5-star Carol Nerf?

MegaBee
MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
edited November 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
Carol's green doesn't destroy friendly tiles anymore. Did this just happen? What the tinykitty, y'all?

Comments

• MegaBee
    OJSP said:
    It looks like it happened with the latest data push. 
    I thought the game was bugging out. "Wait, why are the blasts happening but not destroying those tiles?"
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now, it excludes friendly special tiles. 

Officially, Th4nos is faster than C5rol.  :D

I suspect that it has to be SCL 10 related. 

I went to check if BRB or Polaris received any unannounced nerf. Luckily, their time have yet to come.

• MegaBee
    Wow, that's such tinykitty.  They want more ppl to play scl 10, but then keep taking away the tools 4* players need to punch up.  That and unannounced.  What, are they going to claim it's a "boost" to Carol?  If it's acknowledged at all?  

They can make this change, but all the other changes we've been asking about (reevaluate damage numbers and ap cost for old characters) are so slow to roll out, if at all.

I'm usually not this negative towards the devs, but first Worthy, now Carol?  But, you let Bishop run wild forever???

At least Worthy's nerf was announced, this stealth nerf is completely underhanded.

I really with they'd made some announcement about it, because 5-star Carol was a big part of my ability to do SCL 10, and I'd already made my choice for the current PvP.
  • HoundofShadow
    The last unannounced nerfed before this that they made to SCL 10 was shifting 4* cover(?) further down progression rewards table. I think non-5*/5* players must be punching their weight way above their comfort level with BRB/Polaris/C4rol. Among these three, nerfing C5rol affects the smallest segment of players.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man - of all the components of that trio I expected would get a nerf, it was super not Danver5. Did the green cost reduce some along with it? I see it now costs 10 green, but I feel like it cost slightly more than that before.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited November 2020
    No change to hers. Th4nos's green costs 12. So, you might have remembered his. 
  • MegaBee
    Man - of all the components of that trio I expected would get a nerf, it was super not Danver5. Did the green cost reduce some along with it? I see it now costs 10 green, but I feel like it cost slightly more than that before.
    Nope. It cost 10 green before. The only change is that it no longer destroys friendly tiles.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    Yeah for me it feels weak because I just spent a chunk of time (a little over 40 days) grinding 3 covers for her and champing her, so my new toy just got a recall (after only 26 days of use). I really only use that team in challenge nodes and if I want to push to progression in simulator via wins, so I guess it's not the end of the world, but she is a pretty useless character away from that trio as best I can tell, and now she's basically Star Lord.
  • MegaBee
    OJSP said:
    I have little issue with the actual change (I don’t actually use her that much). However, I have a big issue that there’s no announcement about it. Some people might be using her around the time of the data push and they will be confused that the power suddenly just changed.
    That was me!
  • MegaBee
    OJSP said:
    We don’t know the actual reason for the change, actually. I doubt it’s only because of the winfinite with BRB and Polaris. 

I presume they are worried that her power at the previous state would limit how they could develop future characters’ powers. By limiting the types of tiles it destroys, at least they could somewhat predict the behaviour of the board and interaction with other powers.
    A friend pointed out that, pre-Polaris, this could be considered a buff.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited November 2020
    I doubt so because it'll make her red passive quite useless.

Edit: They should change it to friendly non-strike special tiles.

Come to think of it, the other winfinite that no one can come up with is to make use of her passive yellow ap gain. Future 5* characters who have yellow power might have something to do with this.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    I wish her powers would do SOMEthing immediately; that could have made her at least playable away from BRB/Polaris. 

*edit - this would only have been a pre-Polaris buff if her red came out fortified, and the passive did something that didn't involve tile destruction. Her original moveset was (i guess) supposed to be red, then green, then yellow in firing order, though her yellow is pretty underwhelming
  • MegaBee
    I doubt so because it'll make her red passive quite useless.
    That's a good point. Shows how little I thought of her red passive (my Carol isn't champed, but she has 5 covers in green).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    OJSP said:
    We don’t know the actual reason for the change, actually. I doubt it’s only because of the winfinite with BRB and Polaris. 

I presume they are worried that her power at the previous state would limit how they could develop future characters’ powers. By limiting the types of tiles it destroys, at least they could somewhat predict the behaviour of the board and interaction with other powers.
    A friend pointed out that, pre-Polaris, this could be considered a buff.

Agreed.  It makes the power less useful in the Polaris/BRB context, but more useful in and of itself.  If this didn't happen many, many months after her introduction, I would wonder if that's what they intended with the power all along.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Nobody has updated her character thread's power description with this new information yet. https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/865900#Comment_865900
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Not even surprising which is a shame. She is my third highest level cover and I didn’t even use her with Polaris. 

They could have buffed her as well to make up for the lost functionality. That would have been too generous(TM) though I guess. 

It’s always something.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    They have to change her red passive, and they have to modify her powers to do some direct damage.  Most of her damage was from tile damage from her green destroying rows.  Lower the timer on her red repeater and fortify it.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    jp1 said:
    They could have buffed her as well to make up for the list functionality. 
    That's the part that makes me think this wasn't a planned, thought out rebalance but a "oh no, this just won't do" quick and dirty nerf. Leaving the passive that depended on the piece of functionality that was removed from the green is the smoking gun in my mind this was actually a "fix" for the Winfinite.