Avengers vs Ultron - Event Details (4/17/19)

2»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been liking 4Pool on the side nodes, especially with Okoye (even without her being champed). Especially with the ones who Swarm around, they usually manage to hit most, if not all, of the Countdown for What tiles, and with Okoye around, those are usually one-shotting even Lvl 300-ish Sentries.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Nightcrawler (Blue) and Mordo (Purple) are also good against the sentries. Their (never used) AP totals always climb so high, making them quite devastating. Especially in wave nodes.
    But don't use Nightcrawler vs Ultron.  BAMF! makes those bombs drop awfully fast...so far, my son's only loss was due to some unfortunate bomb placement after a BAMF when experimenting with Nightcrawler.  His roster's best team is probably his champed Hulkbuster with 3-star Iron Fist and Cyclops.  Iron Fist's purple for black.  Cyclops's yellow and Iron Man's blue for red tiles, and then one big Eye Blast and Repulsor Punch to knock Ultron out.
    They're talking about side node (sentries) not the boss itself (Ultron). So no bombs to worry about.
    Oh yeah, Nightcrawler works very well against the sentries.  I just wanted to make sure others didn't make the same mistake of "Hey, if he works well against the sentries, let's try him against the Big Boss!"  That...doesn't work quite as well. :(
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Nightcrawler (Blue) and Mordo (Purple) are also good against the sentries. Their (never used) AP totals always climb so high, making them quite devastating. Especially in wave nodes.
    But don't use Nightcrawler vs Ultron.  BAMF! makes those bombs drop awfully fast...so far, my son's only loss was due to some unfortunate bomb placement after a BAMF when experimenting with Nightcrawler.  His roster's best team is probably his champed Hulkbuster with 3-star Iron Fist and Cyclops.  Iron Fist's purple for black.  Cyclops's yellow and Iron Man's blue for red tiles, and then one big Eye Blast and Repulsor Punch to knock Ultron out.
    They're talking about side node (sentries) not the boss itself (Ultron). So no bombs to worry about.
    Oh yeah, Nightcrawler works very well against the sentries.  I just wanted to make sure others didn't make the same mistake of "Hey, if he works well against the sentries, let's try him against the Big Boss!"  That...doesn't work quite as well. :(
    Like me, just now, with 5* Captain Marvel. Using her just for fun, not familiar enough with her yet to remember that 5 green covers makes that countdown go away, so she starts destroying rows (and dropping Ulton bombs) even faster.... oops.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    This one's really making me struggle at the higher levels.  Having mostly reliable results with IM40, Grey Widow, and SWitch.  It's a risk.  With any luck, SWitch powers Widow's purple, allowing me to set up four-matches to surgically remove bombs.  Widow's red for on-the-spot cleanup.  IM40 recharging as much as possible to fuel everything else, and firing red when there's nothing Widow may need to clear.

Without luck, SWitch eats the ground out from under a bomb and drops it straight to the bottom.

LT token got me a Hela cover and a bonus Kitty though, so it was worth it.
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Only trouble with SWitch is sometimes her bomb gets destoyed before it fires. I use Chavez, Nick fury and BW grey. Nick and GSBW take ages to fire abilities which suits Chavez just fine ;)
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    I'm fed up with sentries. Ultron himself sometimes goes down the first move if you start off with a match 5. The sentry sub nodes are slow, aggravating, board shake crazy and chews health packs no matter who you throw at them. They ought to be banned from the game.

In the BWGS and Switch subnodes I actually use Charlie's Angels. That usually works well, provided you don't get a terrible board.
  • sambrookjm
    qandols said:
    I'm fed up with sentries. Ultron himself sometimes goes down the first move if you start off with a match 5. The sentry sub nodes are slow, aggravating, board shake crazy and chews health packs no matter who you throw at them. They ought to be banned from the game.

In the BWGS and Switch subnodes I actually use Charlie's Angels. That usually works well, provided you don't get a terrible board.
    Yeah, the side nodes in this one are generally more annoying than the Big Boss nodes.  In pretty much every event, though, after the first day, the side nodes are more time/health pack consuming than the Big Boss Nodes are, thanks to roster scaling vs. Alliance Progress scaling.

Depending on your roster, you still have a few choices to make them pay, though.
    Medusa (So Much Free AP!)
    Mockingbird (How frequently do the Sentry Fighters get a Match 4 thanks to their board destruction?)
    Kraven (Reduce all of their strengths to 1)
    Prowler (Steal them)
    Elektra (Steal them)
    3-star Doc Ock
    3-star Loki

Or just blast your way through with Thorkoye.

• sambrookjm
    Huh...just died in the Ultron node because Okoye's passive didn't boost a Team Up power.  I used a Hammer and Anvil, and even with the 3 Team up AP left, it should have been enough to kill off Ultron.  Instead, it just did the base damage, and two bombs finished my team off the next turn.  Are Team Up powers supposed to be boosted by her passive?
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker

Depending on your roster, you still have a few choices to make them pay, though.
    Medusa (So Much Free AP!)
    Mockingbird (How frequently do the Sentry Fighters get a Match 4 thanks to their board destruction?)
    Kraven (Reduce all of their strengths to 1)
    Prowler (Steal them)
    Elektra (Steal them)
    3-star Doc Ock
    3-star Loki
      You are forgetting my All-Star team for Sentries which is Hawk3ye/ with Medusa at 5/3/5.  He creates so much blue and purple against the Sentries when you match their special tiles it's not too difficult to get to 30 blue AP fairly quickly.  The matches are usually never short but if you concentrate on collecting black, fire black then immediately after Medusa purple it helps speed the match along and makes it fairly easy for Hawk3ye to start the next match at full health.
  • sambrookjm
    Reminder - If you drop a bomb into the bottom row that would make a match, the bomb blows up before the match is made.  Just lost a full health Black Bolt to that, as the charged purple dropped to the bottom row fell right between two other purple tiles.  BOOM went the tile, and down went Black Bolt.  No match made.
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Black panther 5's red halving bomb damage helped me out.  Switch making purple for grey suit to clear out bombs.  Thor 5 and prowler (yoink!) for the outside nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Hawkeyes and DPXF was my favourite team for side nodes. There were constant blue and purple aps gain even when the board is lacking purple or blue. My favourite side node is the one where Nick Fury was required because I was laying down 14 or 21 Fury trap tiles and DPXF bombs on the board.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    It probably says something about Ultron enemies that even unboosted Medusa/Iceman were far more effective for all the side nodes than the boosted characters (even championed).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a little bookend to this I had challenged my Alliance to get stuck in to the Ultron event with "nobody coasting on others efforts" as in the past it was one that we had struggled to finish.

They finished Round 8 before I had got full personal progression by two prizes!

They sure did do me proud! Maybe it was my and my fellow commanders charismatic leadership...or maybe they just really wanted to shut me up :*
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Pardon the necropost, but with so many new characters added to the game since April 2019, I wondered whether anybody has any good recommendations to take out Ultron and his bombs in the main node?  It's been so long that I don't remember what worked well for me last time anyway, but also maybe there are some good new tactics to employ?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gritty and Polaris should be able to take him down easily. It's boring but it works.