***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited December 2020 in Character Details
2020-11-10-NC-Magneto-AOP-all-sizes1200x628-Fbpng

Magneto (Age of Apocalypse)

5-Star Rarity 

Affiliations: Heroes, X-Men, Mutants

"In a world where Professor Xavier was killed and Apocalypse reigned supreme, Erik Lensherr was left to pick up the pieces. Magneto fought for a peaceful future with his rebel force of X-Men by his side, only to learn that his world was doomed from the start." 
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
14541 Health / 58447 Health
 205 |  179 |  230 |  28 |  25 |  30 |  114 |  4.0x
 820 |  718 |  922 |  108 |  99 |  117 |  456 |  4.0x
Polar Coordination - 10  AP
Magneto surveys the battlefield, planning the perfect moment to strike. Magneto converts 3 Basic Green tiles to Yellow and goes Airborne for 2 turns. For every 3 Yellow AP Magneto has when he returns from being Airborne, deal a blow of 1148 damage to the enemy (up to 8 . (Max Level 4614 damage)
  • Level 2: Deal 1339 damage. (Max Level 5383 damage)
  • Level 3: Deal 1531 damage. (Max Level 6182 damage)
  • Level 4: Converts 4 tiles.
  • Level 5: Go Airborne for 3 turns and deal 2105 damage. (Max Level 8459 damage)
Eternal Induction - 6  AP
Once in the X-Men, always in the X-Men. Magneto protects his people in the face of danger. Convert 2 basic Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles of a chosen color into strength 69 Protect tiles. If a friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile would be converted, instead improve it by 38. (Max level strength 277/154 tiles)

(PASSIVE) Protect tiles are 28% stronger for each active X-Men member on Magneto's team.
  • Level 2: Convert 3 tiles.
  • Level 3: Create tiles of 77 strength, improve tiles by 68. Protect tile strength is increased by 30%. (Max level strength 308/277 tiles)
  • Level 4: Create tiles of 92 strength, improve tiles by 76. Protect tile strength is increased by 35%. (Max level strength 369/308 tiles)
  • Level 5: Convert 4 Protect tiles. Protect tile strength is increased by 48%.
Magnetic Inhibitor - 9  AP
Magneto manipulates the iron in his enemy's blood, weakening their position. Magneto creates 2 strength 38 Black Strike tiles. Then create 2 Purple 2-turn Repeater tiles that convert 1 enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles to a friendly Strike tile and deal 153 damage. (Max level strength 154 tiles, 615 damage)
  • Level 2: Repeater tiles deal 268 damage. (Max level 1076 damage)
  • Level 3: Repeater tiles deal 383 damage. (Max level 1538 damage)
  • Level 4: Repeater tiles deal 765 damage. (Max level 3075 damage)
  • Level 5: Repeater tiles deal 1454 damage. (Max level 5843 damage)
Release Schedule

Release Events:

Introducing... Magneto - Nov 19-26

• Rewards Iso-8 and a Heroic Token

• Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) Shards in Progression rewards

Cosmic Chaos - Nov 19-24

• Rewards tokens to the Dauntless Magneto Cover Store

• Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) Shards in Placement rewards

Webbed Wonder - Nov 23-27

• Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) Shards in Progression rewards

Sharp Dressed - Nov 19 - 23

• Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) in Placement rewards

Polar Opposition - Nov 22-25

• Rewards tokens to the Dauntless Magneto Cover Store

Offers

Release Cover Store:

Dauntless Magneto Cover Store - Nov 19 - 29

• Chance to get Magneto (Age of Apocalypse). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Special Limited Vault

Erik Lensherr - Nov 26 - 30

• 40 Items

• 1x Light & Shadow Legendary Store Token

• 1x 4-Star Polaris (Lorna Dane) cover

• 3x Random 3-Star covers

• 6x Heroic tokens

• 4x 2500 Iso

• 6x 1000 Iso

• 5x 500 Iso

• 14x Two stars

Special Legendary Store

Light & Shadow - Nov 26 - 30

• 15% chance to get Magneto (Age of Apocalypse), Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men), and Captain America (First Avenger)

• Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2020
    Kitty likes him with Polaris or BRB but is he a third character or waiting for Airborne type?! I didn't mention the nerf part in reference to Danvers but we can see why it happened but that kind of begs the question as to rethinking new characters instead of nerfing established ones that time and effort were sunk into.
    Add on: Is he the grandfather of Pippi Longstocking?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    The red hits pretty good. Yellow active is stupid. Blue is expensive, but I'm wondering how that would work with Vulture. Does that pairing become ultra annoying?
    I don't love him, but there could be an airborne meta developing here. I'm not sure if it's there or if this is another Heimdall, where we are one character away still.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    5* Carol can also send people airborne and is probably a better use for yellow than his.
  • Shaydenn
    Shaydenn Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Was ok with it then I thought that basically he hurts himself for pvp. Blue is pending on yellow, but if the computer is using him as defense it fires yellow... Then killing his blue.  So ehhh
  • dingo
    dingo Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2020
    Really underwhelming. I was expecting so much more from Mags being a 5*. Seems like they dumped this before they left the office to say " see, this is why we nerfed C5rol" not gonna lie, really disappointed.

Edit: His only saving grace for me would be if his blue worked when his is SENT airborne as well. High hopes... 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    for his yellow for enemy special tiles does it just convert them to protect tiles or does it convert them to friendly protect tiles???
  • Sithforever
    edited November 2020
    wymtime said:
    for his yellow for enemy special tiles does it just convert them to protect tiles or does it convert them to friendly protect tiles???
    With the wording on the red ability specifically mentioning friendly tiles the yellow could keep the tiles on the side they are already on unless just poor wording/ typo. Also the red does turn those protect tiles to your side given time.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps the most glaring omission and one of the biggest requests for the 5 star tier is finally here!!

And man is he underwhelming. Reminds me of a certain character who is trending right now (#Carol) with special tiles and delayed damage (airborne, repeaters). Definitely too expensive and his lack of a quality passive (the small protect buff is far from quality) really hurt him. Am I missing something or do all three current Latests seem better than Mags here? And it’s not like the current Latests are particularly stellar. 
  • wymtime
    That blue would be a gnarly interaction with Danver5 red; I can see why the nerf came in but it still feels like kicking a dead dog to nerf her.
    Really confused why Carol Red? The strike tiles needs to be destroyed to generate the yellow AP.  Also her green got nerfed not red or did I miss something?  Even with Polaris it would take a while to fire Magneto’s blue and carols green to generate enough yellow AP to do max damage.  That is a lot of patience for 88k damage when Apocalypse black can do close to that much easier
  • Sithforever
    Perhaps the most glaring omission and one of the biggest requests for the 5 star tier is finally here!!

And man is he underwhelming. Reminds me of a certain character who is trending right now (#Carol) with special tiles and delayed damage (airborne, repeaters). Definitely too expensive and his lack of a quality passive (the small protect buff is far from quality) really hurt him. Am I missing something or do all three current Latests seem better than Mags here? And it’s not like the current Latests are particularly stellar. 
    Currently not missing anything in my opinion as although they are cool the 5s have not been meta since Apocalypse. No barf bags like Bruce Banner and 5s of before but nothing screaming break your hoard to me has come out in awhile.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    I can see a semblance of synergy between Erik and pre-nerf Carol, but certainly nothing that would demand a nerf.

There's also decent enough synergy with Heimdall, who can send him Airborne for a shorter time (even if it costs yellow to do it) and who can fortify some of those repeaters.

I guess I'll wait to see some actual hands-on evaluation, but im sceptical.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like him. Holding for Deadpool/Magneto/Third?, so here's hoping the next 5 is decent, because that's the next big hoard break for me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thought pivot: does Danver5 new spec work better here? I’m trying to picture it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    84590 damage for 10 blue ap seems nice but matches will take some time with Polaris/C5rol. It's not immediate damage because you have to wait three turns. Also, you need to actively match blue if you are banging on this for damage. Nerfing C5rol because of him doesn't make a lot of sense due to them needing long turns to get things going. Matches will be long if you rely on them. Maybe I'm missing some other synergies?

On the other hand, he's a perfect partner for Britty in pick 3 against iHulkoye. Your protect tiles get a 96% boost. It's almost equivalent to Kitty boosting your protect tiles by about 6000 throughout the match every turn.

I wonder if he will be able to be an alternative team with BRB to deal with iHulkoye in pick 2.

I was thinking of OMD and Kitty. Unfortunately, they place their repeaters on purple tiles.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, 10 blue with 30 yellow banked up. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    30 yellow banked up is nice but you still need to hunt for another 10 blue ap plus another 3 turn wait per use. That's six to seven turns to deal out over 80k damage.

You might need to chase green ap to speed up the cycle if you want to reset the board.
  • wymtime
    Blue expensive and conditionally good.  10 AP to wait 3 turns to do conditional damage based on how much yellow AP they have.  

Yellow the way I read it not good.  Converts special tiles on a specified color to protect tiles.  This means if special tiles are on multiple tiles this power fails.  It sounds like it will convert enemy tiles to protect tiles eliminating match damage.  Feels like a **** power unless it converts enemy special tiles to friendly protects.

red a poor mans OMD.  OMD removes 4 enemy special tiles and give up to 8 strikes at 297.  He also has the black passive to give up to 6298 with special tiles out.  Mags gives 2 small strike tiles will convert 1 tile every 3 turns and do 5843 damage.  I feel OMD will do more consistent damage and be better at removing special tiles.

his best build seems to be 5,3,5 and a max level of 450.  
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    His Blue is a total wash. Why would you ever use it over Polaris' or Bill's? And not even Heimdall can save it, because they're both Blue and Heimdall's is a million times better, being able to fortify Mag's repeaters. The only time you'd ever use it if he's the only Blue user like if you're using him with Thorpocalypse. And even then, the Yellow AP will be spent on Poccy's Yellow.

Shame, because 3* Mag's Blue is awesome, and 2* Mag's Blue is decent. Even Onslaught's Blue is better.