***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I can't see the day where we can earn 50% of a 5* new release in that way. It would significantly reduce the incentive to spend in the HP and CP stores.

I think we can speculate, with a relatively high degree of accuracy based on previous economic decision taken by demi/d3, that we won't see anything like that largesse were they to run a 5* shield training. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The cost of 5* is approximately 8 times of 4*. 200 is the number of 4* shards you get from 4* shield training. 200/8 gives you 25 5* shards. If the dev want to increase the number of shards, difficulty level will increase significantly. It can be a min of level 650 enemy, scale up to 750 or 850 in 5* shield training. Or they can make it in such a way that you have only one try to win each node. Regardless of whether you have bad connection or you clicked the wrong option, it's considered a try and that node will lock out. Those 5* shards will be distributed across all node rewards. It could be 100 - 250 shards spread across all nodes.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the update, Tiger_Wong.  That is very helpful.  I have a champed Heimdall so nice to see there could be some synergy.  I try to champ all 5* (I'm not doing very well) so will probably try to champ Mags also.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto AoA 5/3/5
    Vulture 5/4/4
    Heimdall 4/4/5 or maybe 5/3/5

ran this team a few times in Mags pvp (Obviously not with a champed mags but my Heimdall is champed) and there is synergy here. You can send Magneto and Vulture up to avoid a one shot with Heimdalls yellow but you should probably only have to do that once. 

Vulture gets most of the AP for everyone while in the air. But if Mags is airborne too, Heimdall takes 33% less damage which becomes significant because after Vulture lands, you can heal a bunch of that damage back with Heimdall’s blue. Heimdall also lowers the AP needed for Mags and Vulture to go in the air and/or fortify Mags and vultures repeaters. 

Basically, Heimdall is the tank, Vulture builds the meter, Magneto uses it. 

Yes, I know “Waaaaaaah! But it’s not meta! Waaaaaaah!” If that’s all you’re looking for, then just hoard and shut up. 

Heimdall + vulture obviously have great synergy (vultures make ap on two colors instead of just one, and his strongest color is blue, so he is a great battery for heimdall).  But is Mags really the best third here?  wouldn't you be better offer with a damage booster, or someone who can make better use of all the green that vulture will make (what's the best green in 5* land these days?  still halfthor?)
  • Vhailorx
    AXP_isme said:
    I can't see the day where we can earn 50% of a 5* new release in that way. It would significantly reduce the incentive to spend in the HP and CP stores.

I think we can speculate, with a relatively high degree of accuracy based on previous economic decision taken by demi/d3, that we won't see anything like that largesse were they to run a 5* shield training. 

very true.  But there is no reason they have to give out 250 (or even 200) shards for a 5* welcome to shield event.  even if it had just 25 shards like introducing, it would still be fun for all via the chance to use the new 5*, and useful to vets because of the extra LT and cp.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Magneto AoA 5/3/5
    Vulture 5/4/4

ran this team a few times in Mags pvp (Obviously not with a champed mags but my Heimdall is champed) and there is synergy here. You can send Magneto and Vulture up to avoid a one shot with Heimdalls yellow but you should probably only have to do that once. 

Vulture gets most of the AP for everyone while in the air. But if Mags is airborne too, Heimdall takes 33% less damage which becomes significant because after Vulture lands, you can heal a bunch of that damage back with Heimdall’s blue. Heimdall also lowers the AP needed for Mags and Vulture to go in the air and/or fortify Mags and vultures repeaters. 

Yes, I know “Waaaaaaah! But it’s not meta! Waaaaaaah!” If that’s all you’re looking for, then just hoard and shut up. 

Heimdall + vulture obviously have great synergy (vultures make ap on two colors instead of just one, and his strongest color is blue, so he is a great battery for heimdall).  But is Mags really the best third here?  wouldn't you be better offer with a damage booster, or someone who can make better use of all the green that vulture will make (what's the best green in 5* land these days?  still halfthor?)
    Who cares? This is a Magneto AoA thread. Why would I make a post about  a team with half thor or whomever in a thread about Magneto AoA?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx said:
    Magneto AoA 5/3/5
    Vulture 5/4/4

Who cares? This is a Magneto AoA thread. Why would I make a post about  a team with half thor or whomever in a thread about Magneto AoA?

Clearly, I should have paid closer attention to your last sentence.  My post was almost entirely extraneous.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Magneto AoA 5/3/5
    Vulture 5/4/4

Clearly, I should have paid closer attention to your last sentence.  My post was almost entirely extraneous.
    For a Mags/Vulture combo you could add in DD to use the green.  He will also tank yellow but not use it.  Another green user could be Thanos.  Send Magneto and Vulture Airborn before Thanos Green fires to avoid team damage.  All in all you can make Mags work it will just always be slow and clunky needing to pay special attention
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Magneto AoA 5/3/5
    Vulture 5/4/4

Why, I don't know! Maybe to point out how bad he is in comparison?  :p
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    If any of the teams mentioned above appear in Simulator going up to lvl 630 (for the 5* essential node), I’m blaming you people :lol: 
    My Archangel: hold my beer.
  • Kolence
    I was trying to make Mags work in Simulator. Started 3/2/2, I think. Ended 4/3/2.
    Legion was a PITA ...
    One team that looked like it might have decent synergy was Goblin + Ghost Rider. GG fortifies all the Repeaters and CDs, GRRR's green Repeaters leave more Blue and Yellow on the board.
    Another one was Vulture + Sandman. Vulture is the battery for Mags blue and Sandman stun. Also, Sandman can make the board more yellow. 

After all the teams and nodes I've tried him on, and quite a few wipes, I'll say I really like the blue + yellow airborne and nuke idea. It was very fun, when it worked. It is slow on its own, but at least it WORKS (when it works).
    Red is very unreliable. It can work, too. But not that well. The repeaters and special tiles are lost too easily/quickly. Plus it is put on hold when you do go airborne. 
    And finally, yellow. It might not be bad as a standalone power, other than it feels like the tiles are too few and too randomly picked (on that color) to be usable for many strategies. It's more of a fire it and hope for the best situation, most of the time :) But since you want all the yellow for that cool main move, I just ended ignoring it almost always. A few times I tried to do anything other than just place a few protects, with it, it was very underwhelming.

I'll update my preferred tweaks accordingly as well...
    BLUE - surprisingly, fine as is. a little slow, but ok. can't all be super meta fast...
    On second thought, a minor gripe for me was it only counts green basic tiles. Which can be helpful, until there are no tiles left. I'd like it to try green first, but settle for any basic color once the green is gone. It already is quite slow to build up and execute, so any additional potential hick up really isn't needed.
    YELLOW - make it passive would be the best, I think. Or allow more utility some other way - more tiles or more targeted or selective placement. But passive would be best, because blue+yellow :)
    Maybe make/improve 2-3 tiles each turn, from 1-2 colors you have most AP in? That way, you might somewhat plan where they'd go, and it would be capable of creating tiles on any color or letting Kitty c. breaker run in circles, for instance. 
    RED - not really sure what this one wanted to be, but repeaters should go away at the very least... Probably best to go passive too, but no reason for this one not to spend red, somehow.
    Maybe tie the strikes and damage and stealing tiles to friendly blue and enemy yellow matching, when you have enough red? And drain that red for some of it. Probably stealing tiles to friendly strikes part.
    It really has a few effects already, and all the different tiles can get hard to track in a hurry, so making it more simple, just matching his colors, could help with that.

Meh... At least I feel a little better after ranting some more about him. XD
  • Kolence
    After playing some more, I have to say his mechanics are growing on me. :)
    He's still slow to get going unless he has help from someone else providing AP in his colors. Even then, he doesn't become exactly blindingly fast or anything... But the part about going airborne and having repeaters hasn't bothered me that much, in practice. At least while it's still 2 turns as blue isn't yet maxed.
    Either he's with Kitty and her buffing a few strike tiles and ususally more protect tiles, continously, becomes very tough and adds strength to his repeater damage, and eventually going airborne for some more hits. Or I'm building around an AP battery. Vulture is good as he can go airborne too, while providing blue. Daken too plays well with him, as matching black also gives red and they can double on the purple repeaters.
    Magneto's yellow does remain underwhelming to me. It has that boost, and it realy works great with Kitty buffing the tiles. But it's too slow for pvp Hulk or even in pve on a more difficult node.
    I wish it was doing something more both passively and actively, really.
    Maybe add a protect tile on their strong color when an X-Men (Or a Mutant? To include Daken.) is hit by a power - to help with Hulkoye.
    And for the active, to choose one tile that it will convert, while the rest can stay random. It would give some more utility for us players, while the AI would still be bad when using it. 
    I would hope with a bit of passive help, he could pair up with Kitty or Daken to fight a few of the meta PvP teams even.
    I don't know, I guess he's still not champed, and I might see it differently when I play with champed numbers... But those protects are still 6 AP to place, and go on the same color, meaning more might get matched away at once. And if you use it on green to stop Hulk's AoE, they are more likely to be gone sooner than later.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I’ve been running around with him in PVE as my Mag5 is 3/2/1. I gave him Avengers Tower support because at lvl 4, it has a 55% chance to fortify a special and if I match 4, I get a shield tile. 

Pairing him with Kitty (lockheed support) is definitely the way to go. It’s just like w/BRB but it feels more Immediate. You’re taking -1 match damage from turn 1. By turn 3, you can forget about powers too. So despite how slow your team will be, you’ll have plenty of time to get AP. 

I feel like..... the yellow active power is only if the worst thing ever happens and all your shields get wiped early. If that happens, pop that yellow and start receiving -1 damage again and buff. 

I really think Mag5 shines vs waves. His red repeater is strange, but pretty nice. Converting A/S/Ps at the power they’re at into strikes is really good. Most of the other converters in 5* tier convert and create strikes with their own set number. Vs higher level goons that put out higher power specials, this becomes a pretty nice power. And you tack on damage too. 

I like this duo with Cable the most so far. Collect red and match yellow fortify the repeaters. It’s not so hard if you fire Mag5s blue. After Mags comes back down from being airborne, pop Cable’s yellow for more strikes. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    So I just took my 45X BRB and my 3/3/3 unleveled Magneto up against a champed Hulkoye team in the Frost PvP, and it was highly effective at preventing the AOE. I imagine Kitty/BRB/Magneto will put an end to most pick-3 hulk teams, and it’ll probably be great as long as the required character is an X Person.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does Throg yellow ability work with Magneto blue? Ie Throg use his yellow to send magneto airborne, then when magneto returns, his blue ability will trigger. 

This may work as throg yellow can get as cheap as 3ap. Won’t sacrifice the yellow ap required for magneto blue hits. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    atomzed said:
    Does Throg yellow ability work with Magneto blue? Ie Throg use his yellow to send magneto airborne, then when magneto returns, his blue ability will trigger. 

This may work as throg yellow can get as cheap as 3ap. Won’t sacrifice the yellow ap required for magneto blue hits. 
    It shouldn't, as it's Magneto's active blue that does the damage.  However, when he returns from airborne after casting blue, it will trigger's Throg's passive that destroys all charged tiles of Magneto's strongest color (blue).
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:

It shouldn't, as it's Magneto's active blue that does the damage.  However, when he returns from airborne after casting blue, it will trigger's Throg's passive that destroys all charged tiles of Magneto's strongest color (blue).
    Thanks! Throg yellow passive (activate when ally return from being airborne) is a lot more useful than it seems. A pity he is a 4*... will play well with other 5*.
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    I just ran kitty mags and polaris through shield simulator pvp intentionally seeking out strong teams...

Ihulk, okoye, thor (granted, he wasn't starting at half health) apoc, brb, etc...

I was looking for the teams I normally skip because I was bored and wanted to see if there was a way to make m5gs work...

And I just sailed through 7 or 8 wins in a row.

Of course, one unfriendly opening board meant I was toast, but it was fun while it lasted.

M5gs contributed with the passive protect boost and his red actually helped drop enemy special tiles more quickly so that kitties circuit breaker could do damage more often.  I used his blue twice to get some yellow early then spam yellow when he came back.  Otherwise I used polaris stun.

I'm not saying he's great, but it was fun for a few minutes.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed him. He is the specialist in damage 1. When Im short on health packs playing pve now I know who to play. 
    With BRB I could beat the first 3 clears of great nuker kaecilius without wasting a healthpack on lost in time pve.
    In pick 3 polbrb team is great like I said in this thread. 
    In wave nodes it is posible to fire his blue and it is funny. 
    Finally when I can I run him with Ihulk and Vulture on pve. It is posible to keep flying both and sometimes the 3 survive. And that sure is funny as hell.