or top 8 placement need shielding and some luck. For the rest of placements, it's about timing and checking rosters if you feel that something is not right.

Currently, I would rather they switch the lineup to affiliation based LRs, compared to the villians and heroes grouping. Again, LRs is way down on their priority list because only those hardcore players would go all in for LRs.

• Phumade
    Bzhai said:
    Remember the Main Event Hulk LR they did for Thor Ragnarok? Good times.
    Oh an I killed myself that week.  Any kind of or change would be so refreshing
  • Mayo
    Top 2 placement in LRs is about big rosters and shielding. The whales work hard to get top placement rewards. So, I think they deserve the 4 Heroic Tokens. 

I have been playing LRs since I was a 2* player and I have no problem getting 2 Heroic Tokens regularly. So, you don't need to be whales unless you want 4 HTs. 3 HTs or top 8 placement need shielding and some luck. For the rest of placements, it's about timing and checking rosters if you feel that something is not right.

Currently, I would rather they switch the lineup to affiliation based LRs, compared to the villians and heroes grouping. Again, LRs is way down on their priority list because only those hardcore players would go all in for LRs.

Basically for 7 years the same small group of players may feel they deserve this rewards because they invested time and probably money in the game... i guess getting the best rewards from pve and pvp is not enough...

LR should be aimed to improve player base loyalty,  surely this game would benefit from that in many aspects... a few covers that give lower level heroes will surely not be missed by the big old rosters out there.

Surely any now and then you can see one case of a lucky normal player climbing to the top but that is not the usual case.

Btw, for any common player that has some decent roster it is possible to climb with a lot of luck up but if he is not hit by one of the 20 or more whales in the way what will happen is that those whales will only do a few more battles and get enough points to secure the top...i see it every pvp... and to get there probably this poor player will have used boosts so probably he is losing more than what he could get and thus making LR worthless to him.

Hope the devs get this point of view. The game is called puzzle quest, not battle puzzle quest so let us get some puzzles in game. Lol.
  • Phumade
    Once you come to the realization that this mode is on twilight mode you will come to appreciate it for the lab that it is.

Practice your meta tactics.  Learn what teams beat what.  Goto harvest heroic mode.  The fact that it’s usually consistent players means you can get a feel for their tactics and plays styles.  Use the LRs as a way to learn the limits of your specific roster.  
    Ultimately the best placement prizes in pvp or pve all require leveraging the knowledge of your alliance or other line users.  Use the LRs to practice those tactics or improve your knowledge of  all the variuous tactics in use today

• Mayo
    Phumade said:
    Once you come to the realization that this mode is on twilight mode you will come to appreciate it for the lab that it is.

Practice your meta tactics.  Learn what teams beat what.  Goto harvest heroic mode.  The fact that it’s usually consistent players means you can get a feel for their tactics and plays styles.  Use the LRs as a way to learn the limits of your specific roster.  
    Ultimately the best placement prizes in pvp or pve all require leveraging the knowledge of your alliance or other line users.  Use the LRs to practice those tactics or improve your knowledge of  all the variuous tactics in use today

In my experience no matter how good tactics you have,  you will never beat a lvl 500+ since they will beat you without thinking just by brute force. Even at my humble lvl 470 i beat the **** of any team at 450 without much thinking... and that is what makes many players llave the game early. The lack of at least one pvp where they can have some achievement and grow their roster.
  • Phumade
    Mayo said:
    Phumade said:

Ultimately the best placement prizes in pvp or pve all require leveraging the knowledge of your alliance or other LINE users.  Use the LRs to practice those tactics or improve your knowledge of  all the variuous tactics in use today

In my experience no matter how good tactics you have,  you will never beat a lvl 500+ since they will beat you without thinking just by brute force. Even at my humble lvl 470 i beat the **** of any team at 450 without much thinking... and that is what makes many players llave the game early. The lack of at least one pvp where they can have some achievement and grow their roster.
    Added the bold emphasis on how to push a 500 player out of T2.  In any case practice here where it’s okay to misjudge the timing against an A team vs in regular pvp.

While I have my preferences, I’m very much in favor of any type of change to LRs
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best advice I ever got for LRs was to enter at start, beat the seed teams with your weakest teams, then wait as the hits roll in.  With about 20 minutes left, hit your retaliations with your strong teams until gone, then shield out.  Easy token.

Once you are post-iso, I'm not even sure what the point is of LRs.*

*I know there is a point, just none I care about.  I have only so many neurons and so much time I can dedicate to this game and cutting LR's was how I stay sane and avoid burnout.
  • Mayo
    pheregas said:
    The best advice I ever got for LRs was to enter at start, beat the seed teams with your weakest teams, then wait as the hits roll in.  With about 20 minutes left, hit your retaliations with your strong teams until gone, then shield out.  Easy token.

Once you are post-iso, I'm not even sure what the point is of LRs.*

*I know there is a point, just none I care about.  I have only so many neurons and so much time I can dedicate to this game and cutting LR's was how I stay sane and avoid burnout.
    I totally agree but there are quite a few whales that fill up t5 consistently (shame on them). Sadly LR currently is not for the mayority of players, hope this system changes to help the player base more than the top of the foodchain.