***** Darren Cross (Yellowjacket) *****

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Invisible characters still get hit by iHulk.
    I don't see a great deal of synergy here. He's powerful on his own, but he doesn't boost others. So, he's not meta. He's no better than 5* Deadpool, imo.
    Deadpool has less health and no healing.  His red is poor and is basically used for his passive blue.  His black can be situational good.

with Yellowjacket his invisibility is good against non AOE and he gives you a similar passive damage as Deadpool.  He also has healing I am assuming true healing, and his green is better than DP red.  I would put yellow jacket slightly higher than DP.  He will be easier to dip off of Okoye or Apocalypse, and his removal of special tiles is a nice bonus in PVE.  If he is essential using him against mindless ones or Ultron goons or even ninjas that green will be useful.  I don’t think Dap is terrible but I would put Yellowjacket slightly above DP.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    TheXMan said:
    Shouldn't he have a yellow power?
    Maybe he can trade with Green Goblin.

Some sort of yankee swap with YJ, GG, and BSSM.
    Throw in Scarlet Witch, 3* Black Widow and 4* Black Panther too

On a separate note, I called Yellowjacket immediately. I’m quite proud of myself for that, as I usually have no clue who the characters are going to be
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    What year is it?

Darren Cross should have been a 4-star in 2015. And maybe back then it would have been okay to have him and no Hank Pym. It would have been weird, but it would have been acceptable with the game's limited and MCU-focused roster.

But now? It's just salt in the wound, man.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I'm not super impressed. I don't get what all the buzz is about.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    wymtime said:
    Borstock said:
    Invisible characters still get hit by iHulk.
    I don't see a great deal of synergy here. He's powerful on his own, but he doesn't boost others. So, he's not meta. He's no better than 5* Deadpool, imo.
    Deadpool has less health and no healing.  His red is poor and is basically used for his passive blue.  His black can be situational good.

with Yellowjacket his invisibility is good against non AOE and he gives you a similar passive damage as Deadpool.  He also has healing I am assuming true healing, and his green is better than DP red.  I would put yellow jacket slightly higher than DP.  He will be easier to dip off of Okoye or Apocalypse, and his removal of special tiles is a nice bonus in PVE.  If he is essential using him against mindless ones or Ultron goons or even ninjas that green will be useful.  I don’t think Dap is terrible but I would put Yellowjacket slightly above DP.

Slightly above DP doesn't mean much if you're not putting him in a meta tier.
    DP's black does a lot of what YJ's charging up does, but without having to actually charge up. I would also rather have DP's two-turn stun than an invisibility mechanic that can't help me if the other team is running AOE dmg (which about 65% of teams in PvP are using). Removing a few specials several turns into the match also doesn't come into play a lot because most teams relying on specials these days are trying to flood the board and boost them with Kitty. I doubt this power is going to get a lot of practical use.
    I also don't like the store. Most people using Thor don't want him tanking because he starts the match at half health. So, unless you don't have him champed, not a lot of people want levels on him. Storm is somewhat interesting if you're trying to run a charged tile meta, but I don't know of one that is viable yet, so she's no real help.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's a typo in his Green power at lv255, 1 cover. It should do around 711 damage.

Also, his bio is a direct copypasta from Contest of Champions. Interesting.

https://marvel-contestofchampions.fandom.com/wiki/Yellowjacket
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    @IceIX
    Question for you. The announcement says, "Yellowjacket (Darren Cross) as a progression reward". It does NOT say shards. Are we getting full covers as rewards now? If so, this is a big deal and much appreciated.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are reading too much into it. Expect 90 (1500 points) or 120 wins (2000 points) if it's a full cover. Most likely it's a typo. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    We’ve now moved down the list of possible heroes alphabetically to Yellowjacket, replacing Yelena. I’m still waiting for a good Z character though ( not Zzzax) Hint : Baron 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mr_F said:
    Also... Dear God... I thought that nothing will beat Negasonic in category "MPQ introdunce character who's Comic Book importance is near zero"...

Ah, this tired old beaten-to-death observation once again. 😂
    They're characters many people may know/recognize from some popular films that made several hundred million dollars apiece.
    Not everything has to be comic-relevant, and not everyone's Marvel fandom extends beyond the films/shows. And that's fine. ^_^
    Leopards don't change their spots.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    We’ve now moved down the list of possible heroes alphabetically to Yellowjacket, replacing Yelena. I’m still waiting for a good Z character though ( not Zzzax) Hint : Baron 
    Bring on Zemo, Wrecking Crew, Enchantress, Executioner. Heck any villian will be a welcome addition.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Persistent invisibility and healing. He's good on his own, but MPQ isn't a one-on-one game. The only thing he needs is a team that can feed him Black, Blue, and Green tiles and he might be decent. 
    I think those who hold on to their tokens aren't missing much, but those who spend to get him will find him useful if the right partner for him is released in the future.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    Mr_F said:
    Also... Dear God... I thought that nothing will beat Negasonic in category "MPQ introdunce character who's Comic Book importance is near zero"...

Ah, this tired old beaten-to-death observation once again. 😂
    They're characters many people may know/recognize from some popular films that made several hundred million dollars apiece.
    Not everything has to be comic-relevant, and not everyone's Marvel fandom extends beyond the films/shows. And that's fine. ^_^

I dont recall my statement being beaten to death: what I recall is that I've proved that Negasonic's importance, from comic books point of view, is near zero and that some major characters, like Pym, Zemo or Red Skull are still missing.
    The rest - the last two paragraphs - I agree with that. I know WHY this characters has appeared in game etc. Still I have some issued with that but from "Whole Marvel, not just comic point of view" it makes sense that we got him.

ALSO: I think that we discussed whole topic during Negasonic's talk enough so nothing more is needed to be said. I wont continue that topic here: I know your PoV, You know mine and thats it. Please, dont off-top with that (I wont - even if someone will respond I will keep my silence - I've said enough already.).

So... that being said: despite the fact I dont like the idea WHO was brought into MPQ, I like HOW it is done as a design is pleasing for me.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    About the old beaten to death observation, this marvel game could be the only one where yellowjacket is a lot better than captain america or ironman.
    About this character, is a good work and he can hit hard in the future. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Bad said:

About this character, is a good work and he can hit hard in the future. 
    My five star roster is littered with such characters. Where I’ve pulled on the advice that they will be good in the future. You know how many of them I’ve revisited since, none. Unless you are a collector there’s zero reason to pull for this or Adam in the hope they get good later. Save the pulls for the hope of something meta or truly top tier and if by some complete miracle they become useful there will be a vault to get them later down the road.

I pull for meta or as good as and the only person I’ve ever regretted missing is Clint when he became part of the cap meta. Over half the 5* I have, I regret getting more than one cover for, what I should have done is get more okoye.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2021
    I wanna know if I'm reading this correctly. Once you store up damage by his black, the extra damage will be added to any power he fires next, right? And if he's invisible, then his blue passive gives his power extra damage as well.

So, the questions is, will these extra damages apply to each hit of his green or only the first hit? I feel like his green damage for each hit is pretty low for a 5-star character, but if his black and blue apply the extra damage to each hit, then I can see why the base damage is what it is.

In any case, an interesting character with the way he extend his invisibility. Might not be a meta character, but I think he'll be fun to use. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Tony_Foot said:
    Unless you are a collector there’s zero reason to pull for this or Adam in the hope they get good later. Save the pulls for the hope of something meta or truly top tier and if by some complete miracle they become useful there will be a vault to get them later down the road.

As if having invisibility while smashing throught protects with a passive was cargabe, both in offense and defense pvp.
    As respectable is pulling for meta than pulling for antimeta. But creating a good antimeta team is more creative. 
    About his black storing damage, its not clear if he can be continuosly storing damage for his green or if it just one charge for the next time. 
    Or it serves that damage when he fires his invisibility. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it should be 4324 + 4324 + 12071, rather than (4324+12071) x 2. I think I will go with 3/5/5 build.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    YellowJacket now?!?!?! Why!?!?!? Not only has 0 relevance in comics, he also has 0 relevance in movies, he was a pretty mediocre bad guy in Ant Man. I was expecting a really amazing 5* SW, with WandaVision starting in just a few days....

But anyway, lets look at his kit. He looks decent, but I am also not sold on how good he is yet.

He is a bit hard to judge because his utility really depends on firing his powers in order and AI will probably never do this right. He is a bit like Apoc that you always want to fire his yellow before his red or his black. The BIG difference with Apoc is that he only needs to fire yellow once, while YJ will need to fire black all the time.

Green as a stand alone power it is pretty meh, its damage is very low for the AP. Of course if you add 12k into each of the hits things change, and goes from bad to great, but this is a bit misleading. Basically this power really costs (6+8), but then for 14AP the damage is not that great. The way I see it, black and green are really one power, that heals for 7k and does two hits for 16k and then maybe also removes some SAP tiles. Then (Black+Green) is just an ok power in the tier, not great by any means. (Not a apples and apples comparison as it is easier to get AP from two different colors, but Thor or BRB greens are much better than this and cheaper).

Blue is pretty cool. Best invis power in the tier. Between him and AW match damage alone can go through the roof :P

So, after reviewing his powers, and paying a closer look to his black+green power, I have to say that he is probably just a decent char, but not great or meta at all. Another just decent char  :'(

PS: I am not adding blue damage to (black+green) because then things are even more hard to judge. Are you going to wait until you get 6+6+8 to fire any power? Maybe I guess, but then that is a pretty high barrier, that is 20 AP before doing anything. And if you want to fire black+green again? Maybe you are still invis or maybe not.