***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Supposedly he is a meta reinforcement airborne. Now heimdall is true dangerous because his bridge can deal a lot of damage altough they share same colours.  And he will bring 3 blue AP.
    His passive its truly fearsome. Another xmen member and protect tiles are improved 56%. Those are numbers are for not being underrated as they can shake the meta.
    And finally his best he has the daken repeaters so dangerous plus converting special tiles of enemy into friendly. Definitely that shakes the meta.
    I think he is a great character with a lot of sinergies with other ones.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    The only team I will put him in (as of now) is with Britty. He's going to help reduce the number of healthpacks used against iHulkoye. BRB/Polaris might work too.  96% increase in protect tiles strength is huge.

I think Magneto is specifically designed as an additional option against iHulkoye in pick 3, and maybe pick 2. There's nothing meta about him.
  • Bad
    edited November 2020
    I think he is a bit slow and he has low health, super high match damage. And his best power, red, too expensive that makes him slower. Despite all that, he can shake the meta. Time to time.
    Still its needed a character to stop hulkoye. That would be really ok.
    Edit: well in fact he can be the hulkoye buster. Thanks to the points I said, brb at 5 displays 4 300 protect tiles. With kitty 450 protect tiles on the start. Looking to deny TU hulkoye, and ihulk will not damage much on that battle.
    Now things seem different isnt it?
  • HoundofShadow
    I hope Apocalypse and Prof X will be in his debut store. I don't think there will be much objection to this. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    I hope Apocalypse and Prof X will be in his debut store. I don't think there will be much objection to this. 
    They could throw us a curveball though.

Ghostpool had Ghost Rider (expected) and Rescue (unexpected)
    Heimdall had Hawkeye and Jessica, instead of other Asgardians like Thor, Loki, Hela
    Daken had Strange and Cable, instead of OML
    Killmonger had Okoye (expected) and Black Widow (unexpected), instead of Black Panther
    Onslaught had Prof (expected) and Loki (unexpected)
    Apocalypse had Iceman and Starlord, instead of Archangel or maybe Sinister
    Yelena had Okoye and Black Panther for some reason, instead of Black Widow. Wonder why she and Killmonger were swapped thematically
    iHulk had God Doom and Ghost Rider. Hmm. No Bruce Banner there
    Havok had Black Bolt and Silver Surfer. Ok, there's a Charged tile theme there. Still, no X-Men who have Charged tile mechanics like Storm, Gambit, Cable
    Mr Sinister had Goblin and Thanos. All villains thematically

So yea. The ultimate troll would be having 5* Carol in Mag's store. Maybe Archangel, to complete the Airborne mechanics (since Heimdall is still in Latests).
  • HoundofShadow
    That's a lot of curve balls. Who knows, Hela might be paired up with Apocalypse to complete a certain theme. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    So, i'm trying to understand the benefit of going airborne for longer. Sure, it'll smoosh out most characters, it really seems like too long to do that damage.

I really wanted to like him, but I'm kinda missing how his kit would work with anyone I have champed.... I'm very confused now.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, when he’s Airborne, his repeaters won’t tick down. And as someone mentioned, him having an active Yellow castrates his Blue.

Good grief this guy nerfs himself. His Blue needs a complete overhaul. I’d glady take an exact copy of 2* Mag’s Blue. Red Guardian would have made a better 5* than him.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I feel like I'm missing something. I hope I'm missing something. Cuz it seems like Mag5 isn't terribly good, and Danver5, who was already essentials-only tier got hit with a nerf to avoid a synergy with Mag5 that isn't even terribly good? At least she didn't have far to fall, I guess.
  • Bad
    There is another thing to take a look to. Description says for every 3 yellow AP when returning to airborne he deals a blow of x damage. 
    Although needing a lot of yellow battery, meaning another team viable with thor on offense. Thorokoye magneto could shine there. Heimdall magneto apocalypse and heimdall using all his blue on yellow although being slow.
    Lots of sinergies.
    I didnt read his hellow passive at level 5 grants 48% improvement. Now that its a bunker. He will shake the meta.
  • HoundofShadow
    Not every character has to be meta and aggressive. Sometimes they could be a boost to current anti-meta teams, they serve as an additional option against meta teams or they are for players who like to watch buildup to the finale.

Starting from his only passive power, it increases strength of protect tiles by a multiple of 48%, up to 144%. 

His powers are costly and his repeaters are more than 1 turns. What you expect a team with him is starting slow by taking a defensive stance first, then gradually ramping up the damage for his allies with his strike tiles and repeater damages, and finally dealing the final blow with his blue power. You might argue that many characters can do similar things faster or better than him, but when you use speed or damage/ap as the main guide, this is why majority of 5* are trash or mid tier or whatever terms given to them.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    He´s one of those sneaky characters that can turn the tide of battle suddenly if you´re not paying attention. A lot of planning needs to be involved to achieve this though, something the UI will likely fail on defense. Unfortunately with such a strong emphasis on speed in both pve and pvp he will go underappreciated. 
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    DOA.

If there‘ll ever be an airborne meta, I‘ll be gone while that lasts.

In the upside, my 300 LTs will be hoarded even more. Last 4 5*s where totally underwhelming.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I don’t see him as a threat . He’s slow , Okoye / Polaris will take him ( and any other tile spammers) out by the end of his first stun . 58K health is old school levels . He could be supportive of other metas but I doubt he replaces his way into any meta teams and that basically makes him cannon fodder . Weeks from now I’ll still be facing Britty/Polaris 90% of the time . 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2020
    Since his store opens on American Thanksgiving maybe they will put in some characters related to that holiday , although I can’t think of any way to associate any current 5* to it. 

( I’m guessing Hawkeye for avian association)
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    he looks like he had potential, but missed it.

blue does a ton of damage if you have a lot of yellow!
    ... but it is delayed 2 turns, and they gave him a cheap yellow power so the ai doesn't stock it and damage enhancers (apoc, okoye) have better use for it.
    also, since this isn't (passsive) as opposed to 5bp and vulture, i am not entirely sure it'll trigger if he returns from airborne without firing this particular power himself.

yellow needs some particular teammates to work well, like polaris and brb, and those guys have way better thirds.

red creates a couple of strike tiles and repeaters that do good damage AND convert enemy specials!
    ... but those strikes are very weak and the repeaters are unfortified.

i'd rate him a meh minus overall, pending testing him out.

• MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    When he activates his blue and returns with, say, 30 yellow AP. Does he do
    • (a) one hit of 10*8459 = 84590 damage?
    • (b) ten hits of 8459 damage?
    If the answer is (b), will added skill damage from Apocalypse, Okoye, or Supports added to each hit?
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    Since his store opens on American Thanksgiving maybe they will put in some characters related to that holiday , although I can’t think of any way to associate any current 5* to it. 

( I’m guessing Hawkeye for avian association)
    Or one of the Captain Americas.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    This feels like a character thats supposed to be a counter to iHulk or BRB...      and he fails horribly at either.

Removing 3 green tiles for 10 blue AP and rendering himself useless for 3 turns is pretty damn bad. Doesnt matter how much damage he does, if it's against iHulk he'll just come back instantly.

Yellow active: meh, what the tinykitty is this? The passive part is interesting...   let me guess, when he's airborne it gets disabled doesnt it? *sigh* Could be interesting...   Apoc or Okoye boosting a certain passive will eat through it anyway.

2 turn repeaters that are not even fortified, oh boy, this has a change of being a superb waste of AP every time you use it... oh wait, you do get 2 strike tiles worthy of a 3*. Also, BRB spits out protect tiles at such an alarming rate this power will never catch up at removing enough of them to matter.

I like the artwork.