***** Adam Warlock (Infinity Watch) *****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If his yellow is burst heal, it will make him a terrible character. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems decent enough, one to scratch off my wishlist :mrgreen:

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    If his yellow is burst heal, it will make him a terrible character. 
    Would agree, but i don't know if there's any reason to expect the notes to be wrong. 

I'm pretty glad this kit seems good. while Mags seems dumb, the other two (Deadpool/Warlock), seem pretty good medium tier

• HoundofShadow
    Probably because his purple is a burst heal. The normal expectation would be both abilities be burst heal or true heal. Or, sometimes some part of the note are wrong. That's why clarification is needed.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doom has a burst and true heal, it’s not unheard of.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    Probably because his purple is a burst heal. The normal expectation would be both abilities be burst heal or true heal. Or, sometimes some part of the note are wrong. That's why clarification is needed.

i can't think of any character (aside from GEDoom, which is one true, one burst) that has two healing powers?
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    Omegased said:

i can't think of any character (aside from GEDoom, which is one true, one burst) that has two healing powers?
    Yes, but Doom only targets himself on one of his skills. This is what is leading to confusion as Warlock targets himself for both skills. Why one would be different than the other is beyond me. Clarification needed.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Release Cover Store:
    Miraculous Adam Warlock Cover Store - 12/17 - 12/27
    • Chance to get Magneto (Age of Apocalypse). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls
    Isn't this supposed to be Adam Warlock?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I have looked at him o am struggling to see a 5* partner for him.  He is an obvious tank for Y/P/Black and having him consistently heal is good.  Okoye is a tough pairing because AW will tank yellow and Okoye yellow is the power to fire.  Thor could generate yellow, but it might not be good without Okoye.  

I don’t think he is bad just missing synergy from the 5* tier right now
  • wymtime
    wymtime said:
    As I have looked at him o am struggling to see a 5* partner for him.  He is an obvious tank for Y/P/Black and having him consistently heal is good.  Okoye is a tough pairing because AW will tank yellow and Okoye yellow is the power to fire.  Thor could generate yellow, but it might not be good without Okoye.  

Sinister comes to mind, due to the trap tile shenanigans. As for the third...I dunno. Maybe a Red/Green user for coverage. Shame that Yelena's trap ability is also on Purple.
    What’s sad is Sinister would not be good with him or against him.  Sinister could delete black as well on the same team.  Against AW warlock match damage or black won’t do enough damage to trigger Original Sinister.

I do think he could be a strong transition 5* with Cloak and Dagger or even Domino.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think he will live in the rankings somewhere north of Doom, simply because of his AOE passive, which we hope is boostable. Otherwise they feel pretty comparable to me, particularly if you have a good Victorious support on Doom.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited December 2020
    His AoE will happen earliest on turn 2 and he eats 15% of current health if you have enough black ap. With each new fight, Adam Warlock' passive AoE damage will get worse as his starting HP gets lower. So, without true healing, one would wonder why they would want to match black tiles. Putting Sinister with him might not be bad afterall if you don't want to trigger his passive AoE.
  • wymtime
    edited December 2020
    wymtime said:
    wymtime said:

Sinister comes to mind, due to the trap tile shenanigans. As for the third...I dunno. Maybe a Red/Green user for coverage. Shame that Yelena's trap ability is also on Purple.
    What’s sad is Sinister would not be good with him or against him.  Sinister could delete black as well on the same team.  Against AW warlock match damage or black won’t do enough damage to trigger Original Sinister.

I do think he could be a strong transition 5* with Cloak and Dagger or even Domino.
    I'm wondering about the feasibility of Thanos/Adam/Heimdall.

Adam and Heimdall can shrug off Thanos' Court Death. Heimdall can fortify Thanos' countdown as well as make all powers cheaper (except his Blue of course). Alternate between Heimdall's and Adam's Yellow as needed. Bifrost Bridge also provides both Yellow and Black AP to fuel Adam.

Okoye is an alternative to Heimdall, although Court Death won't benefit from her boost.
    How about an all passive team.  Onslaught and Professor X.  Onslaught and Professor X can cause cascades to generate black and yellow AP.  Keep healing warlock.

Ok this is what I am thinking Apoc/BRB/Warlock.  Let Adam match damage crush you opponent and let Apoc boost his AOE.  5,3,5 build.  
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:

GEDoom as the 3rd. You steal a yellow or black each time the opponent makes a match in those colors. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    So some back of the envelope math on his Black at 5 covers which appears to be the consensus.
    At 1 match he has 3 black so it doesn't trigger. At 2 matches, he has 6. It will then trigger for 3 straight turns (4 or more). That means he loses .85*.85*.85=38.5% health which is 70136*.385=27063 health leaving him with 43073 health and he will damage the enemy team for 27063*.6=16237.
    The problem is that his Yellow heal only does 7009 per cast (5 cover) which means you need to fire it 4 times (24 yellow) to fully heal!
    None of that considers the fact he will almost surely be in front all the time taking match damage. It's going to be very hard to keep him even remotely healthy if you are matching Black. Not sure 5 black covers is the way to go (might be better off at 5/5/3 and hope the trap tiles do the damage and better healing.
    KGB
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I think he is complex enough that I want to see him in action before going out too far on a limb, but my first impression is not favorable.  Here are some thoughts (in no particular order):
    (1) high health, but not the highest match damage (though his passive will generally give him the highest match damage in the end)
    (2) passive self damage, but only active true healing, and no self-acceleration.  I would really have preferred if his black passive converted the ap to yellow a la OMD.  I hate that he caps out at less than a 2:3 enemy:self damage ratio.  That wouldn't bother me as much if he had strikes or some other damage boost.  but he doesn't.  seems like he was designed with damage boosters in mind, just like everyone else.
    (3) no active damage whatsoever.  He does get traps (not so good), boosted match damage (potentially useful) and passive damage ticks (almost always good), but nothing to really get excited about.  There are now many other characters in the 4* and 5* tier that are way more interesting in terms of producing passive damage output
    (4) true healing (yay, I love it!), but quite weak healing overall.  it's active without any acceleration, and would require almost a full 30ap to go from near death to near max.  These modern true healers have active powers that are only barely superior to classic 5* passive healing.
    (5) not sure of the numbers, but black/yellow/purple feels like a relatively rare color combo, so that's nice.
    (6) cheap powers.  Yay!
    Mostly, I think this is a character that will be a real annoyance when essential and uncovered.  Otherwise I just don't see much use for him.  Warlock's value mostly seems to be that he will put out a decent amount of passive damage early in a match. but we have polaris, IH, kitty for that already.  If I want strong match damage and passive damage output, isn't IH superior (and also has more defensive scarecrow value)? 

edit: his trap tiles will always be yellow.  This seems bad to me in a variety of ways.  it will make him less appealing with thor, as he will block yellow collection, and will also be much less effective against teams without a yellow power (and like most non-jj traps is basically useless against goons).  Why aren't more traps like yelena's?  I didn't appreciate it enough when she released, but the fact that she always spawns traps on a color that the enemy will chase is a huge asset to her. 
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Trying to imagine how well he would play with Apoc, as Apoc is my only 5* champ.

As long as Warlock's black passive can be boosted by Apoc's yellow, and you can keep his HP high until both Apoc's yellow is out and Warlock's black procs, it could be brutal.

His purple actually provides a really good amount of heal if you can get to the matches, but since they are traps they can  get overridden by Apoc's repeaters and protects or any enemy specials...

If I'm understanding the wording right, Warlock's yellow will give him over 18k true heal when champed (just over 25% of his total health) if he's under half health when you fire the power.  That's a huge boost but considering you need to fire Apoc's yellow first, who knows if I'd have the AP to fire Warlock's yellow when needed.

I can't see them being great together.  Maybe with half-Thor working as a partial yellow battery and trap-matching cascade machine?  But my Thor is only 2 covers so won't work for me.

I'll be interested to see how much I can try out in his shield sim and Introducing events.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    A negative to pairing with valkyrie: her yellow passive will put strikes on yellow overriding or blocking his purple power's traps from being placed only on yellow tiles.  Depending on how the 15% health taken for Warlock's black is computed, it may even trigger valkyries yellow itself.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh stupid me with all the excitement I misread his yellow as if he had always a passive heal, not an active power :S , being a passive heal ala OML made him work in my mind (also as a Apoc and Okoye partner), but being yellow an active power really hurts him and changes all that as both damage boosters need yellow too.

I am not so sure now he is a good char anymore, interesting for sure, but he might not be that useful after all :(