Daxos the Returned’s first loyalty ability, behavior not consistent with a similar PW’s ability[Fix]

Smokincookz
Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
Playing as Daxos, if you have three creatures on the battlefield, without a Greater Aura of Longing token, you cannot fetch your library’s first Aura or Enchantment card with the first ability- when selecting “not now” in response to replacing a creature, no loyalty is used, and nothing happens. 

If you do the same with Nissa, Worldwaker’s first ability, declining to replace a creature with her Forest Tokens, it still consumes 9 loyalty and converts 6 gems to green. She is the one of a few planeswalkers I own that have an ability that first summons a creature, and next has a second effect. 

There are a few more examples of PW’s that first create their support token, fetch, etc, and then create a creature token as the second step, if there is room.

Sarkhan, Unbroken’s second ability, & Garruk, Cursed Huntsman’s first ability make the creature token first step. I am not sure if the second step works without also replacing a creature.

I am fairly certain that Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh’s second ability can first draw cards, and not have to replace a creature with zombie tokens. That one IS worded as draw first, make zombie tokens second, though. Same with Garruk, Cursed Huntsman’s third ability- it makes the support first, and Vicious Wolf tokens next, which are optional if you have no room for them.

Based on the behavior of similarly worded abilities, Daxos should still be able to fetch the first Aura or Enchantment, without also having to create his creature token.

True, the 4 loyalty cost is inexpensive to play. However, Kalemne is not restricted at all in the same fashion, considering her first ability also costs 4 loyalty. Many would argue that her first ability is more powerful than Daxo’s. 

His first ability being unrestricted like Nissa, Worldwaker’s is- that could give him a little power boost, however slight.

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This issue is now under investigation.
  • Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for checking this out! I hope they can rule in Daxos’ favor on this one, he sure does need it! 😅