5-star Carol Nerf?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    I agree. Pre Polaris/BRB, her red power is supposed to synergise with her green power. Now, it's pretty much useless because you can only activate her red passive using these three methods:

1) You need to bring an ally who can destroy tiles, friendly special tiles included. 

2) Opponent destroys your tiles via powers.

3) You or your opponents destroys your strike tiles via match-4 or greater.

4) Others, if any?

A new 5* is coming out soon.  Let's see if it is the one behind the sudden nerf. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Poor Carol! She was ineffective when she was released and now any self-synergy is gone she's even worse. Of the three parts of the winfinite combo she was the one least in need of tweaking. 

Maybe we could get some new feeders to make up for her nerf?
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    @fight4thedream I guess unannounced nerfs are fine with you.

Demiurge are once again showing their appreciation of us by keeping things interesting.

I hope everyone who got burned by having it happen in the middle of cl10 s2 PvE will have their customer service ticket taken care of appropriately. 

I’m sure we will get our usual nothing from them on this. 
  • Elmato
    Elmato Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2020
    I'd like to return 1 5* Captain Marvel, Gambit style.  

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Elmato said:
    I'd like return 1 5* Captain Marvel, Gambit style.  

Even better they stealth nerf then make sure not to give an enhanced sell back. 

Ahh Demiurge never change your ways. You’re the best. 
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    It’s annoying that they took away a tool that people could use to help them through CL10 PVE, but it’s not surprising they’d do that.

What is surprising and unacceptable is nerfing without notice. Way to disrespect your player base. Why should any of us spend money on this game if they’re going to just nerf characters without any announcement?
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2020
    Stuff like this with a lack of communication is a reason I don't spend money on this game anymore.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    My Captain Marvel/BRB/Polaris-team just got destroyed in SCL 10 in the challenge node before reading this thread. Tried Th4nos for the first time ever with the other two... and it actually worked!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Th4nos works great, he just does less damage and has way less health. In some ways his powerset is better, because Danver5 was for some reason not actually burning the green AP until AFTER all the passives and boardshake resolved. That meant you'd earn up to 30 green, then the 10 would get removed, which meant you couldn't fire off Scuttlebutt AND Photonic Barrage in one turn.
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2020
    Thinking of Shrek 2 where they run from one Starbucks to the other across the street. 5 nerfs gooooo Thanos4. Pretty lame to nerf a 5 star essential one trick pony that only served a purpose in PvE. End of redundant rant.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    C4rnage works on this team as well, and I've even heard of people using Thing with it, and 1* Juggernaut. So the fact that the Winfinite was broken by modifying the least integral component of the chain makes me wonder if Hound isn't correct in surmising there is a 5* coming down the pipe that did some kind of thing with the Photonic Barrage interaction. Ideally this new character wants tons of friendly specials on the board and this is a positive change, but I am not super hopeful at this moment that's the case.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Absolutely amazing! They do nothing about Bishop for over a year despite players daily cries about how broken he is but nerf 5* Carol within just a few months of Polaris's release. Careful folks, you've now entered a logic free zone...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    This reminds me of when they decided 1* Venom was op and nerfed him.  

Carol does nothing outside of PVE.  PVP has been taken over by brb and polaris.  You don't see Carol in PVP.  So, this isn't about competitive balance in the game.  It's 1000% that 4* players were getting "too many" rewards in scl 10.  Considering how they've nerfed rewards in the past year (hp, event tokens), this feels horrible.  
    I mean I got hit by a decent amount of Carol teams whenever I used BRBitty and Polaris but then I would just hit the retal with BRB, Polaris and Th4nos.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Talos is waaaaay OP.  Please nerf him  o:)
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    justsing said:
    It’s annoying that they took away a tool that people could use to help them through CL10 PVE, but it’s not surprising they’d do that.

What is surprising and unacceptable is nerfing without notice. Way to disrespect your player base. Why should any of us spend money on this game if they’re going to just nerf characters without any announcement?

More. The Source problem is not Carol. Its Polaris. Which basically is same as saying that its dev's fault. And instead if saying "we are sorry" they keep her the way she is and nerf Carol.
    It was SO OBVIOUS that she is/would be "a new Bishop".
  • Kusik73
    Kusik73 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Doing something like this unannounced is not cool! 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Is th4nos still intact, or has he been castrated too?
    Also, this is a bad decision.  Nerfing a terrible old character, without any public announcement, just to preserve the $-making power of a popular new 4* is a terrible precedent.
    And what is the real issue here?  The team is winfinite, but too slow to be especially high value over the replacement meta teams in the very hardest challenge nodes, and a huge defensive liability when it's even available in pvp.  Was BRB/Polaris/5*carol having any negative effects on the player experience?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    TH4nos seems unchanged.