Finished prologue except ragnarok. Nothing to do now?

Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
Have been playing MPQ for about 3 weeks now - I finished the prologue, except for Thor Ragnarok, but I don’t really have a team to beat him. Beat him once out of 10 tries, and only because my first gem match resulted in like a 90 second cascade of matches which fully charged all my powers on all my characters. Stunned him 3x with my 1* black widow and he spent like 15 rounds getting hammered by my 2* iron man. Other than that I can barely dent him before his instant kill strike kills my entire team.
I can barely get through the second stage of the DDQ - fail about 20% of the time, and have no chance to complete the 3rd stage, usually dying without defeating a single enemy character.
PvP matches typically pit me against players with level 100-250 characters - while my 2* captain America is level 86, and I have no one else above 65. So Versus matches are pretty much a pointless waste of time, since I have a 0% chance to win.
Have finished all Throgg missions except the 7 I cannot do because they require characters I don’t have. 

So, I really have nothing to do in MPQ right now except wait for the first 2 missions of DDQ again tomorrow? It feels really stagnated. Going from playing a couple hours a day to maybe 2 minutes of day feels totally anticlimactic- how do I keep growing with nothing to play?

Comments

• formula11
    formula11 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    edited January 2021
    Didn't story open up, everything is red checked in prologue?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    If you join a PVP event right when it starts, after checking the "event details," you should get a bunch of very easy to beat seed teams that ought to result in a number of tokens you can pull over time. You'll know you are in the seeds because it'll be like the loaner at a relatively low level and then a pair of 1* characters on either side.

Which prologue node are you stuck on, exactly? Call Him Ragnarok in the Dark Avengers tree?

It's been literal years since I was a new player, so I don't recall what the gating looks like for you at this point. Are you able to use Team Ups and/or join an Alliance yet?
  • Tanglefoot
    Story is open. Completed all Throgg’s I can. Nothing else in story...
  • Tanglefoot
    If you join a PVP event right when it starts, after checking the "event details," you should get a bunch of very easy to beat seed teams that ought to result in a number of tokens you can pull over time. You'll know you are in the seeds because it'll be like the loaner at a relatively low level and then a pair of 1* characters on either side.

Which prologue node are you stuck on, exactly? Call Him Ragnarok in the Dark Avengers tree?

It's been literal years since I was a new player, so I don't recall what the gating looks like for you at this point. Are you able to use Team Ups and/or join an Alliance yet?
    Yes, call him ragnarok. I try him a couple/few times per day, but it is frustrating how fast he destroys my teams while I have whittled away 20-25% of his health.
    On PVP, maybe 1 in 3 new PVPs I can get a mission I can beat, like the nefarious foes today. Beat a team with 3 lvl 70+ players. Then I lost like 3 matches while I was working, and I look now and the weakest team has 3 and 4 star characters at levels 149, 133, 149, lol I would not even be a speed bump with my mixed 2 and 3 star team, Pretty much none of whom are anywhere near maxed
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Looking at my prologue, there are 2x nodes past that Ragnarok solo node, that may be gating you from playing Unstable Iso-8 (the "main" story running currently). It's interesting the Throg introducing mission is there for you but not that one.

If your only 2* champ is Cap, you could try leaning hard on his stun. Ragnarok will create blue tiles if you let him fire his red, but that can be a dangerous game to play. What does your full roster look like? Maybe we can come up with a team for you.
  • Tanglefoot
    And I can use team ups when they are available, but they rarely are, and you need to gather enough silver to use them. And I joined an alliance late last week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Have you requested team-ups from your alliance? I could probably give you one that would let you 1-shot that ragnarok
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Also - welcome to the game and the forum. There's some pretty good intel here if you know what you want to look for. What's your roster look like currently? (i'd look it up in game, but I think its' not cool to ask about people's in-game details on the forum so I won't)
  • Tanglefoot
    Looking at my prologue, there are 2x nodes past that Ragnarok solo node, that may be gating you from playing Unstable Iso-8 (the "main" story running currently). It's interesting the Throg introducing mission is there for you but not that one.

If your only 2* champ is Cap, you could try leaning hard on his stun. Ragnarok will create blue tiles if you let him fire his red, but that can be a dangerous game to play. What does your full roster look like? Maybe we can come up with a team for you.
    Unstable iso8 is open. I HAD completed all options available, but see there is now a new one this morning - nothing new had opened in iso8 for a couple days so was waiting until tonight to finish the 6th intro mission. Thanks you - I can prowl through what is available in iso8 today.
    and I just opened my last cover to get cap 13 powers like Monday, so he is 5/4/4 now but I stopped leveling him at 86. The only other 2 star I have maxed is Wolverine 5/3/5, with 1 spare cover.
    and I completed all the other nodes in the prologue dark reign before tapping on Ragnarok
  • Tanglefoot
    Have you requested team-ups from your alliance? I could probably give you one that would let you 1-shot that ragnarok
    I have couple really powerful team ups from my alliance, but have been unable to get enough silver matches to use them - needing like 12+. I didn’t realize you could actually “request” team ups until just now. I have so many questions about this game...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Oh, you need to work on fully leveling those two characters. At level 94, you can turn them into what's called a "champion," which will allow you to level them beyond that with every cover you get and earn rewards every time you add a cover. you can also re-spec their powers whenever you like for no cost. I would recommend working on Wolverine first, then Cap. 2* Cap is pretty low-tier compared to 3* Cap, but 2* Wolverine is pretty solid and has a true heal that should help you with longevity.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2021
    You should also probably know that events are tied to the real-world calendar outside of the prologue, so you only have a limited window of time to play and progress in each one before they end and a new one begins. Much of the play loop is going to be accomplishing what you want to each actual real world day and figuring out what level of investment you care to give the game over time.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should be able to make reasonable progress in the first few weeks and fly past the 1* tier so I would also suggest you familiarise yourself a bit with the 2* tier because that is where team combinations start to come in and you can begin to look at some nice combinations, not least for playing Deadpool Daily. Storm, Black Widow, Magneto, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Daken and Thor can serve you well here.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I saw that OP mentioned they had 3*s on roster, if they're still in the prologue I would encourage them to dump those and work on building strong 2* teams. Pick a single 1* character to build to completion, either Spider-Man, Juggernaut, or Iron Man and sell the rest for space. you can solo the DDQ 1* node with any of those, and it's the only place they're required in the game. Once you have all 2* characters rostered and champed, keep them, and add the 3*s as you have hero points for roster slots. Don't let the game drive you up the tiers before you're prepared for it, it is now very easy (relative to the old days) to use the favorite character system to chase characters you want on your own timetable, and shards don't expire.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    You didn't mention it but have you gone back and played through all the previous nodes in prologue? Most of them are repeatable and have tokens and hero points as rewards.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2021
    Read this and try to follow it: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74686/2019-guide-to-progressing-fast

Advancing in this game requires time and patience, but you can progress reliably.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    They threw in 3* Human Torch cover in prologue as node reward. Back then, I don't think we had this. Or was it already there? If so, I suspect they did this so that new players can trigger the Support feature and get their Support starter pack. 

Ragnarok's level is 140. So, you don't have to rush to beat him. I remember using 2* Storm, Magneto and Black Widow to beat him. Use black widow to steal aps, Magneto to create blue tiles and Storm to stun and gather APS with her green power.

Could you share your roster? It seems like you are rostering more than one 1*.
  • Tanglefoot
    I have 28 characters in my roster. Like my 4th and 6th covers were Spider-Gwen 4* and Iron-Fist 4*, both at level 70 when I had a total of like 6 covers. I am thinking it has screwed up my tiering and matchmaking. Have debated flushing spidergwen as it sounds like she is ranked pretty poorly
     Not sure of the best way to share my entire roster, short of typing it in.
    yes I have 4 1*s, all full powered 
    Spiderman lvl 50
    black widow lvl 40
    juggernaut lvl 40
    iron man lvl 50
    i use them lots, especially BW with her 5 round freeze, but know I really need to bail on 2 or 3 of them when I need roster spots. Just realized this morning that I had a cover for 3* captain marvel modern expire because I did not free up a spot for her and I could have used her in the Dark Reign Americas which opened up today.

figure I have a couple options for best 2* teams, but they all need to grow
    thor 3/4/2 level 60, magneto 2/1/4 lvl 47, storm 4/1/2 lvl 47
    OBW 1/2/3 lvl 39, daken 5/5/2 lvl 70, wolverine 5/3/5 lvl 65

also
    captain America 5/4/4 lvl 86 but I understand he is not really a great character
    hawkeye 2/4/2 lvl 50
    ares 2/3/3 lvl 47

for 3*s
    iron Man 2/1/1 lvl 55
    doc strange 0/0/2 lvl 50
    iron fist 1/0/1 lvl 43

what is currently noise
    beast 0/0/1
    black widow 1/0/0
    deadpool 1/0/0
    gambit 0/1/0
    msmarvel Kamala khan 0/0/1
    luke cage 0/0/1
    quicksilver 1/0/0
    the hood 1/0/0
    wolverinePatch 0/0/1

guessing good 3* teams will probably focus around doctor strange, Ironman, ironfist, quicksilver, Luke cage, though there might be value in the hood and patch, but there are not many skills in there - did I miss anything which should be obvious?

right now only really keeping Deadpool for the Deadpool points - not sure what good they are

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,106 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Welcome to the game.  Good to see some new blood in the forums!

Deadpool points are good for when you have his WHALES! WHALES! WHALES! ability.  If you use that, you have a choice to "Drop all the Whales!"  it costs 28K deadpool points, but will instantly kill the enemies you're currently facing.  It won't automatically win a wave node, but can take care of LVL 650 enemies.  it's a very good thing to have as a team-up for a Panic button in an otherwise unwinnable node.

Black Widow and Ares are a good combination for a 2-star duo.  Rainbow coverage, and you can steal some of the green that Ares gives the opponents with Widow's purple.  She can also quasi-heal damage that Ares does to himself with Sunder.

You're correct about Dr. Strange being a top-tier 3-star.  In all non-Ultron Sentry events, he is one of the best ones available.  I'd probably make him your favorite, if you don't already have a particular favorite character.  Piece of advice, though - don't level him up way past the rest of your characters, or else you'll end up in 3-star PvP with him as your only champ.  Shards last forever.  Between his goon smacking, stun, and passive healing of your characters, he'll help out your longevity more than just about anyone else.

Iron Fist is another good one for his passive damage every turn, and cheap purple that can either board shake or hit very hard.  Once you get a couple of true healers (Patch and Daken) Thanos will make very short work of the early event nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    The way you play now reminds me of the way I played in the beginning. Back then, I had most 1* fully levelled and I like Black Widow the most because of her team stun.

Those 4* cover won't screw up your MMR. Generally, MMR is based on your top 3 to 5 highest levelled characters. When you champ your 2*, their levels will be 94 anyway. Wait till you see something more shocking: new players like you with 5* characters with 2-3 covers and champed 2*. It's totally normal. Rostering 5* covers without leveling them up won't affect your MMR. Not that I'm encouraging to use your cp to pull for 5* cover.

The general advice is you need only one 1* and either Juggernaut or Spiderman is a good choice. Spiderman is more versatile imo.

Daken and Wolverine can tank Ragnarok's attack because they can true heal. The top 3* to focus on are: Dr Strange, IM40, Thanos, Hawkeye, Patch. Again, this is my opinion based on PvEs and Lightning Rounds. For PvPs, Luke Cage and Iron Fist is a classic team. You see Dr Strange a lot too. 

I find PvPs to be much harder for newer players compared to 2017 due to the higher damage for newer 5*. As you progress up and champ 3*, you will see more and more Polaris and 5* Deadpool, Heimdall, Adam Warlock. That's why I recommend 3* Hawkeye because he can help you gain 2 purple and 2 blue ap when you match enemy special tiles.

PvP is a topic for another day. Timing is important in PvP. Getting top 10 or top 5 in SCL 5/6 is easy. If you are going for wins, play PvP 18-28 hours after the slice that you choose begin. The number of "normal" opponents will be higher. For PvP, choose the highest SCL available because it doesn't affect your MMR.

At your stage, SCL 4 should be manageable for you in story events. Go any higher and you will burn out quickly.