Which character "gets" matches when two tie for damage?

karger
karger Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
When 2 characters on a team are tied for damage on a particular color match, how does the game decide which character is "assigned" to tiles of that color and moved to the front when it is matched?  I don't like the choice the game is making; can I get it to choose the other character somehow?
Tagged:

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    It's based on the position the characters are on the team select screen.  The order is: middle, left, right.
    However, there are hidden decimals for some of the match damage numbers.  So even if the character sheets says that the damage is the same, they might still be different.  If you're comparing the match damages of a similar strength color (i.e. both characters have the same strongest color), this shouldn't be a problem for two characters at the same level for the 1*, 2*, 3*, or 4* tiers.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Assuming all their levels are the same and they are from the same tier, it would be what was stated above.

If there's a couple level differences among the same tier with the same match damage, it will be the one with the higher level even if another character with the same displayed match damage is in the middle.

If you are talking about characters of higher tier tanking for characters of lower tier, it's more difficult to tell due to hidden decimals. 

I'm not sure if there's anyone who took the time to do an in-depth analysis of hidden decimal point.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Assuming all their levels are the same and they are from the same tier, it would be what was stated above.

If there's a couple level differences among the same tier with the same match damage, it will be the one with the higher level even if another character with the same displayed match damage is in the middle.

If you are talking about characters of higher tier tanking for characters of lower tier, it's more difficult to tell due to hidden decimals. 

I'm not sure if there's anyone who took the time to do an in-depth analysis of hidden decimal point.
    I'm not even sure if it is possible to do an in-depth analysis of hidden decimal points without access to dev files.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Do powers play inot the order of operations at all?  For example, do Juggs or Karnak's damage multipliers take precedence over a baseline damage for another character?   This sometimes has come up for me with Kitty and Juggs, but not enough to look hard at it : )
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, it does.