App lag, high battery usage, and heat [Investigating]

JamesGam
JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
1. App is laggy and stutters, especially when editing a deck or looking at the card collection (this also spreads to other non-in-match portions of the game, i.e. moving from events to vault). When swiping page to page or card to card, it clearly takes an extra second to register; resulting in ghost swipes, wrong directional swipes, or unresponsiveness. Also cards load in about 80-90% of original single card view and then proceeds to 100% - in other words it stutters to load 100% single card image size. 

2. Has always been an issue and continues to be. The battery drain of this app is far too high even with "power saving" mode on. With the new update, appears app drains more battery but cannot be certain. Went from 50% battery to 8% (plugged in/charging) for playing 4 standard TG matches and 2 legacy TG matches with 4-5 deck edits in between (including buildng a similar shell deck with a different PW). When will this ever be improved? 

This is the only app on my phone that drains more battery than can be charged.

3. Its not overheating per se; but, it gets hot. Either provide a lower graphics mode or something to further reduce phone strain. Or even better filters for the deck edit card collection view. Or the option to turn off full art view feature. Or having a forced card art/picture database load thay we can manually run (instead of loading as you see parts of the game after a reinstall)

Samsung S6
Andriod 7.0

Comments

• JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    critman said:
    JamesGam said:
    1. App is laggy and stutters, especially when editing a deck or looking at the card collection (this also spreads to other non-in-match portions of the game, i.e. moving from events to vault). When swiping page to page or card to card, it clearly takes an extra second to register; resulting in ghost swipes, wrong directional swipes, or unresponsiveness. Also cards load in about 80-90% of original single card view and then proceeds to 100% - in other words it stutters to load 100% single card image size. 
    I was thinking this was a function of the fact that the app has had to load all of it's images fresh after the update. If you make sure that all the card images are loaded, and then retry the operation, do you still have the same problem?
    Yeah I am aware of that. But the lag is much more severe. And usually, cards only load as you see them; so if i filter only zendikar rising and all the images have been loaded there should be little to no lag - but that was not the case.
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I’ve tried to use the power-saving mode, but it only makes the frame rate noticeably stutter, and seems more prone to hard crashes. I believe this feature simply throttles the device’s processor to save power. 

If I turn off power-saving, I get a buttery-smooth frame rate for menus and gameplay, but it gobbles energy and produces some heat.

The ability to turn off ALL animations, not the current “half-tinykitty” version of reduced animations, would help some. Perhaps not with lag, but power consumption could improve from that. Match times would decrease if not having to sit thru tokens stacking. But, it is not on the money-making agenda to speed the game up. Every minute a user spends in the app reflects back to their shareholders. This is true across the industry. I hate how it drives them to purposefully slow the game down, or leave it slow. They have to inflate their data... 

I know some people are HUGE fans of the newly changed flashing animations, when opening a pack, but I am ABSOLUTELY NOT. It gave me a headache and mild nausea, just to open 1 PP!
    I am not epileptic or unusually sensitive to rapid motion and lights. I still had to look away, even with brightness down. 
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    To me, it’s worse than strobes at a concert! I’d SO appreciate giving us an option to turn this garbage off, for my health’s sake! Also people with addictive personalities need an option to completely reduce the excessive dazzle this game has. But then, they wouldn’t hook NEARLY as many suckers / susceptible people.

The mounting evidence is very strong that this is no accident, for almost every mobile game out there. It’s very sneaky, and I’d also say unethical, if no option is given to turn it off / tone it way down. I am also running on dark mode, with reduced white point. Still nauseating!

Dark marketing, no doubt. I’m going to add it into suggestions/feedback. Maybe they’ll have more sympathy for the physical discomfort the change made... :/

iPad Pro (2nd gen, 10.5”)
    iPad OS 14.1.
  • Endbringer
    Endbringer Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Yes I have noticed the same stuttering lag since the update. This absolutely needs to be fixed asap. This is the kind of stuff that will even make veteran whales stop playing.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This issue is now under investigation.